“Best (only) Starwood hotel near Santa Barbara”

Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

OK, I admit it...I like my hotel points. Any of us that travel frequently do. And if you are loyal to Starwood hotels, this is the only choice in the Ventura / Santa Barbara area. Having said that, this hotel is a pleasant surprise. It is an older property that was converted to a Four Points and as such it has a nice 1960s charm to the building. They have all the reliable comforts and amenities you would expect at a Four Points, but with the bonus of vintage architecture and a beautiful view of the Ventura harbor. The front desk staff was homey and helpful and honestly, this is a nice value for what you get. Plus - starwood points !

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank roadwarriorla
James B, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2014

Dear Roadwarriorla, Thank you for your comments. We are happy you like our location and everything we have to offer.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,
James B
Director of Sales

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel earlier this week and about 3 years ago. This hotel looks like it hasn't been remodeled since the '70s. When I stayed there 3 year ago, I had an issue with the heat in my room. And this week I woke up with no electricity in my room. The electricity for each room is controlled by the room key. You must insert your room key into a slot in the room to power the electricity for the room. It worked fine before I went to bed, but I woke up with no electricity. It took several attempts of reinserting both room keys for about 30 minutes until I finally got one of them to work. I was supposed to stay another night, but I checked out that morning and booked a room at the Crown Plaza (which was just slightly better - see separate review).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Jim M,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am so sorry you were here during a city power outage. It did last about 1 1/2 hours. We do have an energy saving system that requires a key in the wall outlet. It allows larger appliances to power down when not in use. Please call the Front Desk when you believe something in your room is not functioning so it may be repaired. We are always trying to upgrade our property and do appreciate reviews from our guests. Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The location is very convenient if you plan on taking the ferry to visit the Channel Islands. The hotel itself is okay. Our room was spacious and relatively clean, and the beds were comfortable. Nice view of the harbor from the balcony. We were given a room closest to the road which was a little noisy. I think our heater may have been broken because it kept going on and off every couple minutes throughout the night, so I finally just turned it off. There was also a strange tapping noise in the wall that we never figured out. The hotel offers complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning. There is a Von's grocery store not far down the road, in case you want to pick up breakfast or snacks to take out to the Channel Islands with you.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear hipdl,
Thank you for the review of your recent stay at our property and of area amenities. We are sorry you had difficulty with your heater. We are in the process of upgrading all heating units. I hope someday you will visit us again and will have a comfortable, stress free stay.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This past weekend, we stayed at the Four Points Sheraton in Ventura. The room was quite spacious, the front desk very adept and helpful, and everything was clean and fresh. We had a lovely view of the harbor. We were disappointed in not having a microwave in the room, although there was a mini-fridge. While having drinks in the lounge area at night, we were very disappointed in a lack of snacks, no nuts, pretzels, etc. and nothing "small" on the menu, only larger appetizers from the restaurant such as pizza. We had to go to the vending machine to get some peanuts. The price range was good and ample parking. No serious complaints, and we would stay there again, although I think I would shop around a little more next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view with the veranda, it's a great way to watch the sunset and enjoy a little...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear JoAnn S,
Thank you for your review and comments about your stay at our property. We will discuss your suggestions with our restaurant. I am happy you were comfortable while you were here. On Wednesdays, we have a Manager's Reception from 5-6:30PM, that highlights our 'Best Brew and Barbeque" for our guests. I am sorry you missed it. I hope you will visit us again.
Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager,Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We were heading back towards LAX and needed 2 nights near coast and outlets. The hotel had computer issues on arrival but they provided us access to pool and facilities in advance of normal check in. They also allowed us a late check out of 2pm which was useful. The hotel seems to have been refurbed and was clean, large room and balcony over marina, great shower and excellent pool. Not keen that the bathroom window had shutters to the outside corridor which could not be shut, and walls did seem thin! Could hear a lot of activity from next room. However, perfectly good stay and very easy drive to Camarillo outlets and food nearby.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed for one night as part of a trip from San Francisco to Los angeles. The hotel was relatively easy to find and check in was quick and painless. It is located on Ventura Harbor, so its a short distance from downtown Ventura but I found the harbor setting to be far more pleasant.

Our room was a king bed room with a sofa-bed. The balcony was furnished and overlooked the harbour. I thought the room was clean, modern and large and the decor seemed to complement the location. There was a widescreen TV, fridge and modern amentities. The bathroom was also clean and modern in decor.

The hotel has outside corridors but they are covered and carpeted and I had no issue with noise or security. I'm not sure if there is any relationship with the Holiday Inn express across the road but there is a covered overhead walkway linking the two and both hotels appear to be of the same design

The pool area is located in a secluded landscaped garden and is an extremely pleasant place to spend a few hours.

We didnt use the restaurant but had we been staying for longer we probably would have. Instead, we opted to try a restaurant at the adjacent Ventura harbor complex which had a number of decent options, although on the whole it looked like it would benefit from a general spring clean and some TLC (Obviously this is no reflection on the hotel). The hotel did offer breakfast, but curiously for a US hotel of this size there was no buffet offering. I'm not sure if one is ever offered but I saw no mention on the menu.

My only real compaint (and its a common one!)....self parking is $10 per night. There is no reason for this other than to boost ancillary revenue and it feels like a bit of a cheap shot. We stayed at 6 different hotels from Napa Valley thru Monterey, down the PCH and on to LA and this was the only hotel we had to pay to park at. Ironically you can park for free over the road if you can be bothered.

Overall though this is a nice hotel. Rooms are clean and modern with nice views from the balconies. The service and amenities were good and (silly parking charge aside) I would certainly consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for a better view of the harbor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Quagm1re

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were looking for a place in Santa Barbara, but very pricey. Opted instead for a couple of nights at the Four Points Sheraton in Ventura (25 minute drive to SB) and stayed an extra day, it was so perfect. Very clean and well furnished lobby, restaurant and rooms. Great pool and hot tub. So relaxing. Rented bikes - short ride to the beach. Had a couple of good meals in local restaurants. Such a great value - definitely recommend it and would stay there again.

Room Tip: I believe they all face the harbor. Higher would be better, to see over a couple of trees. Althoug...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family