Vagabond Inn Ventura
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
Rodeway Inn(Ventura)
View Hotel
All reviewsbunk bedsroom was cleanpedestrian bridgequiet at nightpool and hot tubclose to downtownwithin walking distanceroad tripbeach accessmain streetpierdeborahpetlodgingmicrowavehousekeeperchannels
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 14, 2008

My husband and I were lucky enough to have scored a room on a Saturday night for a quick getaway from LA to the beach. After being stuck in traffic for over two hours, we arrived at the Vagabond, cracked up at the 60's cheesyness, but agreed it looked fresh and clean. We checked into our room, immediately suited up and crossed the footbridge for the beach, which was very convenient.

What we didn't expect when we arrived back was... Our trip for a quick swim in the pool - there was a whole family group there cracking open beers and smoking cigarettes. Wasn't pretty, nor do I think smoking and beer drinking should be allowed poolside, in the presence of other families and kids. We left for our room when...

Our door would not open. We tried the card up, down, all around - nothing. My husband went down to the front desk to get another and that one didn't work either. This time we both went and insisted the attendant come back with us. Now mind you, we're wearing WET bathing suits and are not happy at this point. The front office girl was very sweet(thank you "A"), but explained she was alone and couldn't leave her station.

WHAT? A very young lady ALONE running this hotel? Not nice. We sternly insisted she take a crack at our door. She comes to our room and tries all her card keys and none are working. She did not know what to do and we were ready to break the damn window. So let's recap, she's alone AND untrained. She makes a frantic call to someone (who mercifully was available) who directed her to an actual key and secret keyhole and walked her through the directions on the phone.

She ultimately got the door open, but ruined an hour + of our day, which we had wanted to spend more time downtown sans wet bathing suits, which would not have gone over well at the wine tasting bar.

Moving on, our next fun fact undisclosed by Vagabond is they're located smack-dab on railroad tracks that have trains barreling by all day. Loud? You figure it out... Someone mentioned the Lucy episode, in which I concur.

Ok, one last gripe - the tv picture was grainy at best.

I guess we're spoiled as we usually stay at the Bella Maggiore, and we will say our room was clean and we had a great getaway, but unless they make some changes (and warn guests about the railway) we won't return.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 5, 2008

The Front Desk Clerk was so rude , unprofessional and confrontational that it seemed like I was on "Candid Camera".

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed May 5, 2008

We waited too long to book a place and ended up here as a last resort when everything else, all the way up to Goleta, was booked. The check-in clerk was helpful and friendly. The room (2-queens) was spacious and looked relatively clean till we took the covers off the beds and noticed pubic hair on the blankets. The carpet, though it looked clean, felt damp. What should have tipped us off, though, were what appeared to be goth-looking working girls out front. It turned out the girls were there for a party at the room next to ours. There were at least 20 - 30 kids at this party, ALL NIGHT! The profanity, screaming, talk of jumping off the balcony in front of our room had me reaching for the phone to call 911 several times but I didn't want to alarm my kids who mostly managed to sleep through it all. Several guests (including us) asked them to quiet down and move their party back into their room but to no avail. At 2:30 am they decided to go swimming. At least we got a few minutes of respite while the ruckus moved downstairs. The front office was worhtless in controlling this. Don't motels have quiet hours and occupancy restrictions???

There's more! Though this property is conveniently located to the ocean, it also happens to be RIGHT next to the rail road tracks. The Amtracks weren't bad but the freight trains were really special. There's an "I Love Lucy" episode where they are staying at an inn next to train tracks. When the train thunders by, the entire room shakes and sways, the beds scoot around the room like bumper cars. This was similar (though the shaking beds stayed put on the carpet). I'd compare it to a 5.5 earthquake lasting several minutes. We actually thought this was pretty funny and fortunately the trains didn't run at night.

Anyway, if we have trouble finding loding next time, we're camping rather than staying here!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank WhenDo
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2008

I appreciate your comments.  I was told about the party you were talking about.  I believe it was groupies from a band that played at the Ventura Theater.  You were not the only ones unhappy about it.  I printed out your comments and have talked to the staff about them.  The night clerk should have made the party people leave, or called the police if they wouldn't leave.  I'm sorry that we dropped the ball.  It is our policy to remove the bed pad, the sheets and the blanket when a guest checks out, and replace with fresh linen.  I showed your comments to the housekeeping supervisor and asked her to follow up on this.  I sincerely apologize for your horrible night.  I would like to make it up to you if you choose to give us another try.

Reviewed December 15, 2007

Nothing special, but affordable and the location is great. Just a few blocks from Downtown and the Pier. The only problem that was to be had, was that we belong to their promotional program of stay 10 nights and get the 11th night free. We had misplaced the paper that had to be signed by the desk clerk and asked if we could bring it in later. We were told that we would only recieve credit if we did it upon check in. There were only a couple of rooms left and there was starting to be a line and knew that we had to check in now if we were going to save our room. We had to start a new account instead. The thing was, that they pulled up our account on the computer and could see that we had nights credited but would not accept the computer's information alone. A disappointment to be sure, but we didn't let it affect our trip. But buyer beware....make sure you have the needed paperwork with you upon check-in if you belong to this promo program!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 25, 2007

It was absolutely terrible! I still getting disguised just thinking about this place! There were rouches running and it was dirty. I just got back from my vacation and this place still stays in my eyes as a nightmare!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple