“American As Apple Pie”
Review of Country Pride

Country Pride
Ranked #10 of 30 Restaurants in Willcox
Cuisines: American
Description: Restaurant associated with TA Travel Center.
Description: Restaurant associated with TA Travel Center.
Reviewed August 27, 2014

A waitress with green fingernails kept stopping by our table asking us if we needed anything, especially if we needed anymore iced tea. When we said "no" about 10 times she beamed and exclaimed, “Awesome!”. The homey, 50's aura reminded me of a diner. I haven't enjoyed a ham steak in a restaurant for a long time. I shunned the messy looking buffet in favor of table service. Enjoyed the 100-year-old quote from the American country philosopher, Elbert Hubbard, on the wall near the buffet. It reminded me that he went down on the Lusitania in 1915, the subject of one of my novels. It was part of the Americana atmosphere. (P.S. It's now called Country Pride, not Country Fare.)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I decided to stop here instead of driving an additional hour into Tucson for a late lunch. Big mistake. We looked at the buffet, but everything looked tired, overcooked, and greasy. My wife decided on a hamburger and I ordered chicken tenders. After a very long wait (over 30 minutes) our food arrived The burger was dry and overcooked. The chicken tenders were also overcooked, dry, and tasteless. The fries were soggy, limp, and tasteless. Our server Max was very nice, but badly overworked.

Skip this place and go on into Tucson.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had been riding in the sun all day and agreed that we would just walk across the street from the hotel for dinner. I'm not one to want to eat in truck stops so imagine my surprise when we had the pleasure of Rebekah for a server. She was running around the restaurant it seemed like taking care of everyone and with an amazing smile on her face and genuine concern that your food was good and you had everything you needed. She was a great ending to a long hot day.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I'm vegan so finding a place to eat in Willcox could have been difficult. I asked the desk at the motel and they pointed us to TA's truck stop, home of Country Fare. They did have a good salad bar--everything was fresh and crisp. My husband had fried fish and rice pilaf and he enjoyed his meal also. It's not the Ritz, but it's clean, the waitress was fast and pleasant, and they have a surprisingly varied menu. I'd eat there again.

1  Thank BlackBeltOjibwa
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I had a pancake breakfast. Hard to imagine how pancakes could be so bad. My husband had a chicken fried steak breakfast. We both ate the eggs and left everything else. The table next to us walked away from a spagetti dinner. Server was very nice and attentive, food was horrid!

Been to Country Pride? Share your experiences!