“Happy happy hour”

Brophy Bros. Seafood Restaurant & Clam Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Brophy Bros. Seafood Restaurant & Clam Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 434 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are a casual seafood house that is located right on the dock in the Ventura & Santa Barbara Harbor. You'll find a bustling scene of fisherman, young professionals and sand-sprinkled beach-goers nearly every night of the week at these true-blue waterfront institution. Dungeness crab cocktail, oysters on the half-shell and fried shrimp round out the "small" menu offerings. Fresh fish specials, such as grilled white sea bass from local waters, mahi mahi dusted in Cajun spices and pan-blackened local yellowtail, are highlights on the "long" menu. No matter what, libations are always in order at this locals' favorite gathering place. Everyone is welcome at Brophy's, hope to see you soon.
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Monday night at the bar at Brophy Bros. Seafood Restaurant in Ventura, fit the bill! I had the peel and eat shrimp which was cooked right in front of us at the bar. They were training a new waiter so we learned how to cook the shrimp and shuck the clams and oysters. My hubby loved the baked garlic clams and enjoyed the oysters rockefeller. It was a very affordable dinner with the half off of drinks and appetizers. It's located in the Ventura Harbor and has a wonderful view. We will definitely be back.

There are newer reviews for Brophy Bros. Seafood Restaurant & Clam Bar

Reviewed December 3, 2012

This restaurant was suggested to us by a local as being a great seafood restaurant. I'm glad we took his advice. The food was great and the atmosphere was true fish house. Would eat here again.

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Would not go again. Food was fine, but nothing you would remember. Place felt a little dirty. Bathrooms were outside and downstairs.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We went during happy hour and found drink and menu items at a great price. The food was good. The clam chowder, excellent. We ordered fish and chips, and fried clams, all very tasty! We found the wait staff, and bar staff to be extremely friendly and professional. Very accommodating as well. I would return.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We visited this as part of our special night that we do each trip. Last year we were told it was noisy, and it was, but since our other choices seem to have less favorable reviews this year, we went here. We were there about 5:30 PM on a Monday night, Happy Hour was going full swing. The hostess was very friendly and seated us as requested, a bit (not that there was much of a choice) away from the main noise. Our waitress (actually had three different people, but she was the main one) was very friendly and explained about the items we had questions on.

Looking at the place, there is a bar facing the harbor that takes up 75% of the wall, with booths on the far end (a long and narrow place). We were offered outdoor dining, but decide to stay warm. Not the most esthetic place, but I guess it could be termed rustic and the dress is casual. But since we went for the food, that is what I remember the best.

We shared a bowel of Clam Chowder ($6.95) that was very good and worth the price, I think that I have had better - when I use to dive for the clams and make my own, but this was close.

The Sourdough Bread was tasty (I like bread) and the butter was fresh tasting. They kept asking us if we wanted more, but I had to turn down thirds because I would be too full (sob!) to eat the main meal.

My wife settled on the Fish and Chips ($10.25), three nice size pieces of fish that she liked and said were crispy on the outside and moist and tender without being greasy on the inside, the fries (not true English 'chips') were better than average, and she liked the Coleslaw (which she does not usually like).

I had the Sea Food Pasta ($17.95) and chose the salad and rice pilaf for sides. The salad appeared to be fresh and nicely balanced with lettuce/greens and other items and they brought the oil and vinegar containers out, the vinegar looked and tasted like real balsamic. The pasta was nicely loaded with shrimp and scallops but only tasted good, not outstanding. The rice pilaf was very ho hum.

Looking at other items coming out of the kitchen, if we go again next year I think I will get one of the solid fish dinners, they looked very appetizing.

In summary, very noisy during happy hour (from 5 to 7 PM as I recall), music was recorded 60's and 70's 'easy' rock and roll music (not the drug stuff), friendly attentive staff, good to great food. It is on the second floor and we did not see an elevator, the entrance looks like the back door but it opened on the hostess station so I guess we were in the right place.