“Great Place/Super Staff And A Killer Bar Overlooking The Ocean And Pier”

Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
San Diego
“Great Place/Super Staff And A Killer Bar Overlooking The Ocean And Pier”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2006

We had read some bad reviews, but my friend who works for the City of Ventura, said that they Crowe Plaza was very friendly, let dogs stay and was a no smoking hotel...What we found was all of that, but a really great staff...We even bumped into the General Manager who bought us drinks and dinner because we told him it was our anniversary....how great was that!

We enjoyed killer sunsets from the bar, C Street it is called and it was really a great place to relax and unwind since we drove from San Francisco that day.

Our room was extremely clean, bed was incredably comfortable and we slept like babies....

Number one in Ventura if you ask us,

Stayed December 2006
4 Thank KekoaSanDiego

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
San Clemente, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2006

After reading the reviews, I called in September and asked if there still would be renovation in December '06. I was told that they should be done by then, but that all worked stopped by 4 or 5pm. NOT TRUE!

We arrived around 4 pm. The parking lot is totally derelect, dirty and just plain creepy. Checked in to our "ocean view" room (more like a "parking lot view" room, but it did have an ocean view also) The drilling noise was HORRIFIC. It felt like they were in our room, drilling on our heads.

We immediately went down to the front desk, and were given another room. We were told that the drilling would stop at 8pm. YES, EIGHT O'CLOCK AT NIGHT!!!!! The front desk said that the owners decided at the last minute to change the tile in some of the bathrooms. The owners should be ashamed of themselves. 4 or 5 o'clock is somewhat reasonable if necessary, but 8 PM is INSANE. Remember, we were also told that there was NO CONSTRUCTION HAPPENING.

We were given another room, the view was THE ROOF OF A STORAGE BUILDING ATTACHED TO THE HOTEL! Totally gross. There was also plenty of drilling and tile sawing going on. We opened the slider and could have walked out onto the disgusting roof, but were treated to the cigarette smoke of all of the workers underneath us.

We got out the phone book to find another hotel,,,,,the area isn't all that great, a bit derelect all around. Picking another hotel isn't all that easy. We were there for a concert in town for one night. We weren't sure whether to hassle looking for somewhere else, or to drive 3 hours home, late at night.....

We decided to clean up, change and GET THE HECK OUT OF THE HOTEL AND AWAY FROM THE HORRIBLE NOISE AND SMOKE, and just go to dinner and hang out in town until the concert. By the time we got back at 11 or 12 pm, they should hopefully be DONE WITH THE DRILLING AND SAWING!

Had a great night in the historic section of downtown Ventura. There are great restaurants (try Cafe Fiore) and it's a great place just to walk around. Great concert at the Majestic Theater in town.

We came back to our nightmare HOTEL CALIFORNIA experience, went to sleep and promptly were awakened by drilling and sawing and cigarette smoke. Just a lovely place!

DON'T STAY HERE, IT'S AWFUL. The location is ok, but it's sort of a seedy area at night, ok in the day. The view from the hotel is weird, sort of to the side. Either the parking lot or roof interferes with the ocean view. I wouldn't stay there even if there weren't any construction. It's not very nice. The website is very deceptive. The rooms are tiny and cave-ish. They are fairly clean. I didn't expect much for $180.00. We knew that we wouldn't be staying in a luxury hotel by any means, but it's really not a comfortable, inviting hotel in general.

There is a B&B in town and I'm sure, a much better hotel!

• Liked — ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • Disliked — The construction was ridiculous, carpet was filthy in guest room, just disgusting all around.
  • Tips/Secrets — Yes, trust the majority of the reviews,,,don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank surfergirlsc

Travelers are raving about these Ventura hotels

So Cal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2006

Great proximity to downtown and beach but, housekeeping needs attention. Our family of six had two adjoining rooms...the toilet in one room was full of urine when we arrived, the other overflowed when it was flushed. Needless to say, we immediately asked for new rooms. The manager was apologetic and reduced our rates. The new rooms were completely unprepared for guests...mattresses and other items were strewn around the room. So, we went back to the front desk. The manager was very apologetic and she comp'd our stay. She personally checked out the rooms before sending all six of us back upstairs. This time, we stayed put.

Although the hotel gets high marks on customer service for this one manager alone (Sarah from Colorado, I think), I don't know that we'd ever stay there again. The lobby restrooms needed attention and several other visitors commented on it when we were there. The hotel parking lot to the north is a mess due to the construction, but you can use the adjacent parking structure to the south and the hotel will validate.

Long story short...this hotel sits on the beach, walking distance from all the great shops and restaurants downtown but, it is in serious need of greater attention to cleanliness if they want return visitors.

• Liked — The manager at the front desk
  • Disliked — The lack of cleanliness/problems with plumbing/construction mess in parking lot
  • Tips/Secrets — I forgot to mention the train tracks that run next to the hotel and the train that ran about three times during the night..it woke up others in my group, my earplugs kept me from being disturbed.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank TripTaker99
Thousand Oaks, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2006

My wife and I live only 25 minutes from this hotel and probably have driven past it more than a hundred times over the years. It was our 51st anniversary and we had planned nothing special, but on a whim, we said hey, let's stay at that place to see what it's like, and have a nice dinner at one of the better downtown Ventura restaurants.

So we made a reservation for Sunday night, Oct. 30, King size bed, ocean view, $134 something. Didn't even try for a lower rate. The web site described (accurately) the current state of renovations and it didn't look like they would be a problem for us. We did NOT read any reviews until after our stay.

The lobby was attractive, with a large seating area overlooking the ocean, and a bar on one side. Check-in clerks were friendly and efficient, and volunteered to waive the $8 parking fee for the lot adjacent to the hotel.

Our room was on the 9th floor, toward the south (ocean) end of the hotel. Our window faced west. I was skeptical about the "ocean view", and would not have been surprised to see a mere sliver of ocean, but we had an expansive view of the ocean, including "surfer's point". The first thing we did was take a nice walk along the beach front promenade. Later, we were able to watch the sun sink into the ocean before heading out for dinner at Jonathan's, only several blocks away.

The King size bed was typical of the current trend i.e. overkill. It was very comfortable, and had enough covers , bedspreads, etc. to get one through a sub-freezing night. There were sufficient numbers of pillows to support a small harem. The television was typical hotel quality, which means you wouldn't tolerate it in your home. As is common in hotels of this vintage, there was a locked door connecting to the adjacent room. I really don't like this feature, even though it can be a convenience for a family. Light and noise can come under the door, and did in this case about 4 AM. On the other hand, we probably sent some back about 6:30 AM when we turned on the TV and got an unexpected blast of sound.

Around 9 PM, we decided to go up to the restaurant on the 12th floor for dessert and coffee. We were the only ones there. There was a great view of the moon shining on the ocean, and the lights in the hills above Ventura. Halfway though my cheesecake I decided to have a glass of brandy and asked the waiter if that would be possible. He said sure and disappeared. I nursed the cheesecake until he returned after what seemed like an inordinate time, but was probably only 5 minutes. It turned out that he had taken the elevator to the bar in the lobby area to get the brandy. And of course he had warmed it in his hand on his way up, so it was ready to drink.

With regard to the freeway and the railroad, we did not find either to be a problem. Many hotels, including highly rated ones, are understandably near a major highway. Our room had double paned windows, which reduced the noise from the freeway and the railroad to an acceptable level.

We rather enjoyed the few Amtrak trains that came by. They do indeed announce their presence by a toot (or whatever sounds diesel trains make) at the California St. grade crossing near the hotel. For north bound trains, after hearing the toot, we would go out on the balcony and watch the train as it proceeded to the stop at the fairgrounds. We didn't hear any during the night. When we got home I checked the Amtrak schedule and found that the last southbound train from Santa Barbara comes through about 7 something PM, and the last northbound train from LA about 11 something PM. Of course a freight can come through anytime. I heard one, but my wife didn't.

We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel, opting instead to walk a few blocks into town to the Busy Bee Cafe, a 50s diner, where we got an excellent and inexpensive breakfast. And then to checkout.

• Liked — Proximity to downtown Ventura
  • Disliked — Door to adjacent room
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a room on the west side as far south as possible for best ocean view
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dur4153
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2006

I was in the area because of a death in the family. I looked on Trip Advisor and was turned off to the hotel due to all the bad reviews but my uncle who lives in the are told me to stay there because "the hotel looks bithcen!"

When I made my reservation I was told that the hotel was in the final stages of it renovation and there may be some noise. When I arrived and walked into the lobby I was floored. The lobby was bright, open and the view of the ocean through the large glass doors was breath taking. We were luck enough to arrive right at sunset and watch it go down behind the island. It reminded me of the sunsets in Hawaii. The front desk staff was very friendly and inviting.

My room was nice size, ver clean, killed bed and again have a great view. I went on the balcony to watch the last of the surfers come in and took in the fresh ocean air.

One thing that blew me away was the front desk person that check me in sent to my room a hand written card and a plate of nice treats. The card said sorry for your loss...I would have never expected that as I told her my reason in town.

My final review. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. There was a little bit a work still going on but not enough to make me think twice about it. From my understanding they have come along way and they deserve the chance.

• Liked — The beds were great and the view
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BiggPappa
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2006

We booked far in advance for what we hoped would be a "pleasant weekend" away from LA for my girlfriend's birthday. Even at a big discount the rate was $160 a night before tax. But because of the great location and the proximity to a terrific seafood restaurant (Eric Ericsson's) we were really looking forward to a restful weekend stay.

We arrived late Friday to find that because of construction there were only TWO elevators working, and that because of a big convention that packed the hotel, there was a line nearly a half-block long to get on the lift. Our wait time: nearly 25 minutes at 11pm after a long, exhausting car trip. Kafkaesque.

If you read the other reviews, they object to the problems caused by the hotel remodeling. But I wouldn't stay at this property even if the work had been fully completed, due to the problems with noise and the difficulty with getting to and from the parking lot.

The room interior was okay but it was so LOUD that we literally would not be able to sleep there because of the traffic noise. A call to the management got us an instant offer for a big rate reduction to a hundred bucks, but even if it was fifty bucks, we wouldn't have stayed. Instead we drove back to LA in the middle of the night and had a comfy nite at home, for free.

There is almost no reference to either the temporary or intrinsic problems that are occuring at the Crowne Plaza. Shame on this corporation for perpetuating the fraud that this is an "exclusive" property. The Crowne Plaza in Ventura was a nightmarish experience that I urge you to avoid at all costs.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Exlax
L.A., CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2006

I'd like to add our voices to the chorus of complaints about the Crowne Plaza Ventura. It is still undergoing major renovations, which makes it a very unpleasant place to stay. Even the discount Priceline rate was unreasonable, given the state of that hotel.

First off, the hotel is located right by the 101 freeway, and the Amtrak trains pass and toot loudly at ungodly hours of the morning. On top of that, you've got construction workers drilling, driving, and banging away, so don't expect a quiet visit. (There are several "cute" messages in the room about the noise, and you get a set of earplugs in a pretty bag.)

When we arrived in the evening, the hotel parking lot was full, so we had to park in the public parking structure next door and schlep our things over to the hotel. It is a public/open parking area with no visible security at night. It's a funky area, so I would recommend caution after dark. At no point did anyone offer to help with the luggage. (They seem understaffed.)

The better part of the first floor does look like a bombed out area. The room itself was small and fairly tidy, with very little closet space. Apparently, this was a former Holiday Inn that they failed to refurbish completely. Some of the trash cans and the television screens still display the Holiday Inn name and logo on them. Their TV satellite reception was spotty, and the remote malfunctioned. The barren balcony overlooked a bit of the ocean, but our view consisted mainly of the parking lot, construction vehicles and debris, and giant, dusty air conditioners littered with cigarette butts on the roof level below.

We were informed that the hotel restaurant would not be open for guests because of a youth convention going on that weekend.

The main reasons to stay at this hotel are its proximity to the ocean, and to the downtown area. Just make sure you don't spend any time in the hotel itself, except maybe to sleep, shower, and leave your luggage. Then again, you might as well stay at a much cheaper & more pleasant alternative.

• Liked — Location near beach & downtown Ventura.
  • Disliked — Fallout from ongoing renovation (noise, inconvenience, mess).
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple