“Very frustrating”

Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I booked our room about a month in advance. When we made our reservation, we requested a west facing room with king size bed and were told "no problem". When we checked in, we were given an east side room. We called the front desk and asked for a west side room. We were told that rooms are given first come, first serve and reservation request are basically NOT applicable. The only west side room available was double beds. We had no choice but take the room with double beds.

We had a difficult time opening the door and had to call maintenance.

There was no remote in the room for the "ancient" television. We had to call for a remote twice before we got -1- that worked.

Coffeemaker would not work. After 10 minutes messing with it, turns out it was unplugged.

Lastly, the double bed was soo uncomfortable my husband and I did not get one bit of sleep.

The next day, we asked to move our room again to a king room on the west side of the hotel. We were accomodated thank goodness.

Room Tip: Don't request a certain room or accomodations in advance because you probably won't get them...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Munda R
CPVB_Management, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Munda R,
I am so sorry that our hotel fell short of your expectations. I apologize that we were not able to get you into the room requested and there were several items within the rooms that were not setup properly or below standard. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future. We are currently refreshing our guest rooms with up-to-date furniture, flat screen TVs, and new armoirs. By year's end we will also have new carpet in many of our rooms. We constantly strive to improve our product and service and would not be able to do so without feedback like yours. I encourage you to contact me directly if you book a room at our hotel again and I would be happy to make sure we meet your requests. We hope to see you at our hotel again in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great service, awsome food, excellent views and walking distance to dozens of restaraunts and shopping. I spent 70 nights at CP for business and can't wait to return for pleasure. The on site grill & bar are hard to beat...They have a great team and they really take care of their guests. I was really spoiled during my stay. The climate was always around 70-75 degrees. Best location in town.Thank you Crown Plaza for a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: I always requested a West facing room, great sunsets & surf and windsailer watch.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Adam C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

John,
Thank you so much for you kind words. We have passed on your comments to our staff. We are elated that we were able to help you have a successful stay here in Ventura and enjoy your downtime as well. There are a lot of exciting improvements going on here at the hotel and around Ventura. We are looking forward to your return!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

It's got the best view in Ventura County, both from the indoor lounge area (comfy couches, seating, bar) and the patio and deck. Plus here's something you don't see at many hotels--really good bar food. REALLY good. Went there yesterday to relax and celebrate my birthday while savoring a spectacular sunset. Validated parking=free+easy. We started outside, then moved indoors after sunset (though heat lamps & firepit outside make dining into the night possible). You can also order full meals off of the restaurant menu, but we mostly stuck to the killer happy hour appetizers. Calamari in pineapple salsa and the ahi tuna wontons are stand-outs.

But what keeps us coming back to C Street Bar is the excellent service. We're always made to feel welcome, even if we just want to hang out with a coffee and snack. Our server, Rinella, was everything one could ask for. Sweet, attentive, gracious and prompt. She went out of her way to make our celebration special--she brought a magnificently presented dessert (on the house!!), a huge chunk of yumalicious chocolate cake with candle, garnished with whipped cream and berries. And the part that really touched me? She wrote "Happy Birthday" in chocolate syrup across the plate! What's not to love? Thanks Rinella and C Street for another memorable milestone.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
GKohler, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Thank you for your great review of the Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach hotel. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service, food, and drinks in Aqua Beachfront Bar and that you always find the food at C-Street Restaurant to be so "magnificently presented" and as you said, "yumalicious".

We are especially pleased that you enjoyed the "excellent service" and special touches that our staff created for your special event. Your server, Ranelle is a fine example of our professional and extremely friendly food and beverage team. We will be sure to pass on your enthusiastic praise to her and our creative and award winning culinary team. It is gratifying that you selected our ocean-side lanai patio dining for the special occasion of your birthday, and we are happy that we could play such a positive part of creating a "memorable milestone" event for you.

We look forward to seeing you and your friends here in Ventura Beach often, and that you will come by to enjoy the views of the sunsets over the sea again soon, while sitting at the fire pits and enjoying the best Calamari ever!

Thanks again for your gracious comments and your patronage.

Here's wishing you safe travels and happy dining from your team at C-Street Restaurant, Aqua Beachfront Bar, and the Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach Hotel

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I spent six nights at the Crowne/Ventura and now feel we have a place to return to whenever we visit SoCal. I liked the energy of the hotel, the staff could not have treated us much better and we loved our room and the view. If you are looking for a resort hotel with convenient amenities, good food and things to do within walking distance then choose the Crowne Plaza/Ventura. Stroll along the promenade, emjoy the sea breezes, watch the surfers and simply settle into California. A wonderful experience - we will be back!

Room Tip: Get a room up high for the bettter sea views!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent review of the Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach Hotel. We were so pleased to hear about your wonderful six night stay at our seaside hotel. We were pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your guest room and the magnificent views of the Santa Barbara Channel and the Channel Islands. Ventura Beach is a charming seaside town and we are happy to learn that you will be coming back when your travels bring you to the California Central Coast and Southern California area. We look forward to your returning visit soon.

We are pleased that you found the time to stroll along the beach and the Promenade Boardwalk, enjoying the sea breezes and watching the surfers in front of the hotel. It reminds us of what a special part of the California Coast this is, and how lucky we are to be in the quaint seaside village of Ventura Beach. We hope our home becomes your frequent "home-away-from-home" for your California Coastal travels.

Thank you for your TripAdvisor ratings of 5 stars for our Rooms, Service, Location, and Value. We are constantly striving for excellence in our pursuit of providing a Crowne Plaza experience that truly creates hotel experiences that guests love.

Safe travels,
The staff of the Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach

Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Let's see... Tiny bathroom, leaking iron, non-working outlets, non-secure wifi complete with scary warning, impossible-to-find luggage carts, poor service in restaurant. No fridge in our room. No safe thought you could stash stuff at the front desk.Oh and there was a young woman who was stuck in an elevator for 2 hours. It obviously was not repaired (or labeled "out of service" ) because a friend got stuck with a crowd in the same elevator later that day. Hotel is pleasant looking and location can't be beat, but I got the impression they were no longer interested in customer needs. One more thing: room had been cleaned and I was resting there in afternoon when someone knocked, started to come in and asked if I was OK. I never did find out what that was about. I was caught off guard and never was able to see if it was a legitimate mistake of some kind.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you Sambagrrl for you review. I'm glad you enjoyed our look and location. We are constantly striving to improve our product and services and appreciate the information you have given us on how we can better serve our guests in the future. We are currently refreshing many amenities in the hotel and are hopeful for further renovations next year as well. I hope you will give us another chance in the future and we can show you how we've improved.

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, with a great staff in a very awesome location. Right on the beach next to the pier. You can go swimming in the ocean then hit the pool at the hotel.

Highly recommend this place if you need to stay in the area.

Walk over to Beach House Tacos for lunch then you can walk downtown for drinks, check out Barrel House 101 for beers, 101 of them on tap!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We were a group staying here for a four day retreat. We had been given a coupon for a reduction in the breakfast bill. Every day we all showed up for breakfast together and sat at the same table but we were treated like total strangers. The coupons seemed to be a mystery. Even though we had the same breakfast day after day, the price went up. We were even told it was the servers discretion if she wanted to put a 2.75 service charge on our bills. By my final day, the 11.00 breakfast was up to 19.30. I paid my portion to my leader, he paid it and it still showed up on my final bill. By then I figured that tiny omelet had soared to somewhere around 26.00. The nice lady at the front desk helped me but I am warning you..watch this extra charge at the servers discretion thing..it gets costly...

Room Tip: Some of the rooms look out onto the freeway and are a bit noisy according to some of my fellow guest...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear JudyQ_11,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I am pleased that you have given us excellent scores on Location, Sleep Quality, Rooms and Cleanliness. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. However, I would like to apologize for the difficulties you had experienced with the hotel staff. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A.