“Just what we needed - Thanks Sulphur Springs Inn”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sulphur
Sulphur Springs Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Sulphur B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 28, 2011

My wife and I desperately needed a night together away from Dallas, we came across Sulphur Springs Inn, and decided to give it a chance. The price was right and it was just outside the National Recreation Area in Sulphur.

There are 2 options when you stay at Sulphur Springs Inn, you can stay in the main house (an old bathhouse) or there are cottages just outside the main building. We decided to stay in the main house because we liked the history. There are musical instruments to play and all kinds of neat antiques (an old record player, an old radio, etc).

Charlie, the Inn Keeper was awesome, he gave us a very good introduction to the area when we arrived and gave us plenty of ideas for activities. As mentioned, we were really excited to just relax, so after a short bike ride through the park (they let you use the bikes complementary), we just chilled out next to the fire pit with our books.

There isn't a whole lot of dining options in Sulphur, we did find an Italian Restaurant that was good and very well priced, can't remember the name of though, ask Charlie.

The rooms in the main house are very interesting, they have a sink and toilet in each room, the showers however are shared. This really wasn't so bad and I would not discourage anyone to stay here just because the showers are shared. They were very clean and it was a slow weekend, so we had no issues.

Breakfast was wonderful. Charlie made us scrambled eggs and potatoes, pancakes and sausage. Great coffee and OJ too.

Our stay was short, only one night, but we had a blast and it was just what we needed.

Thanks a lot Sulphur Springs Inn, we will be back!

Dan & Ali

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DallasWorldTraveler1

Reviewed August 9, 2010

Sulphur was part of a spur-of-the-moment, largely unplanned road trip through Oklahoma and Texas, following Bob Dylan on tour. I wouldn't have passed through Sulphur, but for the decent reviews on tripadvisor and the fact that it marked a convenient stopping point between two Dylan concerts. In my case, Sulphur Springs Inn met or exceed my expectations -- I was utterly charmed by my stay.

There is wireless, but you have to ask Charlie for the password. This would be a good time to mention: Charlie, the host, is wonderful. I didn't have a plan or any ideas for activities, but Charlie helped me put together a route to my next Bob Dylan concert, and things to do and places to eat along the way. (Ask for directions to the fried pies.)

My room was large and clean. I stayed in the main house, not a cottage, so the room had a sink and toilet but I used the shared showers. Everything was clean. The showers were old, and a little dim, but also clean... I didn't feel the need to wear flip-flops to shower. Also, when I visited, there was a hair dryer in the shower room, which in my experience, isn't a consistent amenity provided at bread and breakfasts.

Another nice thing about Sulphur Springs Inn was, the house is filled with musical instruments. Charlie has everything but a drum kit, including an accordion and an upright bass. Nobody felt moved to song the night I visited (although I arrived late), but it's nice to know we could have. As I mentioned, I arrived late -- after dark -- so I can't really speak to the rest of the property, but I was very comfortable with the main house and common areas, and the litter of kittens living under the front stoop. (Drive slowly in the driveway.)

Lastly, I felt safe as a single woman traveling by myself. The road to Sulphur Springs Inn is pretty dark, and the street unlit. (Also, google street view doesn't give you a clear view of the house, so it's hard to know what you're looking for if you're arriving after dark.) However, the neighborhood is very residential right up until the edge of the park, my room had a lock (although no deadbolt), and absolutely nothing about my visit made me feel uncomfortable or worried about my safety.

If I ever passed through Sulpur again (I won't, unless Bob Dylan does), this is where I would stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank SingleOccupancyRoom
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We arrived at the Sulphur Springs Inn with high anticipation for the things that were offered in the online information. However, when we arrived the place was not well groomed and so the first impression was not the best. But always willing to give a second chance we went inside where we were met by a the very pleasant congenial Charlie. He told us about the area and we visited the Chickasaw Indian museum, which had just opened the week before. Our room was pleasant, bed was comfortable but the promise of WIFI did not exist, so using our computer was not possible. We had bought our bathing suits but the indoor baths were not working. And the music on the patio on Saturday night was literally impossible because the patio was in a shambles. However, we did bike ride, which we haven't done in twenty years! And it was pleasant being away from phone and TV, and enjoyed a game of 'sheep'dominos!! The breakfast was superb, Charlie can beat any chef for breakfast!! Thank you for a pleasant but a bit disappointing visit.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lois1951
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Imagine getting a group of girlfriends together for an overnight. Travel south from the OKC metro area to Sulphur and find the Sulphur Springs Inn waiting for you. Charlie, the innkeeper, welcomes you with a fire on the patio and he doesn't care if you need to keep rearranging the fuel. The place is warm, inviting and filled with history. The park is right outside the front door with paths to walk and hills to climb. It is perfect for a night or a weekend!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank okscoutr
Reviewed April 25, 2009

The Sulphur Springs Inn is just a quick hour down the interstate from OKC and Norman but it feels like you are much further from the city life. If you are looking for fancy and posh--this is not the place for you. If you are looking for comfort, relaxation, a tasty breakfast and a national park out your front door you will enjoy your stay. There is plenty of hiking, history and a nature center nearby in the park. After your hike you can relax in the only spa left in this historic town. Most importantly however is your host Charlie Wright--he makes you feel at home immediately. We travel to Sulphur with a group of friends and have always enjoyed our visit.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 18, 2009

We counted 21 cats (several of them pregnant) all over the grounds of this unmaintained, smelly, over-priced tri-plex (that was advertised as a cottage). I feel that it should have been noted that this was a cat refuge for those of us allergic to cats or anyone sensitive to the smell of cats inside and out. If these people are such cat lovers they should be responsible enough to have them spayed and neutered and not subject their tenants to the diseases that these cats could be carrying. The surrounding area was what I would consider a ghetto and I did not feel safe with my grandchildren wanting to go out and play. I would never recommend this inn to anyone and I definitely would not spend the $125 a night for such a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank mcmfamily
Reviewed December 2, 2008

If you're a "first glance" means everything to you type person then you will miss the secret that is the Suplhur Springs Inn. My wife and I had been here before and Cheri and Charlie made us feel like family or life long friends. Our initial stay was so relaxing and special that we have returned 3 times. This past month we returned and brought our 2 young daughters (4 yrs & 2 yrs) for the first time. Charlie and Cheri made sure we were set up in lodging that was very comfortable for our family. If we wanted to take the girls into the 'baths' they would lower the temperature of the water and even allowed us to keep it just to ourselves. Charlie took us on a walk thru the national park, twice. Cheri took us to the nature center on the park where the girls met park rangers, were introduced to live owls, and were glued to the many aquariums - what a set up! Cheri & Charlie even set up a rubber ducky race for the girls in one of the creeks and even set up a fire one night for the girls to roast mashmellows! We can't thank Cheri and Charlie for not only going out of their way for us but also easily recognizing when we wanted our own 'family' time. I can't recommend the Sulphur Springs Inn enough!!
Joe
Manassas, Virginia

Been to Sulphur Springs Inn? Share your experiences!