“Turn off the light!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Willcox
Temecula, California
“Turn off the light!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I were driving from Temecula, CA to Las Cruces, NM the other day and got a late start so we decided to stop to get a couple hours of sleep. We made the reservation on line as we were driving so it was site unseen. I've stayed at Motel 6's before and it generally a get what you pay for type of place and this one was definitely no different. We pulled up about midnight on Friday and the place was dead. I'm not surprised by that at all but it also just didn't look very inviting either. We went inside to check in and the guy who helped us was at least kinda friendly and gave us our room keys and sent us on our way. We were placed in the back of the motel on the 2nd floor and it seemed like this was around where the other guests were also placed. We went in and noticed how bare and stark the room was. We also noticed that the bed spread was filthy so we took that off right away to reveal the jokes that they called pillows. The bed itself I thought was OK but I don't mind, actually I kind of prefer a hard bed but my wife hated it. The other thing that was noticed was that there was no blanket on the bed or or anywhere else in the room. We didn't mind though but came to regret that later. The air was on and it was very comfortable in the room when we got there but 3 hours later it was freezing. I got up to turn down the thermostat and it didn't do anything. I turned down the fan and that didn't do anything either. The choices were basicly on or off. I turned it off but the room got stuffy really quick so I turned it back on and it froze us again. It was very late (or early) and we were going to het a jump on the road early so we sufferd the next hour or so with just the top sheet. The bedspread was dirty so that wasn't even an option.
In the morning when we checked out I told the front desk person that it was freezing in the room and he said that he was going to put the blankets back in the room starting today. I have stayed and tons of hotels all across the country at different times of the year and never was given a room without a blanket.
The other notable downside to this hotel was the shower. It was straight out of a trailer. Weird setup that didn't really work for me and to top it off there wasn't even a little bottle or packet of shampoo! I would say stay here at your own risk if you are just looking for a quick couple of hours sleep and nothing more. I wouldn't consider or reccomend it for anything other then that. The rate was great at under $40 but like I said before, you get what you pay for. My names Mike and I'll turn off the light now.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before commiting.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank moopup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

the teen desk clerk was sullen and needs to be trained in basic social skills!! the ice machine was still broken but the office sometimes had small amounts of ice to give out. the towels, curtains and carpet were very tattered and raggedy. but the lighting in the room was good, everything worked fine, it was warm, no bugs, basically clean. so for the price it was an ok place to stay. the interstate, gas stations, safeway, dollar stores, restaurants, etc. are all within 2 blocks of the motel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank whomever
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Lovely lad was happy to show me our room before we confirmed whether to stay or not. The price was so low, I was worried - needlessly.

Room and bathroom looked clean - room a lot smaller than most. Struggled to find a place to put two suitcases.

Was on the verge of giving this 4 stars, and then I found hairs on my pillow cases. The sheets were fine. So, only average from me - 3 stars for the low price.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Organs
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

This hotel owner is too cheap to spend money to maintain it well. The swimming pool was closed due to not being cleaned. The ice machine was broken. The water came out from the weird shower head was too small to shower and strong enough to hurt you. I had to unscrew the shower head to take a shower.

However, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Due to there was no refrigerator in our room, they offered me to put my food in their refrigerator. I also got a bucket of ice from the front desk when I asked for it. In the end, I still recommend this hotel due to its friendly staff and its unbeatable rate in the area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smile100h
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Stayed at this Motel 6 for 1 night on our way back home from California. THis hotel had no frills. 1 problem we did have was that the shower water-head was wierd....the water came out so fast strong it hurt you!! And there was no hot water? I am giving this place a thumbs up (recommend staying) because it was an ok budget friendly place to sleep for 1 night.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Gloria2010
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

When we first arrived the lady at the front desk was very nice, no complaints there. We were excited that this particular motel6 had a pool. Once we got into the room, however, things changed. Before we even tried sleeping we had to kill at least 20 bugs that were in the room. Moths, flies, mosquitoes, beetles, and other little black bugs. After this killing spree we were skeptical about the quality of the pool. We went to look at it and came across more beetles, flies, and other sorts of bugs. They were either dead in the pool or swimming on top or walking across the buoys. We returned to our hotel room to kill more bugs and only walked around in our shoes, no bare feet. The carpet is stained beyond belief. Essentially the room made us feel gross. We've definitely seen better motel6s for the same price.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Willcox hotels

Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

I arrived in Willcox in the late afternoon without a reservation, and checked out the Motel 6 first. The friendly desk clerk gave me a small discount without being asked even without which the room would have been a good deal. Everything was clean and there was free coffee at the front desk. The room was on the side closer to the interstate than most rooms, but I didn't find the traffic noise to be a problem. There is a good Mexican restaurant closeby and a decent diner for breakfast. I think that this motel is a good choice for an inexpensive stay in Willcox.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo