“Not brilliant”

Vagabond Inn Ventura
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel has everything I wanted, a clean and comfortable room for a good price (with wifi, breakfast and parking included). However, having stayed at this chain before and always been happy, I was disappointed with this hotel. Breakfast is served in the reception area - there is just apples, oatmeal, coffee / tea and pastries - on a table but nowhere to sit and eat them - you have to go back to your room. They serve oatmeal, teas and coffee's but have no milk. (I have noticed that milk is not regularly available with teas and coffee's here in the US- but have never had it not served with cereal). However, when enquiring about this, I had the unfortunate experience of being confronted by a female member of staff with no customer service skills who told me in no uncertain terms, that I had to have it with water or go and buy milk.

I feel this is a real shame as I don't expect much, I know they are budget hotels and I'm not expecting silver service or a full cooked breakfast but I think milk and a choice of fruits / yoghurts / cereals is a basic breakfast, and has been available in every other hotel I've been in. And they really need to sort out this member of staff as all the other members in this establishment were lovely and she let the hotel down with her abrupt, unfriendly nature.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We are looking at the Continental Breakfast issue. We used to serve bagels, cream cheese, toast, butter, cream and milk, but the City of Ventura now has a policy that we can not give out anything that is not individually packaged, and we can not give out anything that requires refrigeration. The reason for this is because we do not have a commercial kitchen on the hotel side of the driveway. Even though the restaurant has the kitchen, we are separated by a driveway, so the City will not allow us to give out anything more. One of our concerns is the cost of adding a commercial kitchen and expanding the lobby area to include an eating area. We are analyzing the pros and cons. We are able to compete at a better price because our breakfast cost is low. If you contact me with the date you stayed, I can address the front desk agent that was rude to you. Thanks again for staying with us, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We chose the Vagebond Inn for the price after extending our trip to Santa Barbara. We couldn't afford the $200+ a night there anymore. We spent 3 nights.

I was worried about the amount of dogs staying there, but never heard anything. The beds were new. Microwave and good size fridge was a bonus.

Hot tub was hot and a nice way to spool down.

• Stayed: August 2012
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you for staying with us. This is a great place to stay if Santa Barbara is on your itinerary. We are about a half hour away, but the drive there and back is beautiful, along the California Coastline. With the money you save, you can enjoy nice dinners and maybe even adventure an alternate route from Santa Barbara to Ventura going through Ojai. It is a beautiful drive, and Ojai is a beautiful town hidden away at the base of the Los Padres National Forest. Ojai to Ventura is only 12 miles. We hope to see you again next time you venture our way.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

If you are traveling from san francisco to LA, its a good chance to stay here. Good jacuzzi and the rooms are quiet and clean. Also the service are very kind. You must have breakfast in the main desk, this is not very cool. The could have at least tables and chairs where to have breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us. We are looking into enlarging the lobby to accommodate some tables and chairs and also a small business area with a computer and printer for our guests convenience. We do however, have a restaurant on site that offers many choices including Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert and Appetizers. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We arrived in Ventura without hotel reservations. After seeing how much cheaper the Vagabond was compared to another place we checked, we were a bit hesitant but decided to save the money. We were pleasantly surprised. Our room was clean and quite nice. We did hear the nearby train, but only a few times and never when we were trying to sleep. As others have written, the location was great--convenient to downtown and the beach. The continental breakfast was a step below other free breakfasts at similar hotels. You could tell this was an older place but it was well-maintained. The furniture was dated but in decent condition. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
mventura, General Manager at Vagabond Inn Ventura, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for the nice review, we really appreciate it.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed at the Vagabond for two nights and enjoyed the close proximity to the beach, the pool and jacuzzi and the overall feeling of a safe place to stay. The best part was the connnecting rooms on the ground floor for myself and nieces. I wouldn't have been able to get those rooms if it wasn't for the help of Dan, one of the employees at the Vagabond. He was very helpful and knew exactly what my situation was and how to help me. Thank you Dan!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the review! It's always great to hear good things about the staff. I will make sure that Dan sees this review. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Ended up here by default as all other Ventura hotels were booked.

Awesome location, a short walk to the beach/pier and downtown.

Rooms are average, definitely a little tired & the bedding is a bit thin (ac was overpowering even on low setting, but too hot without it).

Front desk staff were very friendly & helpful. Pool & hot tub were a nice feature.

The room doors were 'sticky' and very noisy, so neighbouring room doors closing woke our baby. Very little soundproofing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for posting a review of our property. We are in the process of upgrading the guest rooms. When they are finished, the upper shelf in the closet will contain an extra blanket and pillow. Right now, they are available at the front desk. We will look into the sticky door issue. I'm sure that can be fixed. I will have maintenance check all of the doors and get back to me with a list. We really appreciate the input and the opportunity it gives us to make the Vagabond Inn the best choice in town for overall value and service.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I booked a room for 2 nites with 2 queen beds. The room large, airy, and very clean. Very comfortable beds, good a/c. Could have used a few hangers and hooks, but not a big deal. The area was quiet enough for us. We were above the pool, in the back. The view out the front window was great, with the hills, palm trees, and a peek of the city in between. The view out the bathroom window was the ocean, but we generally kept that small window closed. The train came by a few times, and coming from Long Beach where there's a fair share of airplane noise above us, that wasn't much of a bother. The staff was very friendly. The restaurant was OK. Presentation was excellent but the substance was only fair. Once again, the staff here was super friendly and accommodating. Didn't have to eat there, though. There were tons of great restaurants around. In back there's a walkway over the 405 freeway that gets you straight to the Ventura pier and promenade. And out front you're very close to downtown. Wonderful location! I'd stay again, for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the review! I suspect you got one of the rooms that has an added closet. I will check today to make sure there are plenty of hangers. We hope to see you here again soon.