“Well It is a Motel 6” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
“Well It is a Motel 6”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

So I travel for a living and I stayed everything from the Fairmont to well uh THIS, so its not like I expect a Motel 6 to be a Hyatt or even a Best Western but I feel hotels / motels have some obligation of providing at least a safe environment. Had I not had a dog with me or I left for sure. ( I feel safer with a dog here.)

The Pros: Cheap, fairly quite with the exception of the fire alarm going off 2 times in the middle of the night due to unattended teens.

The Cons:
Very tiny and I mean tiny Jail Cell uh I mean Hotel room. Tho I have a feeling the cliental feels more at home in the jail cell type room if you get my drift.
Hookers and other unsavory business being conducted at all hours at this property. By Guest and unregistered guest. Good luck getting a decent towel or sheets or a pillow not yellow stained. A/c did not work and toilet ran all night and day but I got lucky my friend had to clean the toilet in her room. I smoke but I hate seeing burns on everything including the floor.
Decent police presents keeps some of the trouble down I assume.

They claim they are remolding. Well I got news for them it won't help unless they start refusing some guests from a stay. I never stay hear if I had kids!! I never stay if I was a woman alone!

Bottom line if your desperate on a road trip tired and its just for one night go for it. Otherwise I stay else where plenty of nice hotels up the street.

Room Tip: Theres not one here!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
STEVENSON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Economy lodging is difficult to come by in this part of the world so this motel is an option. It may not be as fancy as Sandyland reef right down the road but I feel more comfortable here. The service was excellent and yes it's time for some improvements which I believe is in the making. I don't really like motel 6 because of the nonconformity from motel to motel. I was told that the corporate Motel 6s get regular inspections which is badly needed in most places. However for a place to crash this motel will do.

Room Tip: I'd prefer a room facing the courtyard and swimming pool. otherwise in the rear
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Sun City, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a very nice Motel 6, three story with an elevator. Room are typical Motel 6, but property is well kept and nice looking.
I thought the 101 freeway noise would bother me, as I was on 3rd floor on freeway side. Once the door was closed on my room you could not hear traffic.
Nothing really special but for the price in a beach resort town this place was perfect. 5 minutes from the golf course I had come here to play.
Staff very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed on non-free way side. Will be perfect and very quite.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have been on a cross-country trip and was pleasantly surprised by other motel 6's I've stayed at. Not this one. The rooms smell like wet dog, the linens on the beds are stained and had cigarette burns in them. The carpets are old, dirty and stained. Not worth the savings.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank KellyR85

Travelers are raving about these Ventura hotels

Mission Hills,ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

2 weeks every year for over 10 years. Always a decent place. Now, A DUMP. A dirty smelly,worn out Motel 6. Carpets,sinks, tubs,Disgusting. Outside rear parking lot,trash,trash cans,broken glass,Filthy grounds.Never again....

Room Tip: Check the rooms first before unpacking. We did not and working 12-14 hrs a day,for 2 weeks, our opti...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Bradley L
Palo Alto, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have stayed there about 1/year for the past 10 years and for the price it was always a good deal. This year, they pushed their luck as the motel is so run down, as if they haven't invested a penny in upkeep for years. The 2nd bed was right up against the air conditioner which meant it had to be turned off or freeze. The sheets/towels were old - big hand towels or small bath towels, not sure. The room smelled dampish and stale. Water pressure in the sink non-existant. No trash, my friend had to go get a trash can. Poor storage space in the bathroom. The sheets were worn out and the bed - OMG --- lumpy and soft... not a good nites sleep. The light fixture by the bed was worn out and not easy to turn on to the lamp wanted since it worked for both

In its favor the shower curtain was excellent as it wrapped around and kept the water in the shower and not on the floor. And, I will say that the wake up calls were on time.

$100/night is not a lot for a room, but I have stayed in other places for this amount there there were tissues, decent towels/sheets and hair dryers. The location is great for my needs and I hope they invest some money in fixing the place up

Room Tip: Take your chances unles they invest some money to fix it up
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank gowanderaround
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

We stayed several days with our kids and mid sized pet dog. They gave us the perfect rooms lower level, in the back-good for taking the dog out for a quick run. There is also a field nearby great again for running the dog around a bit. The pool was out of service, which bummed the kids out, no breakfast either-this is bare bones. The rooms were large and both were relatively clean. They have no adjoining rooms. We all thought they may rent the rooms to the county for families transitioning from homeless to housing because one of the rooms had a lot of wear to the sink and dresser that looked like someone had stayed there a while. Why interesting on the weekend? Saturday day we checked in, went to visit relatives, we came back later that evening, it was like a prison in lockdown. The back exit near our room was closed down, roadblocked, then at the main entrance, there was a security guard who had to verify we had rooms there to let us through. This was not true sunday evening, so I guess they must step up the security on the weekends. It is not necessarily a bad part of ventura either, so I am not sure why this happened. But it is a good place for a budget trip to a great town, do be aware though it is quite a drive to the beach, there are fast food restaurants nearby, a CVS pharmacy and a few grocery stores a few blocks away. If you have kids, dog and would like a working pool and breakfast and are staying more than a day, it is a little more costly, but we would recommend the local La Quinta. It is very basic, but just what it should be a budget hotel. One more note, they allow medium sized and larger dogs-not just the small ones! :)

Room Tip: the back side of the hotel is away from the freeway, it is also great if you have a dog or kids, the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CalItal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventura
Comfort Inn
Vagabond Inn Ventura
Vagabond Inn Ventura
#9 of 22 in Ventura
3.5 of 5 stars 248 reviews

Been to Motel 6 Ventura South? Share your experiences!