“Another Road Scholar/Elderhostel Program” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach

Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
Santa Paula, California
“Another Road Scholar/Elderhostel Program”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

This hotel is headquarters for the Channel Islands National Park programs. Last week 30 of us enjoyed staying at this excellent venue located right on the beach and only a short walk to the heart of Ventura. The staff never disappoints and every room has a view. I love staying there.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a north-south orientation so the even numbered rooms get the sunset and the odd numb...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

This hotel is right by the beach but also right next the freeway and a railtrack. It was very noisy, I dont think the windows fit properly so the traffic noise made for a poor nights sleep. The hotel itself is pleasant. The rooms are a good size and the restaurant and pool were very nice. The waitress service by the pool was quick, friendly and efficient. If only the windows get the road noise out.....

Room Tip: As far away from the road as possible....
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Santa Monica, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

just got home from a miserable hotel experience. This place is right on the Ventura beach, so it's got location and ocean view going for it. That's all. When I booked it for the Mother's Day weekend the reviews I saw were about a B or B+. I give it an F+ tops. I booked and prepaid for an ocean-view room with a king-size bed. Upon checking in the check-in clerk informed me they were sold out of ocean view king rooms and I would have to accept a non ocean view room on a lower floor, I informed her I had paid for ocean view and expected same. She then offered me a room with 2 queen-sized beds--not quite the same but better than no ocean view. it was downhill from there. This is the first hotel (as opposed to motel) I have ever stayed at that did not have valets to greet, park cars and assist with bringing in luggage. This should have been the tipoff that this hotel is really a motel in masquerade. We unloaded our luggage, parked our car, then got a bellhop to assist bringing the luggage to our room. Our room had an ocean view, but also had more ambient street noise than I've ever heard from a hotel before. We called down for extra towels and two wine glasses so we could enjoy some of the wine we brought with us. Yes sir, we,ll have housekeeping bring up to you right away. Never saw either. Hey don't worry there's a coffee maker in the room so we'll have coffee. Oops, no carafe to hold the coffee. Clearly no one had adequately checked out our room before we moved in. so we went into town for a lovely dinner and forgot our woes with the hotel. Unfortunately, when we returned, the hotel's parking lot was full and of course there is no valet so we had to ask in the lobby as to where we could park. They told us to park in the public lot across the mall and bring them the receipt for validation. again, it was all on us to service ourselves. just like any motel, certainly not a hotel. Luckily just then a couple emerged to their car and we got their spot without having to drive to the public lot. all in all this was an experience we would never repeat. The beach view was not worth all the irritations and missing hotel amenities.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aresverde
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Dear aresverde,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and posting a review about your experience. I am sorry to see that your expectations were not met during your stay, since you mentioned in detail that you were supposed to get an ocean view room.

As we value all of our guests, your comments are highly appreciated and will be used in focusing on improvements. We look forward to another chance in serving you on your next visit to Ventura Beach.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel several times for work. It is always a pleasant stay and I have seen many upgrades take place over the last couple years. It is an older hotel so it doesn’t have the “fresh” feel of maybe somewhere like the Hilton in Oxnard, but let’s be honest; you are staying here for the view and location. The hotel is right on the beach and whether you are on the North or South facing side of the hotel you will have a balcony that looks out onto the Pacific ocean (if you are on the North side you can wake up and watch the surfers each morning, while the South side looks out onto the pier….both great views).

There is a nice bar in the lobby and the restaurant puts out a pretty solid breakfast. Customer service is always very hospitable and there is onsite parking, although it is kind of pricey. Although it’s older, the location makes this place the hotel of choice whenever I travel out this way.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I picked this place for a weekend get away because of the location. It is on the beach and you can walk over to the pier or along the board walk in the evening. It is a 10 minute to the main street where a lot of restaurants, bars, and cafes are. It is a little hard to find the parking lot entrance if you have never been here before. I accidentally pulled into the beach parking structure next door thinking it belonged to the hotel.

The room was small but comfortable. It was very clean and looked like it was remodeled lately. Parts of the lobby looked like it was recently remodeled also. The meeting rooms are small and right next to the lobby so the meeting that was there the weekend I stayed overflowed into the lobby making it a little cramp. The hotel has the standard lobby bar which was open and airy. It actually spills into the main lobby also. The pool looked small and is located off the bar. Parking is tight in the main lot. Not a fan of hotels charging for parking when you stay there.

It is right next to the train tracks but never heard the trains go by. It depends on how lightly you sleep. Suggest getting a higher room if your sound sensitive.

I loved the location of the hotel. I would stay here again.

1 Thank Joe T
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had a one night stop over at this hotel, right on the ocean. I was traveling with my 12 year old son. We did not spend any additional time in Ventura, only the hotel. We found it to be a great value for the price. We had a room on the fifth floor where we could see the ocean. I used the laundry room to run two loads of wash and it worked great. The area was in fog when we arrived, so instead of checking out the beach my son enjoyed the pool. It was heated and lit. He loved it. We also figured we would be fancy and get a room service breakfast (and save time finding a place) it was delicious.
One thing to look out for: there was a $60. 'fee' on the bill I have no idea what it was for. When I showed it to the front desk I was told it was a mistake and it was promptly removed. Something to keep an eye out for.
All employees we came across were friendly/professional and helpful. This is not a five star place, it does seem to be fancy, but some of things in the room (bathroom) are old. However, it's reflected in the price.
I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I would ask for the higher up floors if you want an ocean view.
1 Thank Wendypics6
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed here 1 night while visiting family last Christmas. Great view with close proximity to the Harbor. Check out Andrea's for good fish and chips. We booked on Priceline Express Deals for a much cheaper price than listed. Only downside is you have to pay for parking.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Mmgpnp,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad you liked our great location. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge their pleasant stay.

I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer for to our guests.

Jaime W