“Dispointing and filthy”
Review of Lake Casitas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ventura
Lake Casitas
Los Angeles, California
“Dispointing and filthy”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We have an anual family camping trip that we do over Labor Day and includes around 30 people ranging in age from late 70s to 2 years old. This year we tried Lake Casitas and were overwhelmingly unimpressed and will not be back. When I made the reservation, I explained what I needed and was given 6 ajoining sites in the Grebe campground. When we first arrived, I was pretty hopeful. The grounds are nice and the lake is really pretty. However, once the campground began to fill we noticed that Grebe is also where they put "overflow" camping. By Saturday morning the campground and the entire hillside were full of campers and the one bathroom/toilet per sex was not even close to able to handle the humanity. I would echo prior comments, the bathrooms did not have lights and were beyond filthy 99% of the time. The showers are in the next campground over and you really have to drive over to get there. I like marichi music as much as the next gal, but it was played very loudly very late. Apparently there is an assumption that everyone wants to hear your music and it was really so loud that I can not imagine how anyone on those sites could hear each other speak. I did not see anything in the way of Park Ranger patrol which I thought was odd since when we stay in State campgrounds they are everywhere and in some cases a little militant about quiet hours etc.
We did get tickets to the water park for Saturday and the park was nice although it really is only able to hold the kids attention for a few hours so $12.00 per kid is sort of expensive. They were offering star gazing one nite and a movie showing another which we did not attend.
I am sure that the hook up sites probably had better bathroom facilities but my family indicated that they would rather have the pit toilets we had in Big Bear a few years ago to the 3rd world filth we saw at Casitas.
I went into this knowing Labor Day weekend is busy everywhere and ready to cut them a little slack. However, overall I was very disapointed because given the size of my crowd, I usually need a State group campground and they are not easy to come by. Reservations at Casitas were so easy and there seemed to be little competition when I made them. I was really hoping this would be a place we could come back to-NOT.

Room Tip: The hookup sites are probably better than those that take mostly tents given the self contained issu...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank tourguideshanenee

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The water park sold out. No more movie night for kids.

Park attendants are teenagers with no type of knowledge about the park or just common sense. The personnel are rude and on a power trip.

Rangers are doing minimal patrolling, which allows for rowdy people with loud music until 3 am. And stupid little dogs barking at 6am

Facilities are poorly managed. No lights some bathrooms. The toilets are disgusting with vomit, blood and human excrement. It feels worst than 3rd world country. Showers, the water pressure seems to be near to nothing.

Some camping grounds poorly maintained with holes on the ground big enough to twist your uncle.

I understand that it is camping, but you are paying $35 a night for some something and getting basically nothing. My family went to Casitas at least 4 times a year. Not, no more. We are so very sad that Lake Casitas camping is gone bad. We actually had a reservation for 4 nights and we home after the 2nd night.

8 Thank memo91355

Travelers are raving about these Ventura hotels

Burbank, California
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Have been here many times. This is one of the nicer camp grounds in Ventura. We stayed in Area B with water and electric hookup, which for this stay was nice because we made use of the water park. If you tow a dingy this a a great place because of the wine tasting in the area and also just to get around the park. Restrooms could of been a little cleaner but all in all they were ok.

Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This was our first time at this lake. We had a great spot in the G section with lots of shade and a nice view of the lake. We arrived Sunday night and I guess it must have been a busy weekend as the bathrooms were horrendous. My son could not even use the men's room as there were flies and feces on the toilet. I had to have him go into the women's room, which was littered with trash. When I called to report this, I was told they would be cleaned at 8:00 the next morning. Also, the two large trash bins were overflowing and stayed that way for the two days we were there. It's very unfortunate, because otherwise, it would have been a nice place stay.

One note: Section G is for tent camping and there is no tap water, no electrical outlets and no showers in walking distance. I've been at other camp sites that had all these amenities, so it never occured to me that we wouldn't have at least a tap. So if you'll need to wash dishes, bring in your own water and bucket.

We stopped at a restroom in the RV section on the way out and they had very nice restrooms, with actual flushing toilets (as opposed to the type that you step on a pedal and it dumps into an underground tank), as well as toilet seat covers and sinks and soap. Our restroom had no paper seat covers, no sink, no soap. Just hand sanitizer on the wall. But I guess I should be thankful they gave us toilet paper. It really made me feel like we stayed in the low budget area.

There was a previous comment about paying more and staying in a better section, but this was a site recommended to us by the person in Reservations since we were new to the lake. If not for having to hold our bladders as long as possible before enduring the nasty restrooms, we may have been able to enjoy our stay more.

5 Thank marichan4
Ventura, California
Reviewed July 22, 2011

ive been goin to casitas for 8 years and have never had a bad experience. i usually stay in "f" section but have also stayed in "e" and "b" sections. i have noticed that the negative comments come from people who stayed in the sections located more toward the back of the campground. i have driven by those and would not stay there either. pay a little more and stay in "a" through "f" and you'll have a great time

6 Thank cooter37
chatsworth CA usa
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We just got back from camping here it was a good trip. It was fun for the kids at the water park. We also rent a 3 wheeler bike that was fun riding all around the campground. Our campsite was b 4 it was little small compair to all the other b and b site is right next to the water park which was good for the kids. you should bring spary for spider and other bugs.The bathrooms were gross but the the joy of camping I would just shower my son at the waterpark showers. other wise it was a fun trip I would go back here. The first night we were there the campsite next to us they stay up till 5 in the morning with loud music it did not bug us but it bug other people. Ranger did not do anything.

2 Thank soccergirl105
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Our family visited Lake Casitas for the first time for a two-night camping trip and we loved it. We had a large, shady site. When we arrived there was no picnic table but a Ranger was able to have one delivered ASAP. We spent a full day at the Water Adventure and loved every minute of it. It was exceptionally clean and well-maintained. The lifeguards and staff were as friendly and professional as can be and it was a good crowd. The park DOES sell out and I would reccomend buying tickets in advance and if not lining up 2 hours before the park opens to get tickets. Best $12 we've spent in a long time. Camping was good, the store was well-wtocked for any last minute needs and the Marina Cafe was reasonable priced and a good selection. The chemical toilets were about what you;d expect. We didn;t find them neglected at all and the campgrounds were at capacity. We were thrilled with our first experience. The one negative thing I can say is that there is NO enforcement of any noise rules at all and that was a big negative. We were up quite late the first night with techno music blaring and another night with drunk loud mouths who enjoyed hearing their voices. This could be easily remedied if the park wanted to.

5 Thank DFamily525
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ventura
Oakridge Inn
#11 of 23 in Ventura
Ventura Beach Marriott
Ventura Beach Marriott
#5 of 23 in Ventura

Been to Lake Casitas? Share your experiences!