“Do Not Stay Here Unless you want to be treated as a second class citizen.”

Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I booked a suite at the four points Ventura last weekend for two nights. When I checked in I was told my room had a water leak and I wouldn't be able to use the room until the next day. I come back next day to check in and they say the room is not available as the people in the room just checked out. So they went and rent the room right out from under me and gave me a crappy two rooms so they could make extra money. Not getting the room cost me a bunch of money in lost food I had bought to use in the suites kitchen. I sent an email to the corporate office and they just forwarded it to the manager who lied to me when I check me in. My response letter I got from John Schildge was a generic message not responding to his lying to me or caring about the inconvinous he put me and my family through. Also internet connection was so bad I couldn't read my email. Do Choose this hotel if you want to relax. Holiday Inn next door is a much better choose.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jojo32655
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear jojo32655,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our property. I apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced. We have talked to staff. It is true that someone was in the other suite, and had already checked in when you arrived. The suite you were booked into did have an unforeseen problem and we did accomadate you with the best that was still available.We moved you into the suite the next day. My manager credited your account with points because of the change in room. Please feel free to let me know if you stay with us again. We always try to give our guests the very best. I hope you have many pleasant and comfortable adventures. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stay in this hotel often. Always friendly staff and service when I want or need it, to help with my getting up to the room or getting back to my car. I am a senior and I do feel safe at this hotel, and I do enjoy the Harbor rooms when possible. The staff always make me feel at home and are very pleasant and helpful The beds and covers in this hotel are excellent, I always sleep well and so very comfortable.

Room Tip: I did not use the spa nor have breakfast in my room. I have used the spa before and it has always b...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear anadean22 ,
Thank you reviewing your stay at Four Points. I am so happy you feel safe and comfortable and that we can help you enjoy yourself. You have brought a smile to our faces. Each guest that stays with us is like family and we want our family to have the most relaxing comfortable stay we can provide. I hope you have many wonderful travels. Happy New Year. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed here just one night on a business trip along highway 1. The room was very clean and the staff was very friendly. I don't really understand why there is a $10.00 parking charge, but the the free WI-FI made up for it.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
James B, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2014

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night for a business party. I accidentally selected the wrong date making an on-line reservation which they fixed without hassle. I had a ton of things to bring up to the room with no one to help, so I asked them if I could just use their trolley. My room was nice and had a view of the harbor. There was a smell when I arrived and was not sure what it was. Maybe the agricultural fields across the street? I chose this location because it was close to the harbor which you still need to drive to if you aren't wearing sneakers. The $10 parking was silly, but the free water, coffee and wi-fi was nice.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear MsLydia,
Thank you for your review of our property. I was so pleased that you appreciated our staff and our location. We will tell our staff. Have a wonderful New Year and Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have stayed at this property many times over the last 20 years. The rooms and property is well maintained. Excellent lounge for an evening visit, great food in the restuarent and always enjoy room service for breakfast. This visit had a problem with a loud "party" in the room below us. Unfortunately it took hotel security until 2:30am to get it stopped. They didn't charge us for the night but the lack of sleep was still a problem. We will go back again and are hopeful management has improved the securiy response time.

Room Tip: All rooms have been good for us. Suggest if you have a noise problem, call immediately.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear billkathy88,
Thank you for writing a review and letting us know how your stay was at our property. I am so sorry you did not have a restful night. I have discussed this with staff and pleased you were compensated in some way. We will always try to do better and want our guests to have the best possible stay. I hope you have many happy adventures and many calm restful nights. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort

Reviewed November 26, 2012

What a difference a year makes!

As mentioned in my previous review, Four Points is situated in an inconvenient location. It's located away from all the sights and restaurants in the downtown area, and it's not remotely close to any real point of interests for tourists. However, as we've had great experiences with the staff in the past, we didn't mind going out of our way to stay there.

Unfortunately, this time, our experience was completely different from our previous stays. It was as if we were at a completely different hotel! This time, we found the staff at the front desk to be indifferent and rude. During my previous stays, I'd always emailed special requests to the hotel, which was promptly acknowledged and fulfilled. However, this time, not only did I receive no confirmation from the hotel, but upon arrival, we were simply told that he hotel was sold out and that they could not acquiesce any special requests.

Of course, I understand that special requests are fulfilled depending on availability; however, what was disappointing and even appalling was the attitude of the receptionist and how she handled ... or refused to handle the matter. Then, when we asked to speak to a manager, the attitude of the manager wasn't any better, as without so much as a greeting, he merely asked, "What do you need?". On the contrast to what we were told initially about the hotel being sold out, the manager did find us a room on higher floor. However, it became apparent to us that the culture of the organization has changed completely, and this was no longer the hotel we'd enjoyed during our previous visits.

I understand that Four Points like MANY other hotels at this price point are designed to provide no-frills type of accommodations; however, in the sea of mid-priced hotels, the only thing that differentiate one establishment from the other is the quality of service they provide. Needless to say, there's no reason for us to return to this property, as there are plenty of hotels in Ventura with better location and friendlier staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank gl0betrotter

Dear gl0betrotter,
Thank you for reviewing your stay at our property. I agree with you that service makes all the difference wherever we go. I am sorry that your stay with us was not what you anticipated. When we are sold out it could mean that even the day before was sold out and we have a limited number of available rooms. I was pleased that you were given a preferred room but unhappy not to have known your preferences. We are very diligent in adding preferences to reservations and check them multiple times during the day of arrival. We somehow failed you for your last stay with us. Please accept our apologies. As the gateway to Channel Islands National Park, proximity to Harbor Village and a five minute drive to downtown, I was surprised you did not find any area to visit and enjoy during your stays with us. If you do stay with us again. please request your email be forwarded to me or the Front Desk Manager. Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Forur Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great location, remarkably warm and caring front desk staff, beautiful grounds, solid value for the money.
Ranks an enthusiastic and unqualified "I would very happily stay here again."
But first, the downside: The thing that keeps this from 5-star status is the building design itself. This hotel was constructed in a sprawling, low motel-style ... outside entryways, and only three stories tall. That first point is unfortunate, since outdoor hallways always detract from the elegance of a hotel. The low level is a lost opportunity for the Sheraton; this location near the harbor could create incredible room views if the building were a 6- or 12-story tower. As it is, though, even the rooms with the best views are so low that you'll see more parking lot than waterfront.
Given those constraints, the Four Points management has done everything possible to make this property work exceptionally well. The hotel bills itself as a resort, and the landscaping definitely gives that effect: A lovely manmade stream runs through the grounds, which feature pleasant hills, a fountain, a small bridge, a beautifully designed pool - and an enclosed hot tub. This isn't a large property, but the architects made use of every inch: Take just a few steps out of the hotel itself and you'll feel pleasantly secluded along the walking paths.
Maintenance here is superb; another win for this management team. In an era when so many chain hotels are showing the signs of cost-cutting and deferred upkeep, this property is still immaculate and fresh. The groundskeepering effort alone is top-notch, and the interior housekeeping staff does an excellent job, too.
Rooms are spacious with modern decor, and the lobby is attractive. What really stands out from start to finish is the staff: Rae Ann and Sheryl at the front desk went out of their way to make our stay outstanding, and I got the same sort of feeling from the rest of the employees: This is an operation that genuinely practices customer service.
A few odds and ends: Free wi-fi and only a relatively modest $10 parking fee. Also, very generous operating hours for its pool and hot tub.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DonInConnecticut

Dear DonInConnecticut,
Thank you so much for such a detailed review. I agree that it would be nice to have higher floors as they ocean would be a beautiful sight from up high. We were designed with The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation which created a space to blend with the natural landscape and be a part of nature. Sometimes that is misunderstood and then compared to other open properties. I am happy you enjoyed the landscape and the area. Happy Traveling, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort