“What a great place to stay!”

Echo Canyon Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Sulphur B&B and Inns
Chickasha, Oklahoma
“What a great place to stay!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This resort is a fantastic place to enjoy some intense relaxation. We stayed in Chilton's Hideaway which was a very well appointed room with a wonderful view. The couples massage was outstanding and the plush robes were well received. The dinner at the resort was top knotch with the woodfired duck breast being worth the drive. Would stay there again very soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
OKC
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Echo Canyon Spa Resort is one of the best stays in Oklahoma for ultimate relaxation. Everything was just about perfect for our get-away weekend from the wonderfully huge room in the west carriage house and spa treatments to the 5 star dining. They do everything to make your stay extra special. The only disappointment was no pool as shown on their website or I would have given it an "Excellent" rating.

Room Tip: Depending on the time of year the Carriage House is more secluded but a bit further from the main ho...
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We are very limited on the time we can take off so we have to pack a lot into a few days. When we researched Echo Canyon Spa Resort, we saw the great reviews so our expectations were high. By the time we left, our expectations were greatly exceeded. Really! Where do I begin? Carol Van Horn, a co-owner was like a family member to us by the time we left. She served us dinner the first night then showed us how to get to best hiking trails, followed by serving us breakfast the next morning. She never stopped helping us. I think she would’ve tucked us in if we’d asked. Joe Van Horn, the other co-owner introduced himself to me while he was tending bar. When he said, “How do you want your drink – tall, short, weak or strong?” I knew I was at the right place. In fact, the last night he and I stayed up until 1 a.m. talking and solving the world’s problems while he poured me “a few” adult beverages. When I woke up the next morning, the world’s problems were still there but so was another illegally good breakfast, this one with homemade blueberry and granola pancakes topped with a homemade fruit compote plus a separate full plate of spicy tofu eggs, home fries, scrambled eggs and turkey bacon. I passed on the biscuits and gravy because with the three meals I had eaten at this place so far, I was reaching the maximum load capacity for my stomach. As for the room it was furnished with antiques, a big screen TV, a hot tub spa, and lots more. The bed was super comfy with six pillows, each one ranging from firm to soft. The multiple sheet/cover/comforters ensured a deep protective cocoon followed by long, deep dreams. I usually get up at 6 a.m. and when my wife was at my side gently shaking me saying it was 8:40, I knew she was kidding. But she wasn’t. Actually I think she thought I had died and was about to call the Coroner but she won’t admit it. That’s relaxation! But for me the best part of the entire experience was the two dinners. It was a price fixed menu. The first dinner started out with fresh bread and homemade pesto. I looked at the very nice wine list and tried a petite Shiraz by the glass that was unbelievably fantastic. This was followed by a crisp salad loaded with fresh fruit from their garden topped with a superb homemade dressing. No sooner was that down the hatch when a turkey-platter-for-a-plate showed up with a piece of fresh halibut, a succulent chunk of duck and a Texas-sized filet plus firm green beans and half baked potato. It was so tasty I had to eat it all...like it was my last meal or something. I started to push away from the table when they bought me a piece of smooth, light and fluffy New York style cheesecake which was drizzled with what else, a homemade hand-picked strawberry sauce. My wife got the chocolate truffle tort and between the two of us, our forks sparked it up fighting for the last scraps of each dessert. By state law I to down a second glass of red wine. When I left the dining room, I asked myself, “Was this truly the best meal I had ever had?” Then I realized I had eaten so much and was so stuffed I asked an employee if he would just shoot me. He said he would but only after the next night’s dinner which was a chateaubriand. This wasn’t so much a piece of steak as it was a work of art. It was like eating Michelangelo's David or Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa. Living in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, we have had some fantastic meals and steaks. Truthfully, this was one of the best if not likely the best two meals I have ever had. Each steak just melted in my mouth. Carol’s sister Susan is a highly trained/skilled gourmet chef who hit it out of the park for each of our 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners. When I came home and saw my doctor and told him where I had been and what I had eaten, he told me I had to immediately go on a diet. Then he called up Echo Canyon and made reservations for he and his wife. We’ll see who needs to go on a diet now. The bottomline is this: for comfort, relaxation, ambiance, service and of course the food, you can’t beat it. And we had a couples massage with Jason and Ashley for 90 minutes which was well worth it. I had Ashley. I think she actually found the knots in my soul and expertly kneaded them out. That’s deep! I hate to even write this review because people will start going here and then I won’t be able to get a room. But, I did promise Joe during one of my adult beverages so I have to honor that. I can assure you we will be back. Unless that employee follows my instructions to just shoot me.

1 Thank Michael G
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I brought my mom to Echo Canyon for her birthday. It's a short distance from where we live and time was limited. What a very pleasant surprise this property was. We had rooms overlooking the canyon. Both rooms were clean and the decor was so pretty with a mixture of antiques and modern. Each room had large balconies where we could sit and enjoy wine and the local wildlife. The owners, Joe and Carol were accommodating and seemed truly interested in making us feel at home. And then there was dinner! The night we were there, the main course consisted of Alaskan caught halibut, filet mignon and duck - yup, all three. Each were flavorful and tender. If you can't stay there, at least go to dinner. I would highly recommend this Oklahoma gem to friends and family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa1232013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Last minute bed & breakfast getaway close to home. Breakfast was delicious and filling with a variety of fresh fruit compote from their orchard. Friendly service and staff. Our room had a beautiful view and was clean but in need of updated carpet, linens and overall appearance. Spa services were average. Technicians not as experienced as I would have expected and treatment rooms were cold. Overall a nice peaceful getaway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
echo5804215076, Owner at Echo Canyon Spa Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank You for your criticism, all of our suites are recently upgraded or newly built except for the original bed and breakfast called the Manor, it is very nice but has not had a full restoration yet. We keep all of our buildings cold in August, including the Spa. We have lots of fluffy robes and blankets for people who get cold.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hot water didn't work when we stayed here and our key wouldn't work so we were unable to lock the door when we left. We had called for assistance and got told we would be asked to leave if we had one more incident.. As if on our vacation we wanted an incident and not to enjoy our stay. We went to talk to the owner about his comment and found him drinking in the bar where he had called to threaten us about being asked to leave in front of other guests. I have been in customer service majority of my life and was shocked of his behavior. He later called and told us the sheriff of the town had said we needed to leave the county. We did not appreciate the threats from this man. The most absurd and awful experience ever. This was our "babymoon" but we had to leave where they then told us to go to the Artisan which was a very accommodating place(and in the same county might I add). Luckily that was open and available because at 1130 at night and being 29 days until having a baby I had just about all I could take from this experience. I left in tears that someone could treat a couple trying to enjoy a special time in their lives so terribly. The owner said he would credit us back our room deposit of $200 and later refused to do so because we ate dinner and had drinks. My one glass of wine was still sitting in the room when we left, with my dessert next to the tub where I was going to enjoy it if we could get hot water, and our dinner leftovers were left in the fridge. I hope nobody else risks taking off work for a special time in their lives and has to endure what we did.

• Stayed July 2013
12 Thank Bethdunshie
echo5804215076, Owner at Echo Canyon Spa Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
We have had only 4 bad guests in 11 years, these people were the worst. The hot water worked perfect, they were turning on the cold water on the tub, remember this lady is 29 days from a first baby and she is drinking. She kept saying her husband drank too much, but he does maintainence and knows the main breaker to the whole system is blown, so we had the electrician come right out and he said the breaker the man had supposedly fixed is nothing but a shutoff for the 220 for hot water heaters and you have to pull this out, it does not break, the breakers are in another part of the building.(NOBODY HAS EVER GONE INTO OUR MAINTAINENCE ROOM TO TRY AND FIX A PROBLEM) We also took the lock to a locksmith and they had broken a piece of plastic fork and stuck it in the lock. After the great dinner, her drinking Rombauer Cabernet, they came into the office and said they are not paying for anything. That is when I nicely asked them to load up and leave the property, which they said no and I called the deputy sheriff I know and he told me to tell them one more time to leave or he would be right over. I had to get firm with these people about exiting our property because we were afraid what else they might do.This couple is one of 5 we will never allow to stay again
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Last minute anniversary weekend getaway, recommend by a friend, that he and his wife had wanted to stay at, but hadn't had the chance to yet. We were blown away with the hospitality by the entire staff. Joe and Carol have gone above and beyond to ensure you feel at home in a relaxing and inviting atmosphere. Definitely indulge in the spa services, relax at the bar, and relish in the amazing breakfast and dinner served.
We had to stay in the Manor one night, due to our trip being last minute, but I would highly recommend staying in one of the Mansion rooms! While the Manor is lovely, it houses the restaurant and is where all guests enter to check in, therefore it can be a little busy, and you can hear everyone and everything. The Mansion rooms are spectacular with breath taking views.
Sulphur is a small town, without many options for dining or shopping, but the Artesian Hotel & Casino had just opened their restaurant when we were there. It shows promise for many unique shops, which I hope are prospering next year, when we plan to go back to Echo Canyon.
Thank you Joe, Carol, Kathy, Tamara, Jason, Michael, and everyone else that made our weekend unforgettable!
The Martins

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sulphur
Hampton Inn & Suites Pauls Valley
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Pauls Valley
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ardmore Central
Hampton Inn & Suites Admore
SpringHill Suites Ardmore
Holiday Inn Ardmore I-35
Holiday Inn Ardmore I-35
#7 of 23 in Ardmore

Been to Echo Canyon Spa Resort? Share your experiences!