“Noisy, friendly, good food”

Brophy Bros. Seafood Restaurant & Clam Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Brophy Bros. Seafood Restaurant & Clam Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 434 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are a casual seafood house that is located right on the dock in the Ventura & Santa Barbara Harbor. You'll find a bustling scene of fisherman, young professionals and sand-sprinkled beach-goers nearly every night of the week at these true-blue waterfront institution. Dungeness crab cocktail, oysters on the half-shell and fried shrimp round out the "small" menu offerings. Fresh fish specials, such as grilled white sea bass from local waters, mahi mahi dusted in Cajun spices and pan-blackened local yellowtail, are highlights on the "long" menu. No matter what, libations are always in order at this locals' favorite gathering place. Everyone is welcome at Brophy's, hope to see you soon.
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We visited this as part of our special night that we do each trip. Last year we were told it was noisy, and it was, but since our other choices seem to have less favorable reviews this year, we went here. We were there about 5:30 PM on a Monday night, Happy Hour was going full swing. The hostess was very friendly and seated us as requested, a bit (not that there was much of a choice) away from the main noise. Our waitress (actually had three different people, but she was the main one) was very friendly and explained about the items we had questions on.

Looking at the place, there is a bar facing the harbor that takes up 75% of the wall, with booths on the far end (a long and narrow place). We were offered outdoor dining, but decide to stay warm. Not the most esthetic place, but I guess it could be termed rustic and the dress is casual. But since we went for the food, that is what I remember the best.

We shared a bowel of Clam Chowder ($6.95) that was very good and worth the price, I think that I have had better - when I use to dive for the clams and make my own, but this was close.

The Sourdough Bread was tasty (I like bread) and the butter was fresh tasting. They kept asking us if we wanted more, but I had to turn down thirds because I would be too full (sob!) to eat the main meal.

My wife settled on the Fish and Chips ($10.25), three nice size pieces of fish that she liked and said were crispy on the outside and moist and tender without being greasy on the inside, the fries (not true English 'chips') were better than average, and she liked the Coleslaw (which she does not usually like).

I had the Sea Food Pasta ($17.95) and chose the salad and rice pilaf for sides. The salad appeared to be fresh and nicely balanced with lettuce/greens and other items and they brought the oil and vinegar containers out, the vinegar looked and tasted like real balsamic. The pasta was nicely loaded with shrimp and scallops but only tasted good, not outstanding. The rice pilaf was very ho hum.

Looking at other items coming out of the kitchen, if we go again next year I think I will get one of the solid fish dinners, they looked very appetizing.

In summary, very noisy during happy hour (from 5 to 7 PM as I recall), music was recorded 60's and 70's 'easy' rock and roll music (not the drug stuff), friendly attentive staff, good to great food. It is on the second floor and we did not see an elevator, the entrance looks like the back door but it opened on the hostess station so I guess we were in the right place.

There are newer reviews for Brophy Bros. Seafood Restaurant & Clam Bar

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I drove to the Harbor really wanting to eat at the Greek restaurant. My friends said they wanted a better view of the Harbor so we decided to check out the menu at Brophy Bros. Restaurant. We decided to stay even though I really wanted lamb. Our server was beautiful and very sweet, I'd say she was maybe 21? The entire staff was beautiful and young and very efficient. My male companions were loving it. We started with a pot of steamed clams- excellent!! I had the salmon and it did not disappoint . Everything on my plate was delicious. I took half of it home but ended up getting up after everyone went to bed and finishing it. I wasn't even hungry but it tasted so good. Everyone loved their entire meal., I would recommend this restaurant to everyone wanting great food and the view is just a bonus for me. I'm so tired of restaurants living off their view with sub-standard food, poor service and extra high prices. Brophy Bros. has it all. I'm salivating just writing this.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is one place I can miss and not miss! If you get my meaning. Every time I have been here the food has been below par, tastes like its frozen or out of a can/box. And the managers/owners have an attitude like they are better than sliced bread. I give this a miss every time.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

In my on-going effort to determine whether it's actually possible to achieve seafood overload, I wandered down to Brophy's to see what they had to offer. It's a bit out of the way in a vast panoply of dining establishments overlooking Ventura Harbor, but worth seeking out. My companion and I shared some calamari, which I can't in good conscience recommend; rubbery and seemingly not fresh. However, I had an excellent fresh sea bass and my companion an equally fine mahi mahi. Beer and seafood, does man really need anything more? I think not!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Brophy Bros. has good seafood, nicely served at a restaurant with a wonderful harbor and Ventura Hillside view. This is the place to bring a visitor or guest to the County on a clear day.