“Subpar for a Crowne Plaza”

Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
Vancouver, Canada
“Subpar for a Crowne Plaza”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Staff very rude, not pleasant while checking in. We are platinum club and were not told of the breakfast - when we inquired - they didn't even acknowledge us as platinum just said its only for exclusive cub members - seriously the front desk needs customer relation training - no smiles here. Rooms are worn/dated and dirty. Cleaning staff does a poor job. Don't ask for an ocean view as you will be paying for it and every room has an ocean view. We won't be wasting our money here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa H
CPVB_Management, Online Media Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for writing a review. Sorry that you did not enjoy your stay however we would like to hear more from you. I'm wondering if you contacted any mangers during your stay to make it more satisfying. If you did not can you please give us a call so that we can with you about the problems that happened during your stay.

Just so you are aware our rooms are currently going through an update. We are in the process of updating the linens, moving new mattresses and just today adding flat screens to a bunch of new rooms so if you even choose to comes back you may see a new hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for my boyfriend's 40th birthday weekend, July 27th-29th, two nights, with two connecting rooms, as we find the only way to travel with our blended family (3 Kids) is to reserve two rooms or a suite. I had read the Trip Advisor reviews after making the reservation and was already not expecting top quality, but this was much worse than I had imagined all the way around. The location is cool, right on the beach boardwalk, but the beach itself is not the nicest nor cleanest in Ventura. We walked on it once, and kids played in the water, and there was a wedding on the beach when we first checked in, and it just didn't feel like the kind of beach we enjoy spending time on. A better, cleaner beach without all the homeless and druggies is a bit further west.

Check in was nothing special. I was immediately upset though, at the fact that my phone was ringing as I was parking, as a front desk agent was calling me to ask if I really needed two connecting rooms, because they were not going to be able to fulfill my request for one King bed room and the other with two queens. I didn't answer the call, and instead went to the desk, where I was told they could only put me on the 5th floor (middle of hotel) even though the reservationist requested upper floor rooms for me, and they would not be able to give us one King room, but instead two queens. The hotel was full and that was that, take it or leave it. Well, my boyfriend and I can sleep in a queen bed, but it's not ideal. We are far more comfortable when we aren't compromised for space when we sleep, as we both have back/neck issues. I told them the reservations stated an upper floor, and they were like, yeah, the 5th floor is upper. And good thing because the floors below 5th have not yet been 'upgraded' with queen beds and have full size instead. I would've had a raging fit if that had been all they could offer me. At this point I looked at the print out and realized they charged both rooms the daily $12 parking fee. I read about this on another review, so, I told them that my kids didn't need parking (all under 12), could they remove that fee now. They did, but only after a bit of back and forth about how it should be taken care of at checkout. I told them I'm here right now, in front of you, taking time away from my weekend getaway to deal with this, so, fix it. They did. The lobby is ok. You can tell they spent some money at some discount hotel store and put up 3 huge mirrors and some plants in big pots, LOL. Way to up the decor, Crowne Plaza! The weather was bright and sunny and that helped create a nice vibe in the main area, getting a glimpse of the ocean out in front. The main bar is right there, too. As Priority Club members we got four free drink coupons. BUT--here's the best part. Check in is at 4pm. We got there at 4:15, and at 4:30 our rooms were STILL NOT READY! We went outside and checked out the pool and patio and then finally had to ask someone to go check on the status. He came back to us saying we could go to the rooms, but they might not be done cleaning yet. What? We had dinner reservations and needed to change clothes and freshen up, so, we did, but it was 4:45 by this time and no one offered us any type of "I'm sorry" either. OK...so, here we go off to our rooms. Holding breath, praying all the way up the elevator...

YIKES. From the minute we exited the elevator my heart was sinking. The hallway was filthy, with badly dinged up, damaged walls and the room doors were visibly worn and damaged with paint chipping and black scuff stains. We open the door and gulp, oh boy...the maid 'finishing' up her brilliant cleaning job was leaving and we did have connecting rooms, smack in the middle of the 5th floor. Not the best place to be. Rooms 515 and 514. The rooms were very much like what other reviewers said, but perhaps a little worse. Carpets: filthy, old, stained with very large worn patches where you could feel the softness/cushion was gone and instead, the hardness of the cement underneath. Not plush by any means and stains too big to be anything but pet poop reminders. And because the maid was working so hard to clean the room for us, she just happened to leave behind some old French fries and nacho chips on the floor, too! No joke. At the sliding glass window, the old food was still there for God knows how long, which tells me she really doesn't vacuum all that well, or care, which also explains the enormous amount of visible dust underneath the TV cabinet. Wasn't bad enough with the stains, and badly worn, food covered carpet--when the coastal sun shines its light into the room, it illuminates the however old dust pile that no one every thought to use an attachment to vacuum up. NICE. If food was left behind, how bad was the rest of her cleaning??? I'm afraid to wonder to deeply about this. The other room was a bit cleaner, no visible food, but there was dust and the kids didn't care because they had Disney channel on. And thank goodness that channel came in on their tv because HARDLY ANY CHANNELS had reception on ours. Can you imagine a 'Crowne Plaza' with such bad television reception (and yes, on an old tube tv, just like other reviewers said) that maybe 3 or 4 stations actually were visible without snow/static? My boyfriend actually had to pull the tv out of the cabinet and fix the wires several times just so we could kind of watch some basic cable! For those less inclined to do that, I suppose you just settle for one network channel and/or read? The lamps and clock were not plugged in, the curtains were ugly and old décor, the bedspread was a bit updated (praying that they were washed well or at least changed from the last people in the room) and nothing much else. No extra chair or couch, but a small desk, tiny closet in an already very small room. The bathroom was a joke. Way too small, with a small mirror (one person at a time for this one) that had very dated paint that was chipped and scratched away. The sink faucets needed adjustment and blasted us with water just turning them on slightly and the shower faucet had actually COME OFF THE WALL and I guess no one thought of gluing it back on, or whatever. The maid didn't think it was important enough to tell the maintenance staff? That is, if they have one.

Anyway, the balcony was more of the same--dirty, old chipped and rusted paint, tiny little table and chairs that are nothing but metal...no cushions or comfort and view was more of the parking structure on top of the Aloha restaurant than of the ocean. Yes, frwy was right there and noisy and the train, well, if you prefer not to be woken up at 3am by a very loud train, and then again at 6am or around there, and then throughout the day...this is not a place you should stay, ever. But worse than the frwy and train noise were the punk street/beach kids/gangs that hang out right there at night. Loud, cursing, drunk and drugged kids wanting to start fights with each other. We heard a woman yelling, and it turned out to be the woman in the room next to us, yelling down at the brawl that was about to happen below our balconies. The hotel management broke up the fight, and then we got to watch a drug deal go down not too long after. How sweet it is to stay here!

The hotel restaurant, OMG. The worst service I have ever had pretty much and don't let reservations talk you into buying these 'discount' breakfast coupons when you make RSVP, because THEY DON'T HONOR THEM ANYMORE at the hotel. Hmmm...wonder if someone should communicate with the phone staff and the restaurant staff so people like you and me don't waste our money???? What a revolutionary thought! We didn't find this out until after the really basic breakfast that took forever to get to us, after we were totally ignored by three waiters after we sat down (there was also no one there to greet us when we walked in), and I mean, totally ignored. We ordered coffee when we were first brought to the table, and no one came back to give us any. Two more waiters had to be given the same order, and then finally someone brought us cups and coffee. I had to request cream, and that took another 5 minutes of gazing at my coffee cup before it arrived. My daughter wanted hot chocolate and one waiter vanished in search of it, only to come back 10 minutes later saying there was none in the hotel. None? LOL! Love it, Crowne Plaza! The best part was when we requested salt for our eggs/hasbrowns, and no one brought it to us. NO ONE. The salt shaker on our table was empty. So, my boyfriend and I see a salt shaker on another table were no one was sitting and he got up and took it. Finally, we were able to eat. All of this drama, and the restaurant had only a few tables full! It was after the breakfast rush. And there were plenty of wait staff hanging around, including a female manager who didn't look like she liked her job. Then we ended the meal to find out that we were going to get fully billed for this brilliant culinary experience, even after we showed them the paid-for vouchers. The manager did end up honoring the vouchers, and good thing because she prevented me from using her name here.

The beach/boardwalk patio was not well cleaned which was a shame because it could be a nice little place to hang out and have a cocktail or hot chocolate, that is, if the hotel had any. The pool was almost too warm and the towel service was not in abundance and twice I had to walk wet to the front desk and ask to have towels brought out to the pool, as there was none.

Just so you know, I filled out a customer complaint with the IHG website detailing all of this and got a limp response just two days ago from someone saying they would pass my comments to the General Manager. Big whoop. When the hotel sent me an online survey I stated I had nothing nice to say, and would give them several days to respond before I went ahead and wrote a review for Trip Advisor. No one got back to me in any way. So, here is my review. Good luck if you still want to stay here. I truly, truly hope your experience is somehow better than ours was if you do.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Aprilbull
Alex T, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I want to sincerely apologize that your expectations were not met. We strive to make sure our entire guest’s enjoy their stay here at the Crowne Plaza. We appreciate your honest and sincere feedback and we will be taking steps in ensuring we take all your concerns and address them individually. We have already started a refresh project within the hotel replacing carpets, new beds and TVs. We hope one day we can the opportunity to have you back and have us serve you above and beyond your highest expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Ventura hotels

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed here for five nights with a Road Scholar tour. The hotel is the tallest building in town having been grandfathered in before an ordinance forbid anything above 3 stories. It sits on the beach with all rooms having a view of the beach. Each room has a balcony with chairs to sit and look at the ocean, but I'm not sure it is ever warm enough to do that. The week we were there the high temperature hovered about 70 (August). Morning marine layer added to the cold. Still there were surfers our every morning. Don't know if the air conditioning worked, we never used it.
The room was pleasant with the only complaint being that the bath was small and all in one room with a single sink making for morning and evening congestion. Staff was very friendly, helpful and accommodating.
Noise level from nearby rte 101 and the railroad is a problem if you want to leave the window open. You will not hear the surf. With the window closed, only the occasional train whistle was a problem.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Simi Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has an awesome location. It's walking distance to the downtown shops, steps from the beach & near many yummy restaurants. The staff at the front desk is friendly and the room service and restaurant staff are exceptional! Accommodating, cheerful & professional. Unfortunately, the rooms are just so-so. It looks as though they recently updated the bedding decor but in our room(619) they failed to change the curtain color. The balcony above us constantly had water dripping from it. The balconies are small & the chairs look cheap. The ocean view rooms are ok. If you are lucky enough to get a room in the front one third of the hotel, your views are much better. There is a lot of freeway vehicle noise. Trains go by as well, but I didn't find them to be a problem at night.

I do recommend this hotel based on the location and the staff's quality service. I have stayed here many times over the years and come back just because of its location. On this trip the Ventura County Fair was going in & it was a quick walk to
the fair.
The hotel restaurant is quite good. I would also recommend Cafe Fiore and Eric Ericson's on the pier.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Love2Travel1632,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient and for your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the room and balcony condition. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
twin fall, id
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Ventura for two weeks while attending Katherine Chang Liu's Art Conference/Workshop. This is my fourth summer to stay at the hotel, and the service has always been excellent. In the past I was a quest of the hotel. However, this is the first year that the workshop was held in the hotel. For the workshop and our room service, the staff was always friendly and accommodating. There were 25 people in our group, and in addtion some of us came with spouses. The food in the restaurant was good. You can't beat the location. It is a short walk into town, and the hotel is right on the beach. I plan to attend the workshop next year and I will stay again at the Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fifth floor thru the ninth foor are quieter than the rooms on lower floors. They are i...