“Pricey but good”
Review of Aloha Steakhouse

Aloha Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Aloha Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 446 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Harbor Blvd.
Transit: Amtrak stop is at Fairgrounds, approximately 1/2 mi north of Aloha Steakhouse.
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This was our splurge dinner for our week stay in Ventura, Wednesday 27 Nov about 4:30 PM and my ratings and my comments are based upon that level of expectation. Most people were over in the bar for happy hour but there were three parties having dinner and about eight I saw when we left.

Based upon other reviewers and the conversation the hostess was having on the phone I said that Kenny seemed to be very popular. Unfortunately he was not due for another 10 minutes and no, he did not do the ocean view window seats we originally asked for, but if we wanted we could get a booth facing that way and he would take over when he got in. So we took her up on that. And yes, the reviews on Kenny are right, I think that is the second time I have ever left more than a 20% tip, and I am still thinking a good tip is 10%, not the 15-20% we are forced into today.

The only thing more I will say about Kenny was he made us feel at home and made the stay very enjoyable, and was willing to change out something I was not totally pleased with (did not take him up on it) and looking around he was the only one that appeared to be doing that to his/her tables.

The decor is very nice, semi-Hawaiian and what appear to be local artist pictures up for sale if you like them, and with the fog bank blocking the setting sun, it was dim inside. Our order went smoothly, explanations were rendered willingly, I wanted balsamic and olive oil, but all they had was a balsamic vinaigrette,. When I mentioned that I got spoiled in Greece and liked to use the oil and vinegar for dipping my bread, Kenny brought out more of the vinaigrette and some ranch (I think) and said mix that and try it. Not bad for a bread dip.

I had the macadamia crusted mahi mahi ($28) with garden salad and garlic mashed potatoes, the wife had the teriyaki chicken ($21) with the clam chowder and wild rice. I noted that I did not care for the sweet sauce that the Mahi Mahi had, but it was tasty with the mashed potatoes so it worked out. The salad was very good, not the standard bagged stuff in a tiny bowel you expect anymore, but medium size plate with lots of different greens, some cherry tomatoes, other stuff and some crumbled cheese and the wife said her clam chowder was very good. The mahi mahi was different, I think it was the coconut milk it was baked in but it came out very tasty. I sampled the wife's chicken, VERY moist and succulent!

We had the birthday pie aka Hula Pie (Kenny called it a Mud Pie made the Aloha way), macadamia nut ice cream pie in a thin chocolate crust drizzled with a rich chocolate sauce and a blob of very tasty whipped cream (not cool whip!) on the side. Glad the wife was there to share! very very good - very very rich.

Can't say much about getting to the place, the beach front has degenerated since I lived there in the late 60's and mid 70's even though the city has put a lot of money into making it like a big city boardwalk tourist experience. Just do not let some of the unsavory flavor of the area detract from the inside of the Aloha. Being as it is the end of November, it was a bit cool for most of the trouble to be around so we did not see as many issues as others have reported.

In summary, park in the parking structure, walk around to the front on the north (down one level from the parking entrance) and enter into a nice experience. A bit pricy for this poor boy from the 60's and 70's who thought $10 was a top priced meal, but the food and service was well worth what we paid for. And yes, if we decide that it is to be our splurge dinner next year, we will ask for Kenny.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I ate at Aloha Steakhouse with six women. We had a terrific experience. The servers were competent and gracious and anxious to fill our orders. The food was outstanding and the portions were very satisfactory.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Another restaurant with sanitation issues. Those little flys flying around when I was trying to eat. Ugh..

2  Thank Domenick2013
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We arrived in Ventura from the East Coast tired, hungry and stressed from the LA rush hour traffice. Our hotel receptionist suggested this location since we wanted a steak. We were not disappointed. Our waiter quickly brought us a glass of wine and our salads since he knew we were hungry, and then we had the appetizer, which was tender calamari, delicately breaded and flavorful. My husband had the steak which was cooked to his liking. I had crab-stuffed roughy, and enjoyed it immensely. The bill was $79 for the two of us, which included a drink each, appetizer, salads and entrees. Not what we would spend every night for a meal, but it was the best meal we had in our week in southern California. The waiter could not have been more attentive, and parking was free in the deck next door when validated at the restaurant.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Aloha Steakhouse is on the beach. Easy parking in the adjacent structure. My wife and I eat there often and if we get a tough steak they will give you a new one, no problem.