“Best Food on the Beach!”

Duke's Griddle 'n Grill
Ranked #45 of 434 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Hello Everyone, Thank you to our LOYALS!!! We will be back in September, same great food and atmosphere.
Reviewed May 11, 2012

What a great experience I had recently at Duke's. Started with the freindly greeting by the cashier. Very helpful in aiding in my decision in what to choose from their great menu of burgers, sandwiches, numerous fish dishes, soup, etc. Even though I have been here many times before, it was great to get their enthusiastic advice. I decided on returning to one of my favorite's at Duke's - the clam chowder. Easily the best in Ventura. My soup came to the table very quickly and it was hot and delicous. Another favorite at Duke's is their new Bling Burger. Definitely enough for 2! One of my friends (who is from England) comes to Duke's often and always orders their fish and chips. He swears he hasn't had better since he left Britain. Highly recommended for their great food, freindly staff and fabulous location!

There are newer reviews for Duke's Griddle 'n Grill

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Ok, where to start....this is my first negative review and I was compelled to write it because my Visit to Duke's was horrific on so many levels. Let's jump right in!

Duke's is a beach front establishment that serves sandwiches, fish plates, and salads, and in the past I came here often. A great place run by a man who obviously cared about his customers and the quality of his food. It was uniformly great! I recently stopped back in, thinking I'd have the same quality and experience, but I was sadly mistaken...Did the original owner sell? Something went seriously awry!

Let's talk atmosphere first! The service at the counter was satisfactory. I ordered a pastrami sandwich with onion rings and a drink, sat down and anticipated my meal. There were few patrons in the restaurant save for a man who sat with a computer in the dining room. Occasionally he'd look up and stare at a customer or make rude comments about them. Who was this guy? Customer? New Owner? The waitstaff seemed to know him. Then back in the corner sat a group of very loud men who seemed like transients. They were drinkiing beer and shouting profanities at each other for whatever odd reason.

Ok, I thought. This is the beach. Dukes is a colorful little spot. All kinds of divergent folks show up in beachy little dives. Heck, they have me as customer, so the class level of this dive cannot be THAT high! Still, I watched one family leave because of the abusive language...

Then the food came. The pastrami sandwich consisted of toasted white bread, a few thin pieces of dried out pastrami and a dollop of mustard. Not exactly "The Hat." O-rings were cold and nesting in a puddle of grease. I sent the onion rings back. The "fresh order" a couple of minutes later were equally bad.

Alright, on to the restroom to wash the grease off my hands. The condition of the mens' room would have made Mother Theresa gag. It was dirty and smelled like a downtown bus terminal. Not good!

So, to sum up...discomforting atmosphere, poor quality and portion of food, and cleanliness rates this place a solid zero. What a shame...it was so good a couple years back! And, who knows? Maybe I hit them on a bad day? The only thing I know for sure is I will NOT be back!

1  Thank AdventurePoser
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Sawdust on the floor burgers & fries and surfboards everywhere.
I found the atmosphire to be the best thing about Duke's. It's reputation far out reaches what the food is really like. I found everything average at best, but if you are on teh beack and just want a snack or quick something it is a Ventura favorite and has some history behind it too.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Love to come for the kona cakes for breakfast. Great Ventura locals beach establishment. Most things on the menu are pretty good. Walk in order up find a table and they will bring you your food. Even a little bit of an outdoor area.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

Atmosphere was great , Wife loved the joint, the Fries and clam chowder was great, until I took a bite of my burger, I got a bite of blood, hummm showed the waitress she took it back, figured new burger made Nope, same meat patti (reheated) on same bloody bun. Wow 4 real? yeah. Man I told my fellow Seabees, they could not believe it..I left with sweet potatoe fries.