“Good Location, Good Stay”

Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
“Good Location, Good Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my girlfriend one night in the summer as a sort of "Stay-cation" since we live in Ventura. We liked the overall vibe and the staff was really nice to deal with, but the room was kind of small. The location was excellent for the beach and downtown entertainment. The restaurant (C-Street) was good food at a reasonable price. Overall I would say it was worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2012
Adam C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thanks so much for your comments and 4-rating. It's great to hear that we were able to provide you with an excellent travel experience right here in your local area. There is always more to explore in Downtown Ventura and we are proud to be your choice for a perfect "stay-cation". Following us on the social media sites is a great way to stay up-to-date on all of the latest happenings at our hotel and in the local area. We hope to see you back at our hotel soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

It was impossible to get service at C-Street. We were sitting out on the patio early afternoon hoping to get a bite to eat. After talking to the manager, someone came out. There were eight of us so we asked the service if he wanted to get a pen. He said he could handle it. He brought the drinks out promptly. The problem came when the food arrived. Only 7 lunches came out. He said he knew he was missing one. Instead of admitting he had forgotten what the order was, he sent someone else out to ask after ten minutes, then a second person delivered it. Later delivering drinks and food to other tables, he never even apologized for his error. When commented on this fact, he said he was going to. The manager then came out to say the meal would be free, do you think? The service was disgraceful!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Vanski for your review of our restaurant. The C-Street Restaurant and Aqua Lounge have a great reputation for outstanding food and customer service. I am surprised and disappointed to hear that your breakfast was not handled well. I have passed on your comments to the food and beverage management for review and we will be sure to address the issues you mentioned immediately. I hope you will come visit our hotel and restaurant again soon so we can show you a better experience. Feel free to contact us if there is anything we can to do to win you back.

Travelers are raving about these Ventura hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Shame on me for not looking at Trip Advisor before booking this hotel. I had such a bad experience that I ended up checking out after 2 nights and switching hotels. Let me preface this by saying that I travel quite a bit for my job and have stayed at all hotel chains, so I know what is acceptable and what just isn't. There were too many unnaceptable things at the Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach...

Upon check in, they failed to give me the wifi password (should be a standard procedure) and the vouchers for my breakfast each morning (my rate included breakfast each day).

When I got to my room, I was surprised to find a non-flat screen tv. Overall, the room was in serious need of an upgrade. The bathroom light was way too dim and the shower was dingy. On top of all of that, the toilet was filling with water every 10 minutes or so and there was a dripping noise coming from above.

Naturally, I closed the bathroom door to shut out these annoying water noises only to discover that the door knob was STICKY. I'm not one to complain, but there were way too many things wrong NOT to complain.

So I got in person to the front desk thinking they are going to be apologetic and offer to change my room. NOPE! Instead they asked when maintenance could come by to look at the toilet.

When I got back to my room later that evening, the door knob was still sticky and the toilet was still filling with water. That obviously made me feel like they could care less about accomodating me as their guest. So I made the best decision - to check out 4 days sooner than originally planned. They did NOT deserve my business. When I went to the front desk to let them know I was checking out earlier than planned, all of a suddent they tried to offer me another room. To that I responded "you had that option when I complained and you didn't even offer it to me!" My mind was made up and I am much happier now.

Also- the C-street restaurant has terrible service!

The only thing this hotel has going for it is its location. Don't waste your money at this dissapointing hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you ckcurls for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm very disappointed to hear about your experience and I will definitely follow up with all staff involved to make sure we improve on the items you mentioned. We should have responded differently to your initial communication to the front desk. I feel your stay was not at all up to our standards and I would love for you to give us another chance so that we can show you a much improved experience over the last time. I would be happy to speak with you if you would like to book with us in the future and I will make sure you receive outstanding service and a great room. Thanks again for bringing your feedback to our attention.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We really loved our time in Ventura. The location right on the beach was fabulous and we enjoyed the open lobby & bar. All rooms had ocean views. Unfortunately we did get a lot of highway noise if the door was open (which covered up most of the ocean sounds), but we weren't bothered by the highway with the door shut while sleeping. Rooms were just basic, but the price I paid on Priceline was very reasonable so I was happy with the value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your comments. I'm excited to hear that you enjoyed our location here on the beach and that you found our hotel to be a great value. Hopefully you will come back and see us again soon. There is always something new and exciting going on here. You can follow us on our social media channels to keep up to date on all of the activities here at the hotel and in the local area. We look forward to your next visit!
Temecula, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

For starters the hotel seems to be under staffed. The employees are unable to promptly help their customers in a timely manner. We waited in a very long line to check in. The employees were very polite but overworked. I understood my family would be staying next to the freeway but not a homeless shelter. Many of the homeless were charging their electronic devices in the light poles outside of the rooms while trying to score drugs. Not the family atmosphere I was looking for. Non guests were sneaking in the pool area from the back door near Aloha Steakhouse. Next time I want to go on a vacation with my family, I will just stay at a hotel in downtown Long Beach. Anthony this is truly a hotel Impossable project.

• Stayed April 2013
Adam C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you were not impressed with your stay. We appreciate your feedback and will definitely take your comments to heart in order to improve our service. Our guest security is a top priority for us and had we been aware of the issues you mentioned we would have responded immediately. We have been working in tandem with the City of Ventura to improve the promenade's image and have made some great strides this year including immediate response security to any disruption of peace in the public areas surrounding the hotel. We are a regular destination for traveling and local families to enjoy Ventura Beach and we will continue to help promote a family-friendly environment through vigilance and responsiveness. Again we appreciate you bringing those items to our attention. We hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Fountain Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had a great time staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Ventura. The room was neat and clean. We had a beautiful ocean view. It was close to downtown Ventura. I would definitely stay there again next time we pass through.

Room Tip: All the rooms have ocean views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. I'm so glad to hear that your stay was outstanding. We hope to see you back at our hotel very soon. Thanks again for the 5 star rating!
Santa Monica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was supposed to stay at this hotel from Friday to Sunday. After checking in on Friday and spending some time at the pool, the lounge and in my room, I abruptly left. This is the worst hotel I have stayed at; even worse than the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay. I am not a complainer; I have stayed at many hotels that I have liked and recommended. However, avoid the Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach. Firstly, it is adjacent to the Amtrak railroad tracks; so, throughout the day you can hear the trains running. The lounge mats at the pool were stained from head to foot; they were gross. The towels provided at the pool were shredded around all edges, with long strings hanging off all sides. In my room, there was no bedside clock. I called downstairs twice; I never received a clock. The hairdryer in the bathroom didn't work. The room towels were so threadbare and scratchy that if I had used the face towel, I would have been left with red scratches! All in all, it was just horrible.

Room Tip: My only tip is to stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
GKohler, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent review of our hotel. We were distressed to hear about your concerns during your stay and would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you.

Your comments about the pool lounge mats and furniture are sincerely appreciated and unfortunately your stay was exactly one week prior to the delivery day of our brand new upgraded pool furniture/lounge pads. We hope to see you again soon so that you may enjoy your time at our ocean-side pool and enjoy the view of the Santa Barbara Channel and the Chanel Islands from our poolside lounge. The same is true for our new order of pool towels. Please feel free to contact our sales office directly to make your next reservation so that we can thank you for your past patronage and let you know about the rest of our current renovation program that is underway as well as our pending upgrades to be completed within the next few months.

Our renovations started at one part of the hotel and we are working our way through the rest of the rooms as we go through the year. It sounds like you were not in one of our newly upgraded rooms, since we were completely sold out last weekend and had to use every room in the hotel, including rooms that had not been fully completed with the "Refresh" program, and you did not have the new iPod alarm clock or new hair dryer. There is no excuse for the lack of bringing up a replacement item for your stay. Again we thank you for your constructive comments as we used your specific feedback to review the service and product needs as we work our way through the "Refresh" program. We have spoken to our our team in departmental meetings and fully addressed your issues and immediately implemented corrective actions to insure better follow-though in the future.

Should you return before we complete all 258 rooms, please contact us in the Sales Office so we can insure that you are placed in one of our newly "refreshed" rooms. We know you will love the new products we are installing and we look forward to being of better service to you in the near future. We are confident you will "Love" the newly refreshed rooms and other product enhancements we are adding to the hotel in the coming months.

Again we sincerely thank you for sharing your constructive comments with us as we are continually striving to ensure that our hotel is a special beach side retreat hotel that guests love.

Hopefully you will give us an opportunity to show you our more typical outstanding service combined with our new and improved products.

In the meantime, have safe travels and continue to write reviews for the benefit of hotels and travelers alike.

Gary Kohler