“Capital D on this Deliciousness!”

Sumo Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #83 of 431 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Takeout
“Capital D on this Deliciousness!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Yum from beginning to end! Service is top notch sophisticated! Environment is stellar! The sushi was delicious with a capital D!! We ordered the Mexican, Sensual Pleasure, Tempura California, and the Camarillo Roll!!!! All packed with HUGE flavor! Completely fresh and delightful!! Prices are very fair and all 3 of us which included 2 females and 1 male walked away full & satisfied! Can not wait to return :)

• Visited September 2013

Ventura
“They don't come much worse”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Well I had never been here before so I thought I would give it a try. I'm sorry I did. First we waited 15 minutes for a booth which when we were seated was a booth/table scrunched in the corner. First we have a screaming 1 year old baby next to us. Then we have a half dozen foul mouth 20 something year olds next to us. Wait it gets better. The first thing the waitress brings over she tips the soy sauce on to my friends lap then just stands there and says well its a small spout on the soy sauce bottle so it wasn't much...excuse me the reality was my friend had a lap full of soy sauce and enough on her shirt to be quite noticeable. The girl slowly comes back with a few dry napkins and walks off. No water no wet rag....get this not even a " I'm sorry". Exactly no apology. Later she comes by and asks how the food was and I tell her allgood except the spilt sauce to try and illicit some sort of apology. She walks off and then really became literally the worse waitress i have ever had. We didn't spill on her, she spilt on us and then got an attitude. Great waitress. Now lets talk about the food and the restaurant. Can't tell you really anything about the place because I was shoved in a corner and had a wall on two sides of me and a waitress station behind my right shoulder where clanging kept going on throughout the meal. The food itself not terribly bad but to have to pay for that experience I would rather be eating back on the ships in the Navy ( and that was just plain terrible). I walked out and stopped and told the guy in the tie at the counter it was some of the poorest service I had ever had and he didn't seem to care. I can't believe I didn't check ol reliable trip advisor first. Good luck coming here. Loud, poor service and your treated horribly and when you tell somebody they don't even care. This review was complete fact no emotions or feelings were used in writing this review. Save yourself and your money and go anywhere else. Normally I feel truly bad about writing a review like this but the way we were treated I just have to let everyone know.

• Visited August 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great food for a reasonable price...”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Ate here recently while visiting from Las Vegas. Normally eat at a different place but they were not open. This place met my expectations and then some. Very satisfied with the food and value for the meal we had. Sushi, lunchtime items for 3 people only $45. Excellent meal with great service.

• Visited May 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BAND-AID IN MY FOOD”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Found a band-aid YES A BAND-AID IN MY ALASKAN ROLL TONIGHT 1.05.13. How unsanitary can you get? I am completely appalled with the whole situation. The apology was no justice or comfort for what was discover. My biggest fear is the unknown of what "can" happen behind tge chefs' carelessness, many diseases can be transmitted though such actions. If anyone can shed any light on the situation please do...

1 Thank Mrgemini
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Shame they do not have many vegetarian recipes on their menu”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

On our journey to Big Sur, we relied on our navigational unit to take us to nearest Japanese Restaurant. We landed here for lunch. They were pretty busy, but did not have much vegetarian choices. We felt we landed on a wrong place. We did not want to waste much time searching for another restaurant. We settled for this one. We had Salad, tofu tempura, Jalapeño poppers without chicken and rice roll sushi. All food was well presented, tasted well. Sauces were brilliant. Tofu was so fresh and tasty that we had repeat. Some vegetarian noodle soup would have been great on menu. Services were brilliant. Waitress was extremely helpful.

• Visited October 2012