“What??? I couldn't hear you over the freeway traffic and the train horn blasts!”

Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Reviewed February 25, 2007

The location would be great, were it not for being adjacent to the freeway and train tracks. They try to remedy this with a sleep therapy CD and earplugs, but it just doesn't cut it. If your looking for a quiet oceanfront hotel, this isn't the place.

The food in a word, -- miserable. We ordered room service - the chicken piccata was terribly salty and very dry and the baked potato was greasy, gummy and cold.

On the positive side, the service was OK, and the staff was friendly.

Overall, not a very positive experience, but the price was right. I won't stay here again, though. We'll splurge next time and be a little more particular.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank semicharmed23
Write a ReviewReviews (1,363)

Reviewed February 17, 2007

This hotel sits less than 100 feet from the train tracks and freeway. The insulated glass door effectively blocks the freeway noise, but the 100+ decibel blasts from the freight train horns will give you nightmares and evoke memories of Harrison Ford leaping out of the train in "The Fugitive".

I had to laugh at the previous reviewer's gushing gratitude for the "gift bag" and free CD. It should be mentioned that the gift bag contains only one pair of earplugs. After the first night you and your roomates will be fighting over that pair of earplugs like lions at the kill.

Other problems: The hotel is cheaply constructed with poor insulation between rooms. You will hear EVERY bathroom activity of your upstairs neighbor. Our guy must have drank a LOT last night. They provide one trash can for the room, in the bathroom. The one cup coffemaker shoots boiling water straight up. The hairdryer doesn't work and the outlet is installed incorrectly. The handles on the sink faucets fall off and need to be screwed back on to the fixtures. The beds are double, not queen size. Prepare to synchronize sleep positions with your bed mate.

Good points: The hotel sits on the coast, with easy walking to old town Ventura and the beach. Free wireless is provided, and the bed sheets & pillows are pretty nice. They tried hard to make this place look nice, with a modern redecoration effort.

Stayed: February 2007
8  Thank Anandala
Reviewed February 1, 2007

I loved staying here. The lobby was very beautiful and modern! The staff was effusive in their hospitality and efforts to accommodate our every need.

The room decor was anything but ordinary...furnishings were modern and very different from the average...even above-average hotel or resort...and we had just come from a $200 per night resort spa with 'ho hum' decor.

We had an issue with the tub not holding water and they sent two maintenance engineers up pronto who solved the problem with good cheer and profuse apologies, leaving me with a tub full of steaming water in their bathroom already overstuffed with clean white towels.

We just loved this place, and hooked our pc's into their internet, recharged our camera, uploaded photos of our day of golfing on the Central Coast, had a wonderful in-room picnic, snuggled under the super lux sheets and slept like hibernating bears.

We loved the sheets, super lux waffle-weave blankets and special-sized pillows. There was a special "Sleep Tight" gift on the night table which included a CD to help you relax after a hard day of travelling......the bedside alarm clock/stereo radio includes an easy-to-operate CD player......the satin giftbag contained a perfume sprayer with "LINEN" spray for your bedsheets! And it smelled wonderful. (This may seem like a dumb novelty, but some people are into little gifts and I liked it...and since no one ever gets me perfume...I LIKED it! LOL! ) The giftset also included earplugs and a 'nightmask' to block out any light (in case your travel mate is still up watching the myriad of channels they offered) and some other goodies.
I would have appreciated two bottles of water, as we had in our resort, but, hey, hotels don't remember how thirsty you are after travelling, hefting your luggage, talking...and how you just want to take a sip of clean water, toss off your shoes and take a short break before starting to fend for yourself so far from home. (PS This place was NOT expensive! ...It only felt expensive) And it is ON the beach.......check out the views!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the pier.......memories to die for.......go to a Ventura concert........hear someone you have been dreaming of getting tickets for!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank CentralCoastLocal
Reviewed January 6, 2007

I left my 2 coats in the closet in the room and when I called to have them hold them for me I had no help at all from anyone, they would not return my calls and when I did get ahold of the manager he said he would check into it but never bothered to call back, I'll NEVER stay there again, they will rip you off.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank navymanWashington
Reviewed January 5, 2007

I stayed at the Crowne for business on January 5, 2006 and it was very nice. The hotel is going to be especially nice when the renovations are complete. I asked for a floor where the renovations were finished...they put me on the top floor in the "room closest to the ocean"....Room 1101. The room was a little small, but very nice. The king bed was super comfortable. No construction noise, etc., and they even provided ear plugs and a "relaxation" CD. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank oysterhead
Reviewed January 1, 2007

We stayed here for the New Year weekend. This was our first trip to Ventura, and we LOVED IT! I was a bit leary after reading some of the reviews and was determined to write a good review if we had a great time. The staff was incredibly friendly and accomodating they offered to store our bikes for us every time we returned to the hotel. It was like having a bicycle valet :) The view was unbelievable, and the closeness to the downtown and restaurants was super convenient. If I had any comment of slight disappointment, it is that for a 5 star hotel, I thought the bathrooms were a bit small.. clean and nice, but not "glamorous" . Did this affect my stay or my overall opinion? NO WAY. The new restaurant opened while we were there, and while everything was new to the staff which slowed the service down, the food was great. (The waiter recommended the clam chowder and it was excellent) We can't wait to go back again, and again.

Stayed: December 2006
2  Thank moltadolcee
Reviewed December 28, 2006

My Husband and I stayed at this property last year and were dissapointed with the hotel due to renovations, everyone was super nice and accomodating that it made things good. We decided to try the hotel again because the customer service we recieved before was great, we stayed on the weekend of the 15th for a little get a way from the kids before the holidays approached and WOW what a difference!!!! the lobby is open and bright, you can see the ocean from inside the lobby bar (which we spent most of the evening) and it was top notch! Specialty drinks, fun bartenders and a great view! my husband and i were very happy. Our room was nice and clean with white comforters and a great little burgandy bag with goodies for our stay, we could see the channel islands from our room and what a great ocean view! We walked to downtown Ventura and had dinner at a great little restaurant (Palm 71) Then we walked over to see a movie, we didnt get in our car once and we had a fabulous weekend! we will be back every opportunity we get!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple