“History within reach”

Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park
More attraction details
Owner description: America's first and largest military park is located just over the border from Tennessee.
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I reached the visitors center/museum near closing time and did not have much time, however. I saw the movie which was well done on the history of the area civil war conflicts. I went through the collection of guns. I never new there were so many different types of rifles during that conflict. I don't know if I agree that this National park should remain so. I think it could easily be a local museum supported by donations and not by our federal dollars in tight times. Unless you have specific ancestors in this conflict, once you've see a battle field they are all the same. With technology you could be given a self guided tour specific to your needs and see what you need to see. The park is nice for the locals with is nice trimmed grass and shrubbery again I think that should be a locally supported effort though.

There are newer reviews for Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park

Reviewed December 18, 2013

If you are a Civil War enthusiast or just interested in American History then this is a must see place. I knew of the battle but had no idea of the extent of it and the importance. A lot of the big players were here like Longstreet, Grant, Sherman and such. Much like Gettysburg there are monuments everywhere and much like Gettysburg the battle was devastating with over 60,000 casualties. The visitors center is a great place to start with a good movie about the battle, maps and rangers that are very friendly and helpful. They can give you a map for a great self guided tour with a telephone number to call that explains the different stopping points. If you are in the area and have several hours or more I highly recommend visiting here.

1  Thank jads4u
Reviewed December 1, 2013

The visitors' center exhibits and the area housing the Fuller gun collection are well-done and well-planned. We watched the film which helped us understand the who, what and why of Chickamauga and we also took the driving tour which was very informative. At the end of the day, the facts of what happened there are daunting and important and everyone should make the trip.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Just happened to be passing the battlefield on Nov 11th. Drove in and found it had just opened at 8:30. An extremely helpful ranger invited us to check out the visitors' center which was very organized with great exhibits. He told us to be sure to see the film at 9:00. We did- it was about 1/2 hour and very well done-also very moving. We picked up the do-it-yourself driving tour of the battlefield. Very peaceful and beautiful area- hard to imagine how it was 150 years ago with so much loss of life. Very sobering. The monuments are to both sides as this was the first national military park established in 1890.

Definitely a worthwhile visit and there is no admission fee .Should be experienced.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We enjoyed the museum and riding around the park. Rich history in beautiful settings. Take a blanket and picnic lunch with you and spend time just enjoying the quiet. There were lots of beautiful deer too so be careful driving.