“Great Value, Excellent Service, Friendly Staff”

Vagabond Inn Ventura
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We spent six days, five nights in Ventura and chose the Vagabond Inn because of its proximity to the beach and its pet-friendly policy.We were pleasantly surprised at the room, which was cute and clean and a great value for the price (remember to get your AAA discount if you are a member). There was also a full-sized pool, a jacuzzi and a little "pet park/potty place" in the middle of the property (doggie dropping bags also provided).. The restaurant on the property had a great steak and egg breakfast special--it was delicious! The housekeeping staff made us feel like a king and queen; the room was tidied up, the toiletries and towels restocked, and coffee/tea, etc. daily, and they always gave a friendly greeting (thank you MerryAnn, Eva and Carmen R).

There is a foot bridge at the back of the property that crosses over the freeway and drops you out right in front of the Ventura pier. The beach was clean and uncrowded; and, it had a full side that was open to dogs (but, must be on leash as it is a state beach). There are also two restaurants on the pier that offer reasonably priced seafood and tacos. .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank twetmore
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of our property here in Ventura. I't always nigh to hear from our guests and get their impressions of the hotel and the area. I will pass your comments on to MerryAnn, Eva and Carmen!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have stayed here four times, it is not fancy, but it is clean, easy to find, it allows well behaved pets which I have a great dog who is very obedient, close to the pier, and instead of staying with family and being in a tiny bed, we get privacy and good king bed!.

Room Tip: There is a train track nearby so FYI.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thanks Auntie Gail! We are glad you stay with us when visiting your family here.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Fast initial sign-up (check in) with reservation (used booking.com) on holiday weekend(Memorial Day) Clean room for price with everything working , good wifi reception with fast check-out. A good value for the money.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank pwalesky
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you! You are close if you live in Los Angeles, so we hope you come back soon!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We are 1950's retro nuts and this place fit the bill to a "T." An older facility that rivals any place at twice the price, the freshly maintained decor is straight out of the past, yet comfortable and efficient. The room, pool and grounds are spotless clean and the staff, especially Juanita at the front desk, are all cheerful, friendly and efficient. The bed was plush and comfortable and the room was quiet despite being next to the office and stairs, with a train running behind the hotel. Within walking distance of a beautiful park, and plenty of unique restaurants, antique stores, and specialty shops the location couldn't have been more convenient. But for good old fashioned, inexpensive, home cooking just try the Vagabond restaurant next door ... inexpensive, yet serving an abundance of delicious food.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank William C

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review! I will show it to Janita right now. She will be as pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us as I am. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Remember now we're talking about the Vagabond,not the Ritz Carlton,so here's the deal pedestrian access to the beach and pier,short walk through the park to all the restaurants,pubs,micro brews,not to mention a vast fusion of almost any type of live music you could ask for,Yeah you got your knuckle head Ventura freaks crusin around,but for the price you can't come close,also the staff,Aimee is simply delicious,and Jenny is devine,Juanita the manager does a great job considering the logistic's.Ventura has a throw back hippi/music/artsy theme....gotta have an open mind........all in all good job folks.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank anthony m
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you so much for the nice review. We do have local homeless people that like to hang around the beach areas, but I've seen that in just about every beach community that has decent weather. For the most part, they are just annoying. This town is awesome, and everything is close by. We are glad you choose to stay with us. I think Aimee will blush at the 'delicious' comment, but I'm going to make sure she sees it and gets a big "Thank You" from me, Jenny as well! As far a Juanita goes, she IS awesome, and everyone here knows it! Thanks.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I travel on business once in awhile and dont like to waste money on over priced rooms ,but the first few places I stopped were a disgrace . A police person told me about the this place and I found it to be just fine. The room was clean and everything worked ,yes the mattress wasnt the best I ever slept on and the tv wasnt huge but for less than seventy bucks a night it was great .
I didnt use the pool but it looked clean and the Ice machine worked well . The cafe on the property was nice and sold beer and wine I had the fried chicken and it was good . I would stay here again and believe this motel is perfect for over night stops or people on a budget that want to stretch their vacation buck .

Room Tip: do try the fish and chip shop next door its pretty cool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kelly C
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Kelly C,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are happy that we could meet your expectations, even on the recommendation of the person you spoke to. We take pride in the cleanliness and the value of our product. We hope you will come back in the near future and enjoy all of our facilities. Please do not hesitate to give us a call to book your next stay.
Safe Travels!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I regret I could spend only one night at the Vagabond Inn Ventura since it's one of those places where you feel like home and you'd like stopping the time just to be there any longer. From the very beginning when I checked in I experienced a very positive feeling, certainly influenced by the kindness and professionalism of the gentleman present at that moment, confirmed during my whole stay. For a very good rate I was offered a large clean room, equipped with fridge, microwave, coffee maker, iron and iron board. The location was perfect for my needs: within walking distance from the beach, the Main street and all downtown attractions. Reaching the motel is elementary since Thompson Blvd is actually the name of US 101 in town and the exit 70 A of the Highway 1 is just one block away. In spite of this proximity the Vagabond Inn is a very quiet place. A large pool is available to guests who can even enjoy a basic breakfast in the morning , maybe the only flaw I can name, not an issue at all anyway. Coffee is available in the lobby around the clock. The whole staff deserves a mention for its efficiency and kindness. Can I recommend this motel? Definitely YES, without any doubt. From now on it'll be my place whenever in the City of San Buenaventura.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank d8889

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Gary is the gentleman that you are referring to at check in. I will make sure that he sees your nice comments about him. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here in Ventura and hope to see you again.