1,018 results
All reviews best westerns train tracks main street yogurt walking distance the breakfast area convenient location nice pool bed was very comfortable two blocks continental breakfast restaurants and shops short walk to the beach fridge and microwave coffee maker santa barbara close to downtown
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We stayed one night at this motel and were assigned to room 282, up some stairs and in the most southwest corner. The good thing about this room is it's directly in front of the train tracks. The bad thing about this room is it's directly in front of the train tracks. Because the tracks cross city streets on either side of the motel, the trains blast the horn as it thunders past. This is great fun and we always ran to the window to watch the Amtrak race by. If you need to get to sleep early, the horns will more than likely wake you. The trains seemed to stop running by 10 p.m. This side of the motel is also next to the 101, so freeway noise is an issue.

I brought earplugs and the noise didn't bother me. What did bother me was a firm mattress. Mattresses are a matter of personal preference and I prefer a softer mattress. I woke around 2:00 feeling stiff and didn't drop off again until after 5:00. Unfortunately, I had to be up at 6:30.

The room was very clean with an air conditioner that worked great. The little blue chair was comfortable and I enjoyed sitting in it, reading, and waiting for the next Amtrak. We could see the Pacific from our room and noted the pedestrian bridge a block away that would take you to the beach.

The water pressure in the shower was fantastic. I wanted to uproot the tub and shower head and bring it home with me.

There are many restaurants within walking distance and we enjoyed dinner at The Lure (though my wallet says we should have stopped at Habit Burger instead). Breakfast at the Best Western was typical waffles, powdered eggs, sausage, muffins, yogurt and so forth. It was good and the coffee was hot and fresh. The girls made sure the Buffett remained stocked and clean.

There are a few tables on the patio which are nice for watching the homeless walk by. Unfortunately, beach cities and mild weather attract those without homes. There was a bit of panhandling on our way to the pedestrian bridge, but nothing outrageous. I didn't feel unsafe, but stayed alert and aware of my surroundings.

Check out isn't until noon, which gave us time for breakfast and beach exploring before packing up and heading out.

I'd stay here again, but only after I've forgotten about those mattresses. The location, though, is fantastic and so close to everything that makes Ventura a great little town.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask to have a room on the eastern side, away from the freeway and railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

A great experience all the way around. Friendly. Convenient to good restaurants and beach. Quiet. Clean. Classy. Very fresh air. We had a great time and plan to return. We are allergy refugees from LA and this was a good escape. Great Western has always been good over the years.

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2018

Great decor, rooms are nice and comfortable and the lobby and pool are immaculate!! The staff is very kind and accomodating. This hotel is an amazing location within walking distance to some of the areas best reataurants, beach and breweries.

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed September 8, 2018

I just saw the review "Much better than it looks from the outside" and I almost wrote the same title. We drove up and it seemed the hotel was a bit tired and in need of some love. Then we entered our room and what a nice surprise. Everything looked brand new and clean. A spacious room with everything you might need including a refrigerator and microwave. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. We had to ask at the front desk if all the rooms were updated. We were told that the rooms are all updated and now the outside is being updated as well. They are adding a gym and an elevator. Special thanks to Alice and Donald for their attention to our special requests. If you go, be sure to try the Vagabond restaurant nextdoor. You'll feel like you're a bit back in time with neighborly staff and regulars. Try the belgian waffle. Easy walk to the beach and to main street. A park is right across the street with some of the largest trees I've seen in awhile. A very friendly town. We would definitely go back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you cannot handle stairs, then ask for the first floor. There is no elevator (yet) to the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2018

The rooms themselves are a great size, refinished recently, and it is nice and quiet. This is definitely not a luxury stay, but if you are not in the room alot, you will be fine. We did a cruise down out of Ventura harbor, so this was great location-wise.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple