“Terrbile place to stay”

La Quinta Inn Ventura
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
“Terrbile place to stay”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had two rooms and they were both horrible. We had to ask for towels, the vent in the bathroom had all kinds of dust and spiderwebs covering in the bathroom, the light fixtures look like they have never been cleaned, two of the light fixtures didn't work in my room, the carpet was coming apart when you walk in the bathroom and I almost stepped on a pin coming from the carpet, there were stains on the chair in my room and stains on the carpet. The bottom floor ice machine was broken, you have to go the second floor to get ice and cold soda. I bought soda from the machine on the first floor and it was warm. The ice machine on the 3rd floor was broken also. There was a horrible smell coming from where the maids keep their carts. The breakfast was okay but I noticed they were running out of a lot of stuff. They didn't keep the yogurt very cold. There is no where to walk your dog. It would have been nice if they had some kind of grass but mainly you had to walk your dog in the dirt. If you are there on a Monday morning, you will hear all the big rigs and trucks filling up at the gas station next door at 4:00 and 5:00 in the morning. The bed was actually comfortable. The shower/tub spout had water coming out at the same time and the water was backing up into the shower. There was a sewer smell from the tub and the sink in the bathroom. I think if they really gave this hotel a good cleaning and updated everything, it would be a great hotel because it is close to the freeway and about 15 minutes from the beach.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The only negative about entering the room was the air conditioning was on during a cool night. Cold at 65 deg in the room. Just had to turn the heat on to bring it down. The beds were comfortable. We missed the free breakfast. Last serving at 9am.

Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Carpeting was tacky in places and the room felt like it needed a good cleaning.
Inadequate internet service - another hotel that claims to offer free wi-fi but doesn't, unless you happen to have a room very close to the router. TV service was poor - cable service failures have occurred at this hotel in the past, and there is no program guide (except the name of the network). I couldn't receive NLCS playoff games due to problems with the system.

Staff made an effort to improve the situation, and a second room near the lobby did have internet service, but the cable problem remained. The service rating was for internet and TV, the people were fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Travelers are raving about these Ventura hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 10, 2012

For more than eight years, my husband and I have been staying at La Quinta across the country. We've always counted on their cleanliness. Not so at the Ventura location. The room reeked of an odor of dog excrement covered by a perfume smell, which I could only think was meant to cover the dog odor. The room itself was in terrible condition: carpet threadbare and dirty, walls, baseboards and corners of the bathroom and sink area filthy. Flies flying around inside the room. Mold on the ceiling above the bathtub. Then there was the bathtub itself: no flow restriction on the shower, drain was plugged, leading to an almost overflowing tub at the end of my five minute shower. Drain itself was rusted out and the tub bottom was discolored. It took about 10 minutes for the tub to drain. Also the toilet was not a low-flow model, and I know for a fact that the City of Ventura has required low flow toilets for more than 20 years.

Because of the terrible odor, I was unable to sleep well. I do not live in such dirty conditions at home and I expect that the hotel in which I stay to be kept up. Also the table and chairs were nicked and dented, which I would consider a lack of care on the part of management.

I hesitate to make any further reservations at your chain of hotels due to our horrible experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Staying at this hotel for just one night (thank God), I was actually quite shocked at the poor quality of this property. The hotel is dated and clearly has not been renovated in some time. The room I was in had stained carpets, had a very musty dirty smell and the bathroom/tub area was not very clean (tub caulking was worn and dirty). I have stayed at several La Quinta hotels in the past and I have never encountered a worn out dirty property like this one. I am considering contacting La Quinta's corporate folks and asking them why they have chosen not to renovate this property. It clearly is in desperate need of a full renovation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Nampa, Idaho
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We have stayed here frequently in the last two years when we visit our son who lives in Ventura, but it is our last time.

We love LQ's beds and sleep well, but this facility has become very dingy. The elevator is dirty and has graffiti. The bathroom floors are getting grungy. The hem was coming out of the curtain and needed to be washed. The overall appearance of the hotel and grounds is very dirty.

Also on this trip, they had not finished cleaning our room leaving cleaning rags on the bathroom floor and not replenishing the towels. We had to have them send someone to unplug the toilet while we left for the evening only to come back and have dirt on the bathroom floor.

The second day everything was cleaned and we had towels, but the third day housekeeping didn't even come to our room. The night clerk was very apologetic, brought clean towels and coffee for the morning and gave us a room credit. The a.m. clerk asked me if we left out our do not disturb sign making it our fault.

Yep, that is the last time we will be staying at that LQ.

Room Tip: If you stay ask for a top floor in a quiet location.