“Weekend Getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sulphur
Secret Garden Cottages
Reviewed January 19, 2009

My family and I spent a few quiet relaxing days at the Secret Garden Cottages in Sulphur, OK. The property was nicely kept and the management was very attentive to our needs. We enjoyed the quaint cottage setting, and were impressed by the secluded and private grounds. The layout of the cottages to a common area patio is bed & breakfast charming.

My family and I stayed in the double cottage. As I stated the property features a central patio surrounded by the cottages with gardens intertwined throughout the property. The double cottage includes a front bedroom with a bed and small kitchenette while the the back bedroom contained two large beds, a television and a VCR, all of which were adorably decorated.

The Secret Garden Cottages are so convenient to the Chickasaw National Recreation area, that you can take a relaxing stroll and be there in minutes. We really liked the locale in relation to the recreation area. This is one of the key features of Secret Garden Cottages. Location, Location, Location.

Upon checking into the Secret Garden Cottages the owner warmly welcomed us to Sulphur, OK, and was very helpful in planning our activities throughout the Chickasaw National Recreation area. She was very informative of the areas attractions and genuinely concerned with our enjoyment of the facilities during our weekend getaway. I would definitely recommend the Secret Garden Cottages to anyone who is looking for some well needed relaxation and a quiet retreat.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank OutnOKC

Reviewed June 3, 2008

This review is actually about our second stay at the Secret Garden Cottages. I have stayed there once before in June 2005, and the pictures are from that stay. However, the property looked almost exactly the same during our May 2008 stay except for a few added fountains in the garden and better patio furniture on the deck. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any pictures of the inside of the cottage.

Secret Garden Cottages is a cute, cozy alternative to a regular hotel. It's very convenient if you're going to the Chickasaw National Recreation Area, as it's only about a block away from the cottages.

I would like to give this place a great review, but I had a few problems. My family and I stayed in the Main House. The property features a sun deck with a hot tub surrounded by a beautiful garden and 5 charming cottages. However, the hot tub was out of order during our stay but fortunately the owner notified us about that beforehand. So that was more of a minor inconvenience than a major issue.

The Main House has a full kitchen so we brought our own food to cook. When we tried to cook our dinner, we discovered that the stove didn't work. We called the owner and she sent someone to come and look at it, but he was unable to fix the problem immediately. So we had to improvise for dinner.

Another problem was the deck. Some boards in the deck are very flimsy and my fiance actually broke one of them while walking across it. He was lucky he did not break his ankle. The pictures on the Secret Garden Cottages website are old. They show a beautiful, white, freshly painted deck. Now the paint is peeling and some boards have been replaced and not even painted. One of the boards on one of the steps was still broken.

The property is not in a spectacular neighborhood, but it is totally surrounded by a 6-foot privacy fence and has a locking gate so you can open the gate and drive your vehicle inside if you choose. The Main House is beautifully decorated and it offers a certain at-home comfort that you simply cannot get from a hotel. The owner left 2 movies for us to watch during our stay, which I thought was a nice touch.

Due to our problems, the owner took care of us and refunded a good portion of our money. My only hope is the owner of Secret Garden Cottages is able to better maintain the property in the future.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ladylindsay
secretgarden120, new owner at Secret Garden Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2008

On 10-24-08, my husband and I became the proud owners of Secret Garden Cottages. We have made and continue to make upgrades to the cottages and grounds. The cottages are clean, comfortable, and are in a quiet and peaceful area. We live 1 and 1/2 miles from the property and are available to assist with any needs you may have during your stay. We will not be offering hot tub facilities, however, we do have a fire pit, charcoal grills, and a chiminea at each cottage. We also provide a free continental breakfast. We have free wireless internet, and cable in the main house. Our mission is to provide a clean, healthy, fun, safe, and relaxing lodging experience at an affordable rate. Check us out on our web site. We would love to have you as our guest.

Been to Secret Garden Cottages? Share your experiences!