“Back Again”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Van Nuys CA
“Back Again”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We came back to the Best Western Plus Ventura because it's only an hour drive from home and a nice getaway from L.A. Monique was very pleasant at check-in and our room was ready and where I had requested. The room was clean and smelled fresh. Shopping and restaurants just 2-blocks north of the hotel. Makenzie's 1-block east for some great seafood and chowder, not fancy everything is served on paper plates with plastic knife, forks and spoons. Across the street is Corrales for some very good Mexican food. Order at the window and sit on outside tables, or take back to the hotel and eat in your room. Check with Alice, the night desk person, she can direct you to fancy'er restaurants like the Aloha Steakhouse on the beach or whatever your desire's are and they are all within walking distance. Ample public parking in town or down by the beach. Ventura marina and golfing just a few minutes drive from the hotel. Breakfast is very good with enough choices to satisfy just about everyone.

Room Tip: Just don't let the train bother you, it goes by pretty fast. If your not at the back of the hote...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Inn_of_Ventura, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Gary, I would like to say thank you from the entire staff for your gracious review. I will be sharing it with them.We appreciate your loyalty and the time you took to leave us your feedback. Our guest’s comments are imperative in keeping us constantly growing and striving to succeed. I am so glad you enjoyed the few suggestions of dining we offered. Spencer McKenzie’s is one of my favorites for clam chowder! We are centrally located between downtown and the beach so it makes for a close walk to shopping, dining, movies, what have you. We do find many guests do travel from the south because we are close, but just far enough to escape for a nice get away. We hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Ventura.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I recently stayed at this Best Western on a cross-country road trip. During the trip, I stayed at several Best Westerns. This one neither the best nor the worst.

The pluses:
- Convenient location; easy access off of 101 past the major traffic of LA. Walking distance to the beach and boardwalk.
- Comfortable beds and clean room
- Free breakfast and wireless internet
- Ample free parking
- Morning staff were friendly and cheerful

The downsides:
- The person who greeted me at the front desk on a Monday evening was very cranky. I tried to "kill with kindness" but couldn't get an ounce of warmth or true customer service out of her. For example, when she said it was a non-smoking room and I responded with an enthusiastic "awesome" (I hate the smell of cigarette smoke), she gave me a dirty look and continued to tell me all the places I couldn't smoke. It was as if she had a script memorized and was irritated with anyone or anything that might force her to diverge from it.
- The hotel backs up to the railroad tracks and I had a room near the back of the hotel. Trains ran during the night and were quite loud. It was a bit of a restless night.

The price was lower than other close-by Best Western options, which is what saves this hotel from a lower review. It's economical and convenient - just not exactly inviting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the railroad tracks if you want an uninterrupted night of sleep.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank tucketblu
Inn_of_Ventura, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
I deeply apologize for the less than satisfactory service you received during your stay and I have addressed the matter and am confident it will be improved. Our guests are very important to us and you need, and should always feel that. I am very gracious for your feedback and hope that if ever in our area you will give us another chance to welcome you to Ventura!
Somis, CA
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Rooms need up dating, but were clean. Close to Main street & fun shops & walking to beach, breakfast was good. Ventura is a great city with so much to do & very interesting people and shops. Walk down the street to Spencer McKenzies, Great fish & Chowder. Felt safe at hotel.

Room Tip: rooms are a little older, 1st floor is best
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Inn_of_Ventura, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
We appreciate your review and are glad you enjoyed your stay. We are in the process of remodeling all of our rooms. So we hope that you will come back again and allow us to welcome you to a better, improved Best Western Inn of Ventura!
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great price, good location, comfortable rooms, excellent continental breakfast. We stayed here as a starting point for our trip to the Channel Islands. The location is close and convenient. Rooms are clean, bedding comfortable, although bathrooms are a bit worn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for taking the time to log on to tripadvisor and leave us a message. I
look forward to sharing your review with the rest o f the staff. If you are ever in the Ventura area again, we hope that you will allow us to make you feel at home.
Smallwood
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Tho the neighborhood seemed a little bit dicey, the motel was well kept, with clean, spacious rooms & a friendly desk clerk. The room also included a refrig, which is necessary to keep my insulin cool.. All in all, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank John G
Inn_of_Ventura, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
We know how important it is to have those "lil comforts" when away from home. So we are glad that the fridge and mini microwave served your needs. I will definitely be sharing your review with our maintenance and housekeeping department, as well as front desk staff. Our guests opinion, reviews, feedback really do mean so much to us. We know people are busy now days, and taking the time to leave some words for us is always extremely appreciated. We hope to see you again in the future!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2013

After a long and frustrating day on the road, this hotel is just what I needed. Rooms were fully equipped, very modern and very comfortable. The lady at the front desk was very polite, friendly and helpful. Value was great considering I had no booking, the breakfast was very good and location was great, I enjoyed a morning walk on the beach and the later check out time was great for those wanting a sleep in after checking in later.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
I’m delighted you enjoyed your recent stay. It really is encouraging to the whole staff as well as keeps motivating us to provide superior customer service. We thank you so much for your feedback and hope to see you again on your next visit to Ventura!
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband & I stayed for 2 nights in September 2012 while visiting the Channel Islands. Room was large, updated and very clean. We were in a room at the back of the complex but were not bothered by train or highway noise. Location was close to beach and shops (but I wouldn't walk around here at night!) Breakfast offerings were plentiful and regularly refreshed.
Great value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Inn_of_Ventura, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
The train doesn’t bother most of our guests. So it’s comforting I’m sure for those who haven’t stayed with us to read a review like yours. From the whole team here at Best Western Plus inn of Ventura we thank you for your words and the time you took to send us a review. Hope to see ya next time!