All reviewsbunk bedsroom was cleanpedestrian bridgequiet at nightpool and hot tubclose to downtownwithin walking distanceroad tripmain streetpierdeborahpetfreewaylodgingmicrowavehousekeeperchannels
Reviewed May 5, 2008

We waited too long to book a place and ended up here as a last resort when everything else, all the way up to Goleta, was booked. The check-in clerk was helpful and friendly. The room (2-queens) was spacious and looked relatively clean till we took the covers off the beds and noticed pubic hair on the blankets. The carpet, though it looked clean, felt damp. What should have tipped us off, though, were what appeared to be goth-looking working girls out front. It turned out the girls were there for a party at the room next to ours. There were at least 20 - 30 kids at this party, ALL NIGHT! The profanity, screaming, talk of jumping off the balcony in front of our room had me reaching for the phone to call 911 several times but I didn't want to alarm my kids who mostly managed to sleep through it all. Several guests (including us) asked them to quiet down and move their party back into their room but to no avail. At 2:30 am they decided to go swimming. At least we got a few minutes of respite while the ruckus moved downstairs. The front office was worhtless in controlling this. Don't motels have quiet hours and occupancy restrictions???

There's more! Though this property is conveniently located to the ocean, it also happens to be RIGHT next to the rail road tracks. The Amtracks weren't bad but the freight trains were really special. There's an "I Love Lucy" episode where they are staying at an inn next to train tracks. When the train thunders by, the entire room shakes and sways, the beds scoot around the room like bumper cars. This was similar (though the shaking beds stayed put on the carpet). I'd compare it to a 5.5 earthquake lasting several minutes. We actually thought this was pretty funny and fortunately the trains didn't run at night.

Anyway, if we have trouble finding loding next time, we're camping rather than staying here!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank WhenDo
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2008

I appreciate your comments.  I was told about the party you were talking about.  I believe it was groupies from a band that played at the Ventura Theater.  You were not the only ones unhappy about it.  I printed out your comments and have talked to the staff about them.  The night clerk should have made the party people leave, or called the police if they wouldn't leave.  I'm sorry that we dropped the ball.  It is our policy to remove the bed pad, the sheets and the blanket when a guest checks out, and replace with fresh linen.  I showed your comments to the housekeeping supervisor and asked her to follow up on this.  I sincerely apologize for your horrible night.  I would like to make it up to you if you choose to give us another try.

Reviewed December 15, 2007

Nothing special, but affordable and the location is great. Just a few blocks from Downtown and the Pier. The only problem that was to be had, was that we belong to their promotional program of stay 10 nights and get the 11th night free. We had misplaced the paper that had to be signed by the desk clerk and asked if we could bring it in later. We were told that we would only recieve credit if we did it upon check in. There were only a couple of rooms left and there was starting to be a line and knew that we had to check in now if we were going to save our room. We had to start a new account instead. The thing was, that they pulled up our account on the computer and could see that we had nights credited but would not accept the computer's information alone. A disappointment to be sure, but we didn't let it affect our trip. But buyer beware....make sure you have the needed paperwork with you upon check-in if you belong to this promo program!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 25, 2007

It was absolutely terrible! I still getting disguised just thinking about this place! There were rouches running and it was dirty. I just got back from my vacation and this place still stays in my eyes as a nightmare!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2007

We stayed in Room 136 for one night on July 4th. We chose this hotel due to its proximity to Downtown Ventura, where they had a nice street fair for the 4th, and because it's dog friendly, unlike the Best Western next door. The hotel is across the street from a small park with a huge Australian fig tree planted in 1874, and it's an easy walk to Downtown Ventura with some great restaurants, stores, the Ventura Theatre, the San Buenaventura Mission, etc. It's also a quick walk to the beach and pier but there are no ocean views from the hotel rooms. The train track runs right behind the hotel, as does the 101 freeway. I don't recall hearing much noise during the night but a train did wake me up sometime after 6am.
The rooms have a mini-fridge and microwave, which was nice. The beds were comfy and the towels were new but otherwise the room badly needed renovating. The carpet was horrible: filthy, stained, with white mildew growing on it near the sink area. I did not want my dog lying on this carpet! The doors for the outside and the bathroom were swollen so they were hard to open and close, causing noise from room to room. There was black mildew on the bathroom ceiling. I liked the extra-deep sink in the bathroom, and the toilet, tub/shower were fine. The hotel appears to be in the midst of some renovating as they were replacing carpeting in some of the rooms. That's a good thing but when I was checking in, a woman was in the lobby complaining that the new carpet in her room was giving off a bad chemical odor. Apparently it had just been installed that day so hopefully the odor will dissipate.
The remote control for our TV didn't work and the night manager brought us a new one after we called around midnight. Nice gesture but the new remote didn't work either. Staff were friendly overall. We did notice a couple of the rooms had small BBQs set up outside their doors and there was some partying at the pool during the afternoon but we chalked it up to the 4th of July holiday. I mention this because I think another reviewer speculated that there were some long-term tenants who may be a bit rowdy.
Overall, if you don't mind the train noise and you don't expect more than old motel quality accommodations, it's a good location if you want to be near downtown. This is assuming they replace all the carpet, otherwise I DON'T recommend staying here! If you want nicer options a few miles away, I suggest trying the hotels off Seaward Avenue and Harbor Blvd near the State Beach and the Marina to the south.
Despite the badly needed upgrades, I think the Vagabond was a good bargain at about $71 for this area on a major holiday, and they forgot to charge us the $10 pet deposit even though I reminded them when checking in that we had a dog. Another bonus is that unlike some hotels, no one cared about the size of our 80 pound dog. The woman checking in before us had a very large Doberman with her as well.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BeniLana
Reviewed June 27, 2007

We were staying at the Best Western Ventura on E. Thompson Blvd. for the night and the desk clerk told us that we could get a good meal next door at the Vagabond. We had had a large lunch in Monterey so we just needed a sandwich for dinner. We walked in and I immediately thought we were back in the fifties in a diner. A nice lady named Sharon came over to welcome us and take our drink orders. My husband had the hamburger and I the potato cheddar soup and the grilled cheese with bacon on whole wheat. Everything was delicious. Sharon told us that everything was made right there from scratch. WOW. We noticed that there were balloons, hats, etc. in celebration of something so we asked. They were celebrating their 40th year in business. If you happen to be in Ventura stop by the Vagabond Inn Restaurant and be sure to ask for Sharon, however the other servers are probably just as nice.