“New hotel, but terrible check in”

Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My wife and I travel to the Newport News area about once a year. We have stayed at this Courtyard in the past and have away been warmly welcomed by their wonderful staff. We were expecting the same welcoming during this visit and were excited to see the new look of the hotel. When we arrived we were checked in by Christi. We were both taken back by how rude and abruptly she spoke to us. She acted as if she was doing us a favor by allowing us to stay there. We were so accustom to the welcoming smiles of the employees of years past, that we were shocked by her behavior. Needless to say it definitely dampered our experience this time.
On a better note, the room was lovely. Extremely clean. Breakfast was definitely not what we were use to. We missed the wonderful buffet. We chose to eat out side of the hotel. However my wife did enjoy having a Starbucks latte available first thing in the morning.
We will definitely think twice before booking this hotel again. I would prefer the older looks of the hotel with the more friendly staff, than this "updated" look and staff.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelJohn10

Reviewed June 13, 2012

This is Courtyard is everything you expect from Marriott. Friendly, attentive staff. Well maintained rooms and lobby. Location is centrally located to Yorktown, Jamestown and Williamsburg. Close to several restaurants and shopping center.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rich D
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The customer service was wonderful from the front desk. The room was marvelous and very clean. The room was very convient on the first floor. I would definitely advertise and visit again.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Bueatiful, clean and spacious new room had no reservation but wasn't a problem friendly and accomodating staff they serve drinks in the lobby and food a little pricey though restaurants within walking distance will return when we are in the area again

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DerekandLori
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I've been Platinum on Marriott for YEARS! I stayed at 165 Marriott properties last year alone! Yes, I have my favorites! I love Zurich dowtown and Marriott Heidelberg, Iliani in Hawaii, Marriott at Lake Union in Seattle and many others and I stay at alot of propertis here in Europe! This property has - By Far the BEST Customer Service EVER! I was told they pride themselves on Customer Service - and they do! They were the only Marriott property that would provide to/from trans to the Airport on Memorial Day Weekend. I was greetd by a great lady and the happiness never stopped! Everyone from the maid to the Manager is very nice and helpful! The property just went thru a 2 Million dollar renovation and is in a Great location. Located in the suburbs of Yorktown on a Golf Course! Plenty of food choices across the street and great jogging and walking trails!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank GCheek
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I called after midnight hoping to be able to get a room, after an exhausting drive from the north. Got an excellent rate for a 2 night stay. The location could not have been better, whatever I needed was nearby. The staff was wonderfully accommodating and very friendly. The hotel is undergoing renovations but did not interfere in any way with my rest.
Highly recommend this place and would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Harleyuki
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We had a great stay. Everyone working at the hotel made sure that all our needs were taken care of. The atmosphere was friendly and welcoming. Even though the hotel was undergoing reconstruction, our stay was very pleasant. The pool was not available, but the staff said that they would furnish us transportation to another location if we wanted to swim. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown
Candlewood Suites Newport News
Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
#3 of 40 in Newport News
Comfort Suites Newport News Airport

Been to Courtyard Newport News Yorktown? Share your experiences!