$201
  • Breakfast included
$205
$194
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura(Ventura)(Great Value!)
$179
Comfort Inn Ventura Beach(Ventura)(Great Value!)
$180
$90
$209
$178
Priceline
Ventura Beach Marriott(Ventura)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbunk bedsroom was cleanpedestrian bridgequiet at nightpool and hot tubclose to downtownwithin walking distanceroad tripbeach accessmain streetpierdeborahpetfreewaylodgingmicrowavehousekeeper
Reviewed July 5, 2007

We stayed in Room 136 for one night on July 4th. We chose this hotel due to its proximity to Downtown Ventura, where they had a nice street fair for the 4th, and because it's dog friendly, unlike the Best Western next door. The hotel is across the street from a small park with a huge Australian fig tree planted in 1874, and it's an easy walk to Downtown Ventura with some great restaurants, stores, the Ventura Theatre, the San Buenaventura Mission, etc. It's also a quick walk to the beach and pier but there are no ocean views from the hotel rooms. The train track runs right behind the hotel, as does the 101 freeway. I don't recall hearing much noise during the night but a train did wake me up sometime after 6am.
The rooms have a mini-fridge and microwave, which was nice. The beds were comfy and the towels were new but otherwise the room badly needed renovating. The carpet was horrible: filthy, stained, with white mildew growing on it near the sink area. I did not want my dog lying on this carpet! The doors for the outside and the bathroom were swollen so they were hard to open and close, causing noise from room to room. There was black mildew on the bathroom ceiling. I liked the extra-deep sink in the bathroom, and the toilet, tub/shower were fine. The hotel appears to be in the midst of some renovating as they were replacing carpeting in some of the rooms. That's a good thing but when I was checking in, a woman was in the lobby complaining that the new carpet in her room was giving off a bad chemical odor. Apparently it had just been installed that day so hopefully the odor will dissipate.
The remote control for our TV didn't work and the night manager brought us a new one after we called around midnight. Nice gesture but the new remote didn't work either. Staff were friendly overall. We did notice a couple of the rooms had small BBQs set up outside their doors and there was some partying at the pool during the afternoon but we chalked it up to the 4th of July holiday. I mention this because I think another reviewer speculated that there were some long-term tenants who may be a bit rowdy.
Overall, if you don't mind the train noise and you don't expect more than old motel quality accommodations, it's a good location if you want to be near downtown. This is assuming they replace all the carpet, otherwise I DON'T recommend staying here! If you want nicer options a few miles away, I suggest trying the hotels off Seaward Avenue and Harbor Blvd near the State Beach and the Marina to the south.
Despite the badly needed upgrades, I think the Vagabond was a good bargain at about $71 for this area on a major holiday, and they forgot to charge us the $10 pet deposit even though I reminded them when checking in that we had a dog. Another bonus is that unlike some hotels, no one cared about the size of our 80 pound dog. The woman checking in before us had a very large Doberman with her as well.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank BeniLana
Reviewed June 27, 2007

We were staying at the Best Western Ventura on E. Thompson Blvd. for the night and the desk clerk told us that we could get a good meal next door at the Vagabond. We had had a large lunch in Monterey so we just needed a sandwich for dinner. We walked in and I immediately thought we were back in the fifties in a diner. A nice lady named Sharon came over to welcome us and take our drink orders. My husband had the hamburger and I the potato cheddar soup and the grilled cheese with bacon on whole wheat. Everything was delicious. Sharon told us that everything was made right there from scratch. WOW. We noticed that there were balloons, hats, etc. in celebration of something so we asked. They were celebrating their 40th year in business. If you happen to be in Ventura stop by the Vagabond Inn Restaurant and be sure to ask for Sharon, however the other servers are probably just as nice.

Reviewed May 21, 2007

We were on our way up the PCH and stopped in Ventura for the night. We had a trip planned ot the Channel Islands the next morning so was convenient. We stopped in and they had availiability. Bed was very comfortable and room was clean. We had a view of the ocean if we stood on the tub in the bathroom. :-) The best part of the stay was the trains that runs right out back. It was very "my Cousin Vinny." For a night, it was fine. I wouldn't want to stay there for much longer.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed October 2, 2005

We stayed here for 1 night traveling down the Highway 1, and found a good place for a very fair price ($50). The bed was big and the room well equipped (coffee maker, fridge, microwave, large TV), the bathroom was a little worn but clean. We really enjoyed a dip in the pool, and found it to be a little larger than other Motel pools we stayed at (and it was heated, which was really nice in the evening). Location wise it is great, as you only cross a footbridge and you are at the beach, and its only 5 minutes walk to Main street full of restaurants, bars and cafes. I would recommend this place to people who like to travel in a budget and just want somewhere to crash and chill after an active day.

• Stayed: September 2005
9  Thank Surf-Chick
A TripAdvisor Member
Agua Dulce, CA
Reviewed April 25, 2005

This was a terrrible "motel". They have weekly rates and a lot of undesireables are constantly milling around the grounds, drinking beer, running after half naked and dirty children. The noise is derived out of every red neck's dream. Not mine, however. On top of that I was ogled like a t-bone and then when I went into the room-I screamed-a cockroach the size of a 50 cent piece ran out of the bathroom and across the floor. THe room was stinky, old and dirty. I complained, but was told that after 10 minutes they do not give refunds-YIKES! Even though I was only there 5 minutes, I left and chose to sleep in my car. I was afraid of what other"bugs" might be there. Do not stay at this hotel without a tetnus shot, bug repellant and a 'script for penicillan.

• Stayed: February 2005