“Great Location”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Chester, UK
“Great Location”
Reviewed September 13, 2008

We stayed in Ventura for 3 nights at the end of August '08. We had previously visited Santa Barbara, which is lovely but the hotel prices seemed to have increased considerably. As an alternative we chose Ventura and were not disappointed. The hotel was easy to find and only an hour or so drive from LAX. It is a standard motel type complex with a self service buffet breakfast in the lobby/reception area. The breakfast was adequate with a waffle maker, pastries, cereal, fruit ,coffee and juice.
Our room was clean and as it was at the back of the complex, overlooked the freeway and in the distance the beach. We weren't too troubled by noise from the freeway, however there is also a railroad which runs right along side the freeway, on the hotel side, and when a train went past the whole room was shaken. Trains only went past a couple of times a day, but they did seem to go past about 3.30am. It didn't bother us too much, but it might be worth asking for a room at the side of the hotel if you are a very light sleeper!
Hotel is walking distance to the main street in Ventura where there are a good selection of bars and resturants. Also worth mentioning is the excellent wine tasting trip we took with Wine Edventures who picked us up from the hotel, took us round 3 wineries and a tasting room in the Santa Ynez valley area and then dropped us back at the hotel. Definitely a highlight of our vacation.
If you want good value accomodation, in a good location I'd recommend the Inn at Ventura and also Ventura itself.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The trains
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
05360, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura, responded to this review, September 24, 2008
Thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel. We appreciate your patronage and your insight. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
tx
Reviewed September 10, 2008

loved this hotel! we got a really good rate through the best western website. they had a pool and hot tub, laundry facilities, and a continental breakfast. we were within walking distance to the beach and right across the street was a playground. right down the street from the playground were many shops and restaurants. the staff was very friendly and helpful. very clean rooms, could have been a little bigger, but i loved that it had a built in vanity so i could sit there and fix my hair and make-up! we had a mini fridge and microwave in the room too.

• Liked — the location, beach within walking distance, shops and restaurants and a playground across the street
  • Disliked — the size of the room, could have been bigger
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you so much for your compliments and review. We are happy that you liked the service we provided. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 18, 2008

My boyfriend and I spent the day in Santa Barbara and decided to spend the night in Ventura to get away from the $300+/night hotels. What a mistake! This "inn" is a motel and is not in a great area. Contrary to other reviews, it is not walking distance to the beach (you would have to walk awhile AND cross a freeway). While the jacuzzi suite sounds lovely, the other rooms are small.

Our bathroom window had no drapes (though you couldn't see out or into it), our shower floor was cracked, and the partition between the bedroom and the "office" made the room feel even smaller. The air conditioning was extremely loud, but not as loud as the train that passed by a few hundred yards away every half hour or so. The whole room shook!

On the other hand, the rooms have been recently renovated, so they are clean. The staff is very friendly and the breakfast was free (the waffles looked fun but we didn't partake).

We considered leaving and just driving back home to LA, but we had paid what we thought was too much for the below-average motel. So we stayed the night, slept fine, and got out early.

If you are looking to stay in the area, choose elsewhere! We hear Inn at the Beach is lovely.

• Liked — Plenty of TV stations, great customer service, free breakfast
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
05360, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura, responded to this review, August 27, 2008
I apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit. If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 805-648-3101.
Carlos Cruz-Ampudia GM
Saskatchewan
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We spent one night at the Best Western Ventura on a fifteen night road trip from Canada through California and back again. Although there is nothing fancy about this motel it was above average for a family stop off. At check-in we received cookies and a beach ball for my daughter. The room itself was spacious and clean. There is a full sized closet, iron and ironing board and hair dryer. The room has a separate area with a makeup table and coffee pot which was nice. As far as continental breakfasts go this was one of the best we had in our fifteen nights. Breakfast includes cereals, milk, juices, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruits, breads and two waffle makers. There are tables both inside and out for eating in a nice service area. We did walk to the pier from the hotel in the morning. You have to cross the freeway but there is a walkway overtop the only trick is to find it. The staff were very professional and helpful. We also received an email asking for feedback on our stay once we returned home. I completed the survey and received a second email thanking me for my comments. This is one the few hotels that seemed to genuinely care how my stay was.

• Liked — Great service and breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you so much for your compliments and review. I am glad that you liked the service we provided. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.
We hope to serve you again in the future.
Carlos Cruz-Ampudia GM
Burbank, CA
Reviewed June 26, 2008

My wife and I were planning on staying in Oxnard at our favoriate hotel which was sold out. We called ahead to Ventura to the Best Western and reserved a room via phone. When we got there, we realized that they had a jacuzzi suite. All I can say is WOW!!!!!! There are two newly renovated suites next to the pool that are outfitted like the RITZ. First class everything with a jacuzzi that will fit three people. Needless to say, we had a romantic evening that exceeded our expectations. It's very hard to find rooms with jacuzzis, let alone one this beautiful. To top it off, the manager Carlos and the front desk receptionist were super friendly. Icing on the cake was the outstanding FREE breakfast in the morning. Excellent selection along with waffles, fresh bagels, etc. We cannot wait to come back for another stay at this jewel near the beach. By the way, in a couple of minutes you can walk down to the ocean by the pier.

Stayed June 2008
6 Thank Skylover
05360, Genaral Manager at Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura, responded to this review, July 23, 2008
We hope to serve you again in the future.

california
Reviewed June 25, 2008

My wife and I have stayed at the property many times. We have always enjoyed our stay. The newly upgraded rooms and remodeling was very nice with new furniture, bed, bathroom features etc...

The continental breakfast is set-up very nice with waffles, cereal, fruit and a variety of coffee's. The staff is very friendly and very attentive to your needs.

We will definately stay there again..

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
05360, General Manager at Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura, responded to this review, July 23, 2008
Thank you so much for your compliments and review. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I made a pit stop for the night at the Bestwestern on a recent trip up to the Bay Area. While I wouldn't generally consider a Best Western an amazing chain, nor would I expect all the bells & whistles of a 5-star, this property left plenty to be desired. To name a few of the more unpleasant issues, the internet connection was missing a cable, the shower tub in was peeling and the bathroom was anything but upscale. Perhaps the biggest issue was the lack of insulation in the walls. Even though it was late at night my neighbor was up and I could hear just about everything. Luckily the bed was good enough to get me to sleep and while there were many "interesting" cars staying around, most of the other guests looked to be either tourists or in the construction business so while there was a slightly off feel, that seems to be par for the course for Ventura and the property felt fairly safe all things considered.

On the positive side, my check-in was fairly at night and the clerk was still on site and very professional. I also briefly made it to the breakfast buffet and for a property in this price class, it wasn't half bad -- there was an assortment of juices and coffee, a few bagels and kinds of bread as well as some fresh fruit and I believe hot waffle mix as well as cold cereals. Not amazing but definitely enough to get you by until lunch. The property was also fairly well located just a few miles from the freeway.

My take is that it's a fine place to stay for a night and not much more. The rack rate is a bit high for what you get and I suspect they sell a lot just by the location in a relatively high tourist area. If you're coming for a bed and a place to crash, give it a shot. However, if you want a place to spend a few hours each day, to have the kids out and to be in the room, pay a few more dollars and go up a level or pay a few less and you'll likely get about the same thing elsewhere.

• Liked — It was an easy place to reach and crash for a night
  • Disliked — The overall feel and room features
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Ted S
Let me start by thanking you for completing and review regarding your recent stay at our property. Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us. Again, thanks for taking the time and have a great day!