All reviewsbunk bedsroom was cleanpedestrian bridgequiet at nightpool and hot tubclose to downtownwithin walking distanceroad tripmain streetpierdeborahpetfreewaylodgingmicrowavehousekeeperchannels
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was a last minute stop on a holiday weekend and I think we got one of the very last rooms. The entire property was clean, the staff were very friendly and I would definitely stay there again! And it was one of the cheaper options for the area! Very close to the beach too!

Room Tip: I heard that the rooms that back up to the train tracks can get a little loud. We we off to the side and the trains didn't bother me at all.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you come again.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Ok here you go! A little older, but not too old, with GREAT maintenance - I mean great. Tiles, rugs, door, paint very very good. newer microwave and fridge. TV could have been newer (no a flat) but was fine. excellent shower head and towels. close to everything. Just clean, nicw , polite staff, and I would come back! and the goodies on the breakfast bar were all baked in old edna bakery very cool.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thanks Charlie! Or should I say neighbor! I don't know you, but we both appreciate Edna's Bakery in SLO Town. We are getting flat screen TV's. We already have some, and will be getting more this month. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I came to town at the very last moment for a bicycle race. I looked at quit a few places to stay (as I wanted the least expensive just to rest for the evening). I stopped and met Gary Baker at the front desk of this hotel, he was so polite and inviting I didn't need to keep looking just to save a few extra dollars. I asked if his on site restaurant was good (I was really hungry and didn't want to do any more driving) and he said "of course they're very good", that was an understatement...it was EXCELLENT food and great service just as he said. The room was very clean, orderly, neat and plenty comfortable as well, even very close to the beach in which he pointed out to me and I walked to after dinner before bed. I have never taken the time to do a survey, but in this case really wanted to give my input for the great service this establishment showed to me, as the few places I have ever used have never been so polite with such a great feeling of hospitality as well. If you happen to be reading this survey looking for a nice, quite comfortable place to stay in Ventura with wonderful hospitality, a great on site restaurant, you have found it. I do this bike race ever year and will gladly stay with them for this and other events through the year. Thank you very much for the wonderful experience and hospitality you showed me Gary Baker, I was very pleased with my stay and great value as well. I hope to see you next time I visit Ventura, Scott.

Room Tip: It seemed all the rooms were nice, it looked like the south facing rooms have a view of the ocean
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Scott L

Thanks Scott! It makes me very happy when someone mentions one of our staff by name. He deserves recognition for a job well done. I will print your review and give him a copy. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night while a concert was on. The manager at the vagabond couldn't have been more helpful; even though we booked late, we were still given a discount.

The location of the vagabond is fantastic: it is a 5 minute stroll to the pier and to downtown. While it is a little dated, the rooms were spotlessly clean and the service was excellent. For $150, it's a bargain.

Highly recommended.

Some other reviewers spoke of noise and unsavoury characters. Even though there was a heavy metal concert in town and the hotel was at full capacity, we didn't hear a peep all night, not did we feel threatened in any way.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for the review! We really appreciate it. I hope you can come again.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The location of the Vagabond Inn is its best feature. It's just outside the heart of downtown, and just across the 101 from the Beach. You can really walk to anywhere you'd want to be in Ventura from here. If you are carrying a lot, though, for a full day at the beach, you'd probably be better off driving over to the parking garage.

The Vagabond Inn was clean and everything worked well. The bed was comfy. The parking lot was crowded and it was hard to get a spot. The hotel was so full it took us about a half an hour to check in. It seemed like the hotel was full and there were people everywhere ready to party. It was a little chaotic. There was a continental breakfast offered, but it wasn't so nice - coffee and prepackaged pastries.

The price was moderate for the area ($139). We would stay here again, but I think we'd try the Best Western right next door next time, it is usually in the same price range, but it was booked for the night we stayed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lara W
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

We are glad that you gave us a try. The Best Western is a great place to stay, but does not allow pets. For some people, that is a good thing! We have been very busy here lately, kind of a present surprise to see how many people are coming to Ventura. Hopefully we will see you again soon, either here or next door.