“Seemed to be a new hotel”

Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Everyone was friendly but they seemed slightly disorganized and somewhat confused when answering some questions. They had the latest technology for their guests in the room and Lobby. They quoted that there was free coffee 24/7 but I never saw it. Anything that you wanted needed to be purchased at a very extremely high cost. I paid $7 for 2 cans of pepsi and 2 candy bars. There was ice available but no vending machines at all. Our room wasn't cleaned til later in the afternoon and then they didn't replace the towels that were lying on the ground. Also, I loved the walk in shower but the water came out at the door so when you walked out onto the bath mat towel, it was soaked. I would recommend staying there but be aware to bring your own snacks and drinks. They did have a little fridge and small coffee machine in the room. Everything was clean and the room was comfortable. You could hear the noise when people entered their hotel room. I stuffed a towel under the door to muffle some of the noise. One last thing, if you plan on watching TV, they do not have an onscreen guide of what's playing so you just have to watch to find a show. They had free HBO and HBO2.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Tracey S, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Yorktown, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott for your lodging needs. We appreciate your feedback as that serves as our measuring stick of how well we are meeting our guest needs. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Please except my sincere apology for your inconveniences you experienced during your visit with us.
There's no excuse for anything less than complete satisfaction. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is a little older, but has been updated and looks very modern and clean. It is also very convenient to tons of shopping and restaurants and in, what appears to be, a nice, safe, mixed residential/commercial area. The staff was prompt and polite upon our arrival and greeted us almost every time we arrived and left the property. We stayed for two nights and housekeeping did a great job freshening up our room. Beware: do not leave one, single personal item on the bed or it will not get made (per hotel policy about not touching guests' personal items). We left a stuffed animal on one bed and a pair of pajamas on the other, and neither beds were made. This was not a huge deal to us, though. The room with two queens felt huge to us compared to other rooms we've stayed in. We had two adults, two children -- one of which was in a very nice Pack 'n' Play provided by the hotel -- and more than enough room for all of us. The shower had plenty of hot water and water pressure (always important!) There was a small, but nice, indoor pool which was obviously at a nice temperature because there were several people in it when we walked by! The beds were a little hard -- my husband and I both slept poorly and woke up with some back and neck pain.

The only downside is that, with this property being a Courtyard, there isn't a good breakfast option for children. As much as we hate fast food, that was pretty much our only option while we were there. There is a Hardees right across the street and a Burger King down the street. My husband had to go out both days and get french toast sticks from BK. Usually we try to bring a packet of oatmeal or our own cereal, etc. for our kids, but there didn't appear to be bowls and utensils at the little pantry/marketplace that we could have borrowed. They did serve Starbucks coffee, which was pretty good. Complimentary house coffee would have been even better!

Overall, a nice property and a nice stay for us and our two, small children. I would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott for your lodging needs. We appreciate your feedback as that serves as our measuring stick on how well we are meeting our guests needs. Please except my sincere apology for the inconvenience you experience during your stay with us. Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your recent visit with us. We look for forward to your next visit when you are in our area.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The property is nice and cozy. The housekeeping staff were very nice and they worked hard to keep the property clean. The day manager, Mr. Perry was friendly and very approachable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Tracey S, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Yorktown, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Yorktown, Virginia for your lodging needs. I have shared your review with Chris and our entire staff. We take great satisfaction in knowing that your needs were met and that this was a great experience for you.
We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We visited the area for two days in late March, and enjoyed the amenities of the newly renovated Marriott Courtyard, including the 'standard' spacious rooms, clean and modern accommodations. Even the pillows were perfect...;) The staff was very friendly, and quick to handle any requests. The housekeeping staff and front desk went beyond the call of duty after one member of our party left a cellphone in the room. A quick call from the road, to the hotel front desk, and the phone was ready/waiting for us, when we returned to pick it up...;)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay here at the Courtyard by Marriott Yorktown,Virginia. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your review with the entire staff. Our staff tries to bring personal attention into every guest interaction, and we are very pleased that you had a great experience. We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to Yorktown, Virginia.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I spend a lot of time in Marriott hotels through out the country. This was by far the best experience I have ever had in any hotel. I tend to stay from Hilton hotels because I think they're overated. At this particular hotel I was greeted promptly when I entered the lobby. Every person on the staff that I came in contact with were very courteous and never failed to greet me. On every other Thursday night they offer free dinner to all of the hotel guests.
The rate for this hotel was very low ($77) but it was well worth three times that amount.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Tracey S, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Yorktown, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay here at the Courtyard by Marriott Yorktown. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for taking the time to come down an join us during our Manager's Reception. We take great satisfaction in knowing that your needs were met and that this was a great experience for you. I have shared your review with the entire staff. We really look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in our area.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I stay at this particular hotel at least once every 8 weeks for mini staycations. The staff is always amazing, however, our last stay proved to us as to how amazing they are!

Had a little trouble in which guests a few doors down decided to host a party all night long and the noise level was so disturbing that we had to call the office at 3am to report it because we simply could not get any solid sleep. After the call the noise level was lowered until 9am. It began again and I was just tired of it, so we started packing our things to leave. Before I left however, I decided to call and communicate my dissatisfaction to the Manager, Chris, and when hearing about our plight he was very apologetic.

He explained that the previous shift neglected to notify him about the call we made to the front desk at 3 in the morning, so he wasnt aware of the incident. He asked if he could accomodate us for another night. I accepted his apology and said sure to the offer. He said he would provide a gift certificate upon check out.

We checked out and found not only did he give us a certificate for accomodations for another night BUT for an entire weeked plus dinner valued at $25 to be used on our next stay.
NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE.

My husband and I love this hotel and definitely will continue have our staycations there!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracey S, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Yorktown, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Yorktown for your lodging needs and for the feedback on your recent stay with us. I have shared your review with the entire staff.
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Chris was also, very happy to learned that you had a great stay and that he play a part in that. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Since my 1st written praise for the staff at the beautiful Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Yorktown, VA, my husband & I have been guests on several more occasions. Most recently we spent an extended weekend leaving the hotel this morning. It was like leaving extended family. Again, everyone from the front desk, the Bistro and those behind the scenes were wonderful. I had plenty of time to observe the staff with other guests. It was a very busy weekend for them. They ; Weda, Kristie, Kim, Linda, Greg, Kathy, Maria, Julie (I'm sorry if I forgot anyone) were professional, warm, kind and accommodating.
I'd like to particularly mention Maria at the Bistro. This woman gets in at an very early hour of the a.m. to have the Bistro ready for opening. She is extremely dedicated & hard working. She puts her heart and soul into the Bistro and it's patrons. I observed her one a.m. upon opening alone. She was met with a barrage of people with orders. Marie remained professional and kind, doing what she could as fast as possible. I do not know how she did it while remaining calm.
I could go on & on about theses lovely people. A special thank you to Kristie who came in with a cupcake for our granddaughter's birthday today.
I hope you get the opportunity to visit my "extended family" at this wonderful hotel.
MaryT

Room Tip: All the rooms in which we have stayed have been perfect.