“Gourmet food and a casual atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Zack

Cafe Zack
Ranked #29 of 425 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bonita, CA
“Gourmet food and a casual atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We visited Oxnard and asked a friend for a recommendation and he did not hesitate. In fact, he joined us! The service is outstanding and the owners are onsite and very attentive. A diverse menu and the pork was so tender. Try the lobster and corn salad! Good wine list and prices. Make sure to ask your server for recommendations. We have visited several other local restaurants and none of them match Cafe Zack!

Ventura, California
“Fabulous restaurant!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Cafe Zach is consistently exceptional in its friendly reception, attentive service and food preparation. While never being disappointed with a selection from the menu, as a frequent Zach diner a few more options would be desirable. Overall, one of our very favorite dining establishments in west county.

• Visited November 2013
San Francisco, California, United States
“Makes me wish I lived nearby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I would definitely eat here more often. CZ is not going to win its awards for any single aspect of its business -- the food was very good but wouldn't stand up next to real current foodie cuisine,;the service is humble and homey and not at all incompetent, but not five stars either; and the atmosphere... well, that may be the entire point. Either you will totally adore the warm, homey, extremely casual environment that reminds one more of a truly small european family restaurant than a Destination food purveyor, or you'll wonder what's up with this. I told my partner, I feel like I'm in the dining room of a bed & breakfast. And THAT is what makes Zach such a really special place. The food, the service and the atmosphere all match -- you feel like you are being waited on by family (and I suspect our waiter was someone's son, brother, son in law or cousin), you feel like each dish is cooked individually because it is -- you can see the tiny kitchen window passing dishes out to the tiny server's counter for dressing and delivery; and the whole thing feels almost like you are dining WITH the other dozen or so guests, as if you are all at the same dinner party. Now THAT is a feeling one rarely gets in restaurants these days -- it is very "old school" and I can see why locals treasure this and rank it 2nd in Ventura. The food was very good -- a bit buttery and heavy (yeah, can you BELIEVE I'm complaining about that? I'm not really, I'm just commenting...). The boar shank (my first ever!) was flavorful and tender but perhaps a little over sauced. It was also a HUGE serving. Sandwiches to follow. We started with shared appetizers of the lobster and sweet corn on corn husk (yum, plenty of tasty lobster -- a great mixture -- and WARM, a bit of a surprise) then the mushrooms au gratin (egads, HUGE chunks of portabello and porcini -- you don't find that dish anywhere). Next was roasted butternut squash soup -- cup not bowl and a much better sized serving, but we thought it would be helped along with something extra such as a cheesey garlic crouton or maybe some fresh fruit or veggies in the bowl. It was delicious and very fresh, nonetheless. Then the boar shank with excellent veggies and roasted potatoes -- it felt like a holiday meal. We wrapped up with one sliver of their Zach's chocolate pie. My friends are right, why DON'T I weigh 300 pounds when I eat stuff like this?

We were blessed with a fairly empty restaurant, the corner table in the window (there is no view, do not go for the view...) and just enjoyed a quiet, romantic dinner in an out of town spot that is clearly extremely special. Sorry I didn';t get to try many other things on the menu -- perhaps there's another Ventura driveby in my future. Hey, Ventura, you're a lucky town. I wouldn;t mind having this in San Francisco, but then it wouldn't be what it is... Enjoy!

1 Thank Mark B
Ventura, California
“ARGUABLY THE BEST STEAK HOUSE IN VENTURA”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Hidden away a bit in downtown Ventura is this intimate steakhouse. Excllent filet mignon....worht the $$$. Creme Brulee exceptional. Combine a great meal here with an evening at the Rubicon Theatre Company nearby.

Orbe, Switzerland
“Hidden treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

You might miss it... Small house around the corner... but definitely worth a visit.. delicious salad, original and tasty... nice cosy atmosphere, friendly service...warmly recommended

• Visited September 2013