“Old and Tired Hotel Overlooking Ventura, CA Harbor” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor

Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
MUGS62
“Old and Tired Hotel Overlooking Ventura, CA Harbor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

Unfortunately, this hotel is in great need of rennovation. The rooms are dated, furniture is old and worn. During recent stay, the room freshener was so strong, that I had to open sliding door to get some "fresh air". It was a cool day and too cold to have door open so I tried to turn on the heater -- oops, no heat! This could be a nice hotel as it is located on the beautiful Ventura Harbor....BUT, I'm actually sorry I didn't book my stay at the local Motel 6 -- I'm sure the accommodations would have been better!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MUGS62
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Mugs62, We are sorry you had an uncomfortable stay at our property and will discuss your review with our staff. We try to respond to issues in the rooms promptly. We did a complete renovation of our property in late 2008, and continue to improve our amenities. Thank you for taking the time to review us. It will help our staff. If in the future, you stay with us, please let me know. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

As the Host of "Sell This House Extreme" on A&E, I stay in different hotels every month around the country. My standards are high but reasonable and since I've traveled the world and have experienced the Best and the Worst of hospitality, I say it pretty much as it is.

The Four Points By Sheraton in Ventura is deemed a Starwood Property. If it wasn't a Starwood Property I would be much more easy going about this review but with the "Starwood" name, comes a certain image that people like myself (a Starwood Preferred Guest!) expect!
This however is not one of those properties.

And it's located in the middle of nowhere!

THE ROOMS:
*walking up to the room you get sort of a Hotel/Motel feel. The doors to the room are outside for the most part and the hall ways and overall decor is less than fancy which gave me visions of staying at a Motel!
*Entering the room the decor is plain but ok, beds are pretty good and the bedding is nice.
* the room service menu is quite UNHEALTHY. Last night I was so tired and didnt want to go into town so I
passed on dinner altogether.
*nice TV's
*Free Internet which is a breath of fresh air!
*I was in room 325 which has an ok view of a less than glamorous marina.
*bath tubs are small and shallow but the shower head is nice. I live baths but not in these tubs.
*I almost fell yesterday while getting out of the shower because the ceramic tiles in the bathroom are VERY slippery when they get wet. Not safe for kids!!
*the bathrooms are set up well, enough counter space to put your toiletries and the vanity is seperate from the shower area which I like.

THE HOTEL other than the rooms:

It's not located in the nicest area and in the middle of nowhere. You have to drive to get to any nice places to eat and shop. It's kind of a depressing area and the hotel gives off a bit of a depressing vibe.
It looks and smells like a home for the elderly when you first walk through the doors. Decor is depressing and smells like they used too many chemicals keep the lobby clean. There is a little bar to the right that has no redeeming qualities except for that in the mornings they offer free coffee which I REALLY appreciate!

OVERALL:

It's just OK.....nothing horrible, nothing great! Flat across the board "OK but bordering on depressing."

I would not stay more than 2 nights and only for work purposes......and even then there are better choices.

I think Starwood should reconsider which hotels live up to their name.
I expected a "STARWOOD PROPERTY "
when I walked in. Because its only for work.....I was too tired to look for a better hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TANYAMEMME
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear Tanyamemme, Thank you for your review of our property. We were very sorry to hear you had a less than pleasant stay with us. We value our Starwood Guests and offer a welcoming guest amenity and free shuttle service to dinner. I will discuss all your review with staff. Thank you for being so forthright in your comments. We are a Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation design that gives our property a more open air design, indoor/outdoor atmosphere. Our property is near the Ventura Harbor so that it does appear to be further from the center of town than it is. It is unfortunate you weren't able to experience the Ventura Harbor Village with its shops and restaurants, just around the corner from us. There is also the boat landing that takes guests to the Channel Islands. We try to share all the benefits of the area with our guests. Please contact me if you stay with us again. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
Murrieta, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

This hotel has lovely grounds and great staff. Check in was easy and simple and the parking is nearby. They only charge $10 for parking and have in & out privileges which is cheaper than some other hotels of the same rating. Plus they have FREE wi-fi which is really great. We have found that many of the upscale hotels charge for wifi.

The room was very clean and the bed was so comfortable! Quiet and seemed newly remodeled.

Our only "complaint" was that we arrived on a Friday night and the entire lobby smelled strongly of fish - to the point we didn't want to eat in the restaurant figuring that was the source of the strong smell. It was still quite evident the next morning although we did eat breakfast in the restaurant. That would be the only thing the hotel needs to work on. Fruit was served with my eggs and the plate was very hot - hence the fruit slices were warm. The pineapple had the appearance it had been sitting out overnight and the cantaloupe tasted like celery - perhaps they were stored together and not covered? You have to like VERY strong coffee too!

We would stay again - and recommend!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Malcolmsmom, Thank you for your review. It always helps us when we have a guest tell us about their stay with us. I am so happy to hear you would stay with us again. We will certainly discuss your comments with our staff. Anything we can do to make you more comfortable will always be our goal. Best Regards, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a good ten times, and kind of just thought--well you know it's asheraton, there's quality in it, plus it's at the beach (gorgeous, and fun btw). THEN I just recently stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki...not happy, not the same experience, not the same quality. The staff in Waikiki can NOT hold a torch to the group at this Four Points in Ventura. Not only do the managers remember my name, the front desk is so sweet they, with all corniness aside, treat me like family. Moreover, the restaurant manager knew I was visiting family/ had been driving hours, she bought me dinner-- no joke SWEETEST woman! If you like being treated well, being in a clean and welcoming environment, you really should stay here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Dear Aloha055,
Thank you for your review. Our staff made you feel welcome and comfortable. We all work together to make our property the best possible destination. When someone says we acheived that goal, it makes us all very happy. We can join you in smiling! Please stop by to say hello on your next visit. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

Spent weekend for Channel Island daytrip. Hotel is right across, and connected by a pedestrian bridge with Holiday Inn. About a mile (with nice walk/bike/run path via harbor) from harbor village. Lobby staff friendly, checkin in speedy. Room on 3rd floor. 2 rooms from elevator - no problem because we left the heater on "heat low" all night. The room has the oldfashioned heater box and control next to the sliding glass door. Beds were very comfy. Had a refrigerator in the room - handy to have milk for our little one. Nice big screen tv. desk area. full length mirror. Bathroom with separate sink area so that one can use the shower/bath/toilet while other uses sink. Nice full size closet with 10 hangers. Our room had a balcony overlooking the parking lot, and then the harbor and Holiday Inn. Nothing fancy, but nice and comfortable at a reasonable price. Too bad that parking is charged separately rather than bundled in to the price. I don't like to be “nickle and dimed”. Breakfast hotel is ok, same level as Denny’s but pricier. Smell in the city - agriculural and oil drilling along with low tide - not the best smell combination.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear KP3,
Thank you for your review. Each area you reviewed, helps us in our planning toward being the best local destination. We are and will continue to upgrade our property. We did begin to charge for parking this year as an addtion to Guest Services. Please come and stay again and stop by and share any suggestions you may have. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

Great harbor location, room was spacious, bed was comfy and bathroom was clean and updated (LCD flatscreen TV, small fridge for your own food/drinks). All rooms have a large enclosed balcony (high concrete walls), perfect for our dog to run around in. Room had great view of harbor and very close to shops and restaurants in Village Harbor. Lobby was updated but hallways and other common area was dated. Staff was helpful and friendly. Lots of parking. Would come back again.

Only complaint was the fan in the room, when we turned it on, room smelled like human urine! No problem when using AC, think maybe homeless person peed next to the fan intake outside. Very odd.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear Luvtosafari,
Thank you for staying with us at Four Points and for writing a review. We appreciate knowing what you liked about our property. We are pet friendly. Most of us are pet owners and enjoy meeting our "pet " guests. I have talked to Staff about your evaluations to make us a better place to stay. It was very helpful to see through your eyes. We apologize about the fan. Come to see us again and don't forget to stop by and say hello. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

This hotel is located just off the beach in Ventura, CA. It is also across the street from major agricultural farming -- read that smelly fertilizer and pesticides. I have stayed at this hotel twice for convention events and both times the odor that assails you when you come into the lobby is like dead fish. It is also in the hallways and can be smelled in the rooms. For this reason alone, anyone with allergies or sensitive nose should stay at another location. If it weren't for the need to be at the hotel where the conference is held every year, I would do just that myself.

I should note that I have been there in April and November. I can't speak to the air quality or odor issue at other times of the year as it depends on when they are preparing the fields and when they are spraying. However, I do believe that the hotel personnel would be honest about that if you asked before you booked, especially if you have allergies.

Second annoyance is that they charge their paying guests $12.00 per day to park their car! There is no other place you can park a car in the area, so they've got you. This is a real irritation to me about hotels these days.

That being said, the room that I stayed in was spacious, well appointed, and comfortable. The bed, pillows, and linens were very nice. They give you several different styles of pillows on each bed. Bathroom and closet area is very spacious. Flat screen TV. Free WiFi, and there are computers for guests in the main lobby. Nice view, varied from room to room, with individual patio/balconies.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the food in the restaurant is very good (we had buffet lunch daily, and the Sunday brunch). The grounds are lovely, with a very pleasant lawn and garden area with water cascade and stream running through. There are also tennis courts, spa, weight room, bicycles to peddle to the beach, and beautiful outdoor heated pool.

There are a number of restaurants near by and Main Street in renovated Old Ventura is only 15 minutes away, as is a very large mall with a Trader Joe's.

If it weren't for the odor/air quality problem and the parking fee, I would give this hotel four stars.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank HereAndNowAlways
VDollar, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, January 22, 2012
Thank you for your review of our property. We do have agriculture adjacent to our location. We are part of the Ventura Harbor area that includes beaches, restaurants, shopping and residential properties.
It is unfortunate that in two visits you experienced unsatisfactory conditions. Thank you for the comments you made. We always appreciate evaluation. I hope you will try a stay with us again.

Catherine Stevens