“Comfortable room, but...”

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Los Angeles, California
“Comfortable room, but...”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This hotel is located just off the beach in Ventura, CA. It is also across the street from major agricultural farming -- read that smelly fertilizer and pesticides. I have stayed at this hotel twice for convention events and both times the odor that assails you when you come into the lobby is like dead fish. It is also in the hallways and can be smelled in the rooms. For this reason alone, anyone with allergies or sensitive nose should stay at another location. If it weren't for the need to be at the hotel where the conference is held every year, I would do just that myself.

I should note that I have been there in April and November. I can't speak to the air quality or odor issue at other times of the year as it depends on when they are preparing the fields and when they are spraying. However, I do believe that the hotel personnel would be honest about that if you asked before you booked, especially if you have allergies.

Second annoyance is that they charge their paying guests $12.00 per day to park their car! There is no other place you can park a car in the area, so they've got you. This is a real irritation to me about hotels these days.

That being said, the room that I stayed in was spacious, well appointed, and comfortable. The bed, pillows, and linens were very nice. They give you several different styles of pillows on each bed. Bathroom and closet area is very spacious. Flat screen TV. Free WiFi, and there are computers for guests in the main lobby. Nice view, varied from room to room, with individual patio/balconies.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, and the food in the restaurant is very good (we had buffet lunch daily, and the Sunday brunch). The grounds are lovely, with a very pleasant lawn and garden area with water cascade and stream running through. There are also tennis courts, spa, weight room, bicycles to peddle to the beach, and beautiful outdoor heated pool.

There are a number of restaurants near by and Main Street in renovated Old Ventura is only 15 minutes away, as is a very large mall with a Trader Joe's.

If it weren't for the odor/air quality problem and the parking fee, I would give this hotel four stars.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank HereAndNowAlways
VDollar, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, January 22, 2012
Thank you for your review of our property. We do have agriculture adjacent to our location. We are part of the Ventura Harbor area that includes beaches, restaurants, shopping and residential properties.
It is unfortunate that in two visits you experienced unsatisfactory conditions. Thank you for the comments you made. We always appreciate evaluation. I hope you will try a stay with us again.

Catherine Stevens
Guest Services Manager
Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Mistakes happen, right? But rarely ones so obvious or, well, gross.

I arrived very late in the evening and the night staff was exceptional. I went to sleep without going into the bathroom, since the sink is located outside. But when I woke up to shower the next morning, there were false eyelashes on the wall of the shower, with a mascara trail running down the wall. When I went to make coffee, the paper cup had yellow stains in it (I can only guess what they were--clearly the cups had been "recycled"). Makes you wonder what else they may have not cleaned, right?

I spoke to the housing supervisor and then to the front desk, who told me there was "nothing" she could do. When I asked for a manager, I was handed a card of someone who "would be back on Monday."

I wound up calling the Starwoods Preferred Guest membership number and was told that refunds had to come from the property, so I had to write to the hotel manager. Eventually half of the points I used to book got refunded, after a lot of time spent on my part.

I've never been at a Starwoods property that didn't have a manager on-site or one where I was told there was "nothing" that could be done. Housekeeping mistakes are one thing, but complete lack of service? I won't be back, and no one I know will, either.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank TVC1515
Thank you for your review of your stay with us. All comments help us to evaluate our actions and standards. I apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor Resort.. Comfort and quality of cleanliness are a priority all Guests expect. We have reviewed your stay with our staff. Should you stay with us in the future, please contact me personally. Sincerely, Catherine Stevens Guest Services Manager (805) 658-1212

Travelers are raving about these Ventura hotels

Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed in this hotel while attending a wedding in the hotel. What a nice venue for a wedding. Food and service was excellent. Their sunday brunch seafood buffet was also excellent. The hotel is nice and clean. The staff is friendly. The heated pool, jacuzzi and tennis court make it an nice place for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Catherine S, Public Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear Cioub,'
Thank you for reviewing a great stay with us. Our Staff wants each guest to feel they are special and are pleased when someone has a good experience. We know what it is like to travel for a Wedding or conference. It is so nice when we can enjoy our distination. Please visit us again and say hello. Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
Gulf Beaches, Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My wife and stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. Entite staff (esp McKenzie and front desk staff) and Manager Victor where very accomadating. Granted early check -in, late check out and flexible dates due to ever changing travel circumstances. Room was spacious and view of the Harbour was nice. Large flat screen TV. Large bathroom. Rooms have a mini fridge and coffee maker as well. Fitness center was more than sufficient. The internet is wireless and free. No charge for on-site washer and dryer. The grounds are well kept. The hallways are all exterior. Free coffee every morning in the lobby also but they do hit you with a $10 a nite parking fee. I did see pets in the non-smoking rooms so becareful if you have allergies. Safe travels!

Room Tip: Third floor for sure. We moved to the top floor much quieter and better view of Harbor. We had room...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Toad727
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear Toad 143,
Thank you from McKenzie and for your excellent review. So happy you enjoyed your stay. Your comments were very helpful. Come and see us again. Happy Travels, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 2, 2012

If you are just traveling for a quick one night stay, this place is perfect. The room is very clean and the staff here are very personable. Don't expect anything luxurious. You access the rooms for the outside like a motel and need a room key to keep the light on like you would would on some international stays. A bit confusing trying get around the hotel. Got lost a few times. All in all it was a fair value (price) for what you get.

Room Tip: I would choose a room on the bottom floor near the parking lot next time so that I would not get los...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear peter_vpnet, Thank you for your review of Four Points. We are sorry that our site was a bit confusing. Our property was built to emulate Frank Lloyd Wright, to be a part of nature. We need to have the designs and signature display nearer to our Lobby so we can explain and show our Guests. I am glad we made you comfortable. Please visit us again, Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager.
Pasadena
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I was in Ventura to attend a Memorial Day ceremony at the nearby cemetery and decided to spend the night. As others have mentioned, this Sheraton is in desperate need of updating. Room was clean, but nothing special, and the bed wasn't very comfortable. The patio was miniscule with no privacy and the chairs were dirty so I couldn't use them. Receptionist was pleasant. It's conveniently located, but there are other, better choices in the area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
James B, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, October 16, 2014
UK
Reviewed December 12, 2011

My wife and I drove down the coast after visiting Monterey Car Week and stopped off in Ventura on our way to Carlsbad.

Very nice room, restaurant food was first class as were the staff.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The local Ventura area and beaches are very nice.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple