All reviews bunk beds room was clean pedestrian bridge quiet at night pool and hot tub close to downtown within walking distance road trip main street pier deborah pet freeway lodging microwave housekeeper channels
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My dog and I stayed here while our house was being fumigated. Was very pleasantly surprised. Much quieter than I expected, given that it's on a busy street with railroad tracks just feet from the back of the property. Nothing fancy, but had all the essentials and was very comfortable and very clean. Continental breakfast is pretty minimal, but there is a restaurant adjoining and lots of eating places nearby. Try the Sandbox Coffeehouse a couple of blocks away!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank VenturaResident
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thanks for the nice review. I actually had to google the cafe you mentioned. I plan to stop by and check it out.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Great customer service, my husband and I checked in last night and the night person was so sweet. We were kind of sketchy about the place but it actually turned out not to be so bad. The only problem was that there were loud men with their door open keeping us up on spring break but most likely they lived there and at least someone was having fun. The bed was amazing to sleep on. After talking to Juanita, the day worker about the noise she was very helpful and handled the situation. Also, its rare to find a hotel that still has smoking rooms, so to find one was a score of 15 out of 10! I highly recommend this place. Plus it was my first time in southern California so that was even better.

P.S the continental breakfast was ok, but if you really want to be full just go to denny's for their $2, $4, $6, or $8 meal.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daneicia W

Thank you for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I'll pass this along to Juanita.

Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I am a single female traveler and I think this place is great...a nice safe, clean, not huge, well built place, walking distance to the beach (easy access included) & the pier, downtown with a cafe onsite. There were a lot of people in the cafe when I checked out., but I had other plans so I didn't try it. But, I did head to the beach the night before.. nice little walk. And I had a view of the ocean from my bathroom window when I opened it . I love these little non-chain motels with their windows that open & space and sometimes even quirky furniture. Because they were built back when real quality mattered, i didn't hear the usual parking lot & people noises. The train does go behind here fairly close, but I didn't hear it in during sleep & I'm not even sure I heard it when I was awake.
I m so happy to have found a reasonably priced, great place close to the things I enjoy about Ventura. And in Ventura. I will be stopping here whenever I head up this way.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ijustknow29

Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

So I stayed here for three nights while exploring nearby Channel Islands National Park. By all means, go see this place (accessible by ferry from Ventura Harbor) before you die!
The motel was fine regarding bedding, fridge, micro, hair dryer, iron etc. And it was quiet. There's a lovely diner onsite with great waitresses and good breakfast food.
That being said, like many warm-climate towns, there's a homeless problem in Ventura. While sitting near the pool one night with a local person visiting a friend, she told me not to go into the hot tub, because even though you need a key to access it, "some of the homeless use it as their bathtub." I am not a snob, but that sort of turned me off. Also, several homeless people were panhandling outside the property. It's not a big issue for me--I liked my stay and the place was not expensive, but some TA readers might want to know this ahead of time.
Be sure to head into the old town section of the city for fun shops, bars, and restaurants, and on the beach, there' s great kite shop. Evidently, it's the kiting capital of the country.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a second floor room for more quiet. And parking can be an issue. For some reason the lot filled up every night.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we appreciate all of the feedback. I would like to reassure you that there are no homeless people using the spa. We have security cameras in the pool area, key access, as well as our 24 hour front desk that keeps an eye on the facilities. We pride ourselves in being an economical hotel for our guests and delivering a product that is clean, comfortable, and convenient to all of the activities in our geographic region. As in any city, we can not prevent panhandling outside of the property, but we have made an effort to prevent as much interaction with the homeless on our property with security cameras, key access, and our staff efforts. We hope you will come back soon and enjoy everything that Ventura has to offer.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

this was a great place to stay with well-appointed rooms (microwave, fridge) and very friendly staff. Location is easy walking distance from downtown and the beach. Some people may find the noise of Amtrack and the freeway disturbing but it didn't bother me and almost all the hotels in town have the same problem.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SlinkyStar
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. Our location is our biggest asset. We hope to see you again.