“An interesting landmark, but not worth going out your way to see.”

Chimney Rock National Historic Site
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Nebraska is a boring state, and this was the only thing if any interest that we saw. We stopped on the way from Denver to Mt Rushmore, and it was a nice break along the way. However, I wouldn't go out of my way just to see this rock.

1  Thank USAsvenskan

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Been here a million times (it seems) and will be back for sure. We arrived just before the center closed and got in for free. Their little museum packs a lot of punch for its size and has plenty of artifacts and historical information. If you have kids, or are a kid at heart, you can draw Chimney Rock and deposit it in the box. Who knows, they may post it on their wall.

There are signs for you to watch for snakes and they mean it. A few years ago, there was a baby rattle snake on the main walk while we were there. When you leave, hang a right out of the parking lot and then another right to the end of the gravel road. There, you'll get a much closer view of Chimney Rock.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

On my Road Trip this was a stop I had some doubts about but I am so glad I stopped and visited this historical landmark.
As we were approaching this the weather started to turn bad and dark thunderous clouds began to make their presence felt.
Lucky for me I had my camera ready and was able to capture some shots.
We stopped at Settler's trading post for getting something to eat and that too turned out to be a good experience. Great food and Great hosts.
By the time we were ready to leave they were announcing Hail and Thunderstorm...

Reviewed June 3, 2013

It is a bit of a drive off the interstate to see this. The visitor center has some very good exhibits. You can see chimney rock outside the visitor center but you can't walk up to it or around it. It was interesting but I would not go too far out of my way.

2  Thank carlinda6665
Reviewed May 22, 2013

It was on our route so of course we had to stop in. Chimney Rock is one of the most famous and recognizable landmarks for pioneer travelers on the Oregon, California, and Mormon Trail. This 300ft rock is worth stopping to see if you love history. The museum is worth the $3 to get in, it does a great job with explaining the history behind this national landmark and the memories of the westward migration.

Website: