“Beautiful and educational”

Chickasaw Cultural Center
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I am a Chickasaw Indian by birth but live out of state. I have kept up with the progress and took the opportunity to visit and educate my children about their heritage. I was struck by the beauty of the buildings, landscapes, architecture, placement, fountains and space. The staff is incredibly knowledgeable and cares that you are interested. The exhibits are tasteful and well done. We did not budget enough time to spend but enjoyed what we could. The daily calendar information given at the welcome post on the drive in was perfect and had a map on the back in color which made navigating easy. The cafe was interesting with the grape dumplings and fry bread, my kids loved!!!! We came on a day that had an informational film (which we missed) on basket weaving which was followed up by actually making a small basket (which we did, see photo). The instructor, Sue Fish, has work in the gift shop and art gallery. She was just lovely and very good at what she does. The staff in the main gift shop was making a beaded hatband that was so beautiful and was happy to share her knowledge about her specialty and provided tips for my daughter to get started. The items in the shop were quality and pieces of art, not roadside trinkets. The buildings were gorgeous. Beautiful stone with copper accents inside and out with treated wood walkway coverings that were stunning themselves. The gardens were interesting and well maintained. The 3 sisters garden was in full bloom, corn, beans (which use the corn as trellises), and squash which offers ground cover for weed prevention. We were also told that they compliment each other in the soil. The staff is very proud of their heritage and treat you the visitor with respect. I do not look indian an therefore none of them knew they were speaking to one of their own. Plan on spending 3-5 hours here. Look up the schedule on the internet to plan your visit. www.chickasawcultural center.com. Admission to the grounds is free. Some of the exhibits and films do have admission for adults. If you are a Chickasaw tribe member bring your card and this could make it free. Most of all learn and enjoy!

3  Thank jollyhollyCypressTX

Reviewed June 30, 2014

A very nicely done center. From how the grounds are laid out, to the extensive multi media exhibits, no complaints at all. You will be drawn into the Chickasaw history trip.

1  Thank rockhill2124
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We learned so much and thought the property and the staff was wonderful. I recommend this for anyone visiting the area. The exhibit was put together wonderfully. I enjoyed the live village they have to walk through. The weather that day was perfect for this. Loved it!

1  Thank Jennifer N
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We drove the 1.5 hour trip from Norman, Oklahoma to visit this center. Being from South Carolina, we did not know what to expect. We were blown away by how well done and tasteful this exhibit is. Well laid out, we left with a whole new appreciation for the Chickasaws, and for their culture. We also left with a much deeper appreciation for the hardships endured by all of the tribes that were forcibly relocated, and for their spirit and courage to overcome and persevere to adapt to their new land and conditions. I now have great admiration for the Chickasaws, and will study their culture in greater detail in the future. All of the employees that we had contact with were knowledgable and friendly, and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and that we were enjoying our visit. We had a couple with us that was very limited in mobility, and the staff transported us from place to place, including from the parking lot, in a golf cart. They even took us on a "drive-thru" tour of the village. Highly recommended, well worth the trip and time. The entry fee is very reasonable, and I would love to return again with more time to spend.

5  Thank Bruce P
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I loved being able to show my children the ways of the Chickasaws from ages ago as well as visit those who still keep some traditions alive. The cultural center is extremely beautiful and educational. Even if you are not "into" Indian culture, I recommend this place for the experience!!

1  Thank Franklin M