“The best sushi ever!!!”

Dining options: Takeout
Oxnard
“The best sushi ever!!!”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I just moved here a year and a half ago and my nephew told me about Sumo 9 months ago and said it was a great sushi restaurant. I finally went there with a friend, and OMG why did I wait so long! It was the best food ever!! We started off with the soup, and it was so good - so full of flavor! And then we ordered 3 orders of sushi to share. The Dynamite California Roll was our favorite - it was so delicious!!! The prices are excellent, too. I'm ready to go back today!!!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Barb K

“Good first experience”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Able to find some healthy options amongst the fried foods. Busy place, short wait, service was a bit lacking

Ventura, CA
“Good food but service has slipped!”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We used to love this place. They had great food, Sushi and Japanese dinners, but the service has gotten so bad, that I really don't want to go back. We have received poor service the last three times we went there. The last time we were there my husband received his food (cooked) and I didn't receive mine for another twenty minutes and only after we flagged the waitress down and asked for it. I could see it sitting on the Sushi bar the entire time. Food was just plunked down on the table and we were completely ignored until they tossed the bill on the table. So, unless you are willing to wait along time, flag down your server for your food and you don't expect to be offered another drink or asked if you need anything else than this would be the place to go. Until the service improves I would not recommend this restaurant.

Los Angeles, California
“Decent food, great service, nice ambiance”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Sumo Japanese Restaurant, located in the Montalvo Center in Ventura, is a great spot for business lunches. The service is warm and efficient, the ambiance (recently rennovated) is nice, and the food is decent. The location is also quite convenient (just off the 101 freeway on Victoria). You are greeted at the door with a warm, friendly smile, and you are seated as quickly as possible. Reservations ensure no waiting. The tables, chairs and booths are clean and the interior of the restaurant is welcoming. The table service is warm, accommodating and efficient--great for a business lunch. The food is not what I would call "authentic" Japanese food. It is heavy on the fried food and tereyaki sauces. Similarly, the rolls are heavy on fat (mayonnaise, avocado, and fried fish). The delicate and fresh flavors of authentic Japanese cuisine are largely lacking from the dining choices here. Also the sushi can be uneven. Some is amazing, the rest is so-so. But, in my experience, this fare is fairly typical of Japanese restaurants outside of Japan or Japanese neighborhoods--and for Americanized Japanese cuisine, it really isn't bad. We got the Bento boxes. Everyone was happy with their meals, we left satisfied, and no one was late getting back to work.

Positives: service, ambiance, location

Negatives: cuisine lacks authentic Japanese flavors, tends to be overly sweet (if you get anything with tereyaki sauce, ask that the sauce come on the side, or that they go light on the sauce), and fatty (lots of fried fare, and many of the sushi rolls have mayonnaise and/or avocado)

• Visited September 2011
Camarillo, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Decent food, HORRIBLE management!”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Okay, I used to like this place, but had an incredibly rude encounter with the manager today. A group of friends and I had dinner there tonight and when we got our receipt, they had automatically added an 18% gratuity of over $18. We had gotten some sushi at the 1/2 off price because we each ordered at least 3 things from the sushi menu. Before taking the 50% off, our total WAS about $100, but after the discount, our total was $67 (with drinks and stuff). 18% of $67 is $12, not $18.
I asked to see the manager about this as I thought it was wrong of them to do that because it was not advertised that for "large" groups (there were 6 of us, myself included) there is an automatic gratuity. She came over and began arguing with me that because the waiter spent more time with us that we should be charged more and that it was "policy" and so on. Eventually, she offered to take the inflated $18 off (we paid a more reasonable tip in cash). However, when she came back to give us our new receipt, she said "you can go somewhere else" and promptly turned her back to us and walked off.
I guess she was mad that she had to step away from the bar stool where she was sitting before this whole event.

The food is good (except for the nabeyaki, which is horrible) and the waiters / waitresses are friendly, but I for one will not be going back any time soon. They keep raising the prices, their portion sizes are decreasing and the manager is clearly not capable of running a customer-friendly restaurant.

• Visited August 2011