“Never again!”

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
Oxnard, California
“Never again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed 1 night with my boyfriend much to my surprise this hotel is very run down. Some of the things that were lacking are as follows. Curtains torn, no glasses to drink out of only paper cups. limited towels. beds were ok. dirty chair, didn't even want to put my stuff on it. the tile floors in the bathrooms are very slippery and dirty. Burn marks on the bathtub. no bath tub plug, we had to use a plastic bag so I could take a bath. trash cans had no liners in them. This place need a major make over. We stayed in room 206 the cost was 104.00 waist of money.. will never stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank oneglass F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed at La Quinta Ventura - 3 rooms for 1 night, 2 for a 2nd while our daughter did an 11 mile open water swim from Anacapa island to shore. I generally enjoy La Quinta as good value for money but our Ipad was stolen during this stay so so this was a bad experience.My wife reported it to the hotel manager who reported it to head office security and said not to worry, we would be compensated for the loss. La Quinta head office security insisted it must be her fault because the card activation detector did not detect any entry and no compensation would be provided. She insists she closed the door properly as she always does. Be careful with your valuables since there are no safes in the rooms and I believe people can open doors without tripping the card entry detector since there were no anti-theft plates on the door jambs. Dissappointed!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ian M
Oxnard, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at many La Quintas before and they're usually nice, but when I stayed at this La Quinta for two nights while waiting to move on to my apartment I was not impressed. The staff was friendly and helpful but I found the room to be disappointing. While the bed was comfortable with clean sheets and no bugs, the carpet was filthy, with food crumbs and dirt and the tile areas in the bathroom not much better. The ac unit/ heater did not work so the room was freezing. Overall I feel that the price is too high for what the rooms are. Definitely needs some remodeling and deep cleaning or new carpet altogether.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Kirahin6
Fresno , CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Even after reading the bad reviews about this location, my LQ brand loyalty won out, and I booked a room. Received room 323 upon check-in.
Giving the room a once over, it seemed lacking. Little things seemed missing. Usually there is a trash bucket in the bed area, one in the bathroom. This room only had one in the bathroom. The bathroom sink faucet worked, but was not attached to the sink counter top (notified front desk at checkout, was not worth asking for another room). The bathroom area was really bad overall. The tiles were grungy, looked like they hadn't been moped in months. Stains and muck. The mirror behind the coffee maker had water/coffee splashes still on the mirror. The coffee maker itself looked bad in the reservoir area. I took a tissue, wett it, and wiped out the water res area, it was yellow on the tissue. This it the first time I didn't use the in-room coffee maker at LQ. The tub/shower area looked like it hadn't been cleaned. The toilet base porcelain towards the back, was actually broken. How doest one break the back base of a toilet?
Something else stuck out, and took me awhile to figure it out. The hair dryer was missing from the wall plate. I called the front desk to notify them (I had to leave, and when I came back, it was there again)

The bed was comfy, TV worked, WiFi connected good. No problems there. Desk staff were nice.
Can't comment on other rooms, but I wont choose LQ again for Ventura. I don't ask for much, but expect more from LQ. If I wanted a Motel6 or Travelodge, I would book them.

Room Tip: Stay at another name brand hotel in Ventura
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Sept1967
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

When we drove into Ventura, we had no reservations, but stopped by the Best Western and Vagabond motels. Did not like the area nor the looks of the motels, so we went a little farther to La Quinta. Immediately liked the area. I had what I thought was a 20% discount from Capital One. Apparently, you had to call, so I did and they told me no rooms were available, even though I was right there and they had a room for us. The young man at the registration desk was so nice. He didn't know anything about the discount, but he talked to the people at Capital One. Anyway, we did not get the 20%, but he was nice enough to give us a 10% discount. The room was nice and clean. No fridge, but they would have brought one if we wanted it. Didn't try their breakfast, but I know they had waffles as well. Close to the freeway, but no noise and close to the Ventura Harbor. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaryAnn M
Leiderdorp, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

The location is close to the highway and a short drive to Ventura harbor. The staff was friendly. The rooms are nothing special and need urgent refurbishment. The carpet was extremely dirty, but the rest was OK. The pool area looks nice, but the chairs were dirty as well as the pool deck. Sigarette butts and bird poo all over. The pool was not heated, and too cold to take a dive in. The spa was ok. Breakfast was included, with cereal, waffels, bread and bagels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Central California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Needed a room for an overnighter in Ventura, and this worked for the price. Good access off the 101, fairly close to where I needed to be. Didn't have time to use the pool, or have breakfast, but the room itself was better than I expected. It was large, clean and quiet, and for being a pet-friendly hotel, the room didn't smell weird, and the carpet wasn't stained. It also had a fridge and microwave, and a flat screen TV with a fair selection of channels. My only suggestion is that the bathroom fixtures be updated. They look like the original ones from when the hotel was built, and are sorely outdated. The showerhead was annoying - if you're over 5 ft. tall, it's an awkward fit. Other than that, it was satisfactory for my needs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business