“Excellent location right in the harbor.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Ventura
La Habra
“Excellent location right in the harbor.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Overall, we enjoyed our stay; the staff was excellent. However, we do have some suggestions. Our harbor view that we paid extra for was blocked bya tree. Breakfast room should remain open at all times so that small groups could meet and plan their activities or have pizza dinners together. Spaces in parking lot are small and made for compacts only. The pool is located at the hotel next door and not convenient for families with small children or older adults.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank DADouty
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear DADouty,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We're very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Unfortunately our breakfast room is open for breakfast only but we do have a large outside patio, with fireplace that anyone may use as long as it's not already occupied by a funtion. We are currently in the final stages of negotiations with the city to expand our property. In the expansion we will have our our pool so our guests don't have to walk to the otherside of the property to swim.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

These are NOT suites with a separate room, though they told us it would be when we booked... they are a normal sized hotel room with one bed and a couch where the second bed usually is. We have a baby and having a separate room was key to getting him a nap. They also told us there would be a crib available in our room and there wasn't. Our family stayed at a nearby hotel for less than half the price that was just as nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hungry11977
Dear Hungry1197,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that the hotel room types were not explained properly to you. We do not have any 2 room suites in our hotel just larger rooms. Cribs are available upon request only and are not in the rooms already. I am very sorry that you were given missinformation upon booking with us. I have spoken to the front desk staff so that a situation of this nature doesn' t occur again.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you'll give us another chance in the future.
pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I booked a room for three as we had booked a Channel Island excursion and wanted a hotel that fit our price point and location criteria. I booked a room that slept four- king bed, pull out sofa, shared bathroom- better be good friends! There was an up charge for the extra person( per night) and a $10 dollar a day parking fee. The up charge for the extra person was explained to me upon booking. The parking fee was a surprise. The hotel is located right on the harbor with a large, open parking lot, so I felt this was a "gougie" kind of charge. Breakfast comes with the room. And it is exceptional. Be advised, however, if you are doing an excursion on the weekend, the breakfast room opens at 7am, not 6:30. They let us into the area at 6:30 and we were able to have cold cereal before heading off to the boat. All that said, this is a Holiday Inn and you know what you are booking. The price and location were great and they readily accommodated our need for an earlier breakfast. The staff was very helpful and the room though a bit tired, was clean. My experience was positive and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor harbor view...no noise..great view...small balcony to dry beach stuff
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank hipandhopping
Dear Hipandhopping,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am glad that you had a great time and that you enjoyed our breakfast. I am very sorry that the parking charge was not explained to you upon booking the hotel. We charge for parking because we have security that patrols our parking lot throughout the night. This review has been gone over with the reservation staff so that we make sure to tell everyone about the parking prior to the guest arriving at the hotel.

Los Alamitos, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The hotel is being renovated. I knew that going into it- I read the reviews. But I wasn't prepared to be awakened at 6 AM by a faulty alarm. It was pretty jarring!!
The carpets in the room were disgusting. Even though they looked clean, they felt very dirty. The room was OK - some little spots where there was no paint or wallpaper- I guess that is why they are renovating.
Breakfast was OK - lots of carbs. Not as good as Hampton Inn.
But they did give me a discount for having to suffer through the renovations.

• Stayed July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear DRR28,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for falling short of your expectations regarding the situation of the hotel. We are under going renovations to make your future stay more comfortable and pleasurable. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bellevue, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

They were remodeling and it was a mess. No attempt to clean away some of the debris in the hallway that we had to walk through. No apology for the mess either. Used foodtray left in the hallway.
The little courtyard was a nice idea, except it had not been cared for. All there was, were weeds.
TV in the room did not work properly.
We were charged $10 for parking and I found a additional $2.50 charge on my credit card without explanation.
The room charge was in the high range for the poorest customer service we have had in any Holiday Inn Express and we have been in quite a few. Member PC 204740405.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Christian K,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are very sorry that we were under heavy construction while you were staying here. We do charge for parking because we have security that patrols the parking lot throughout the night. As for your $2.50 charge, we looked into it and it was the charge for the large water bottle in the room. We are crediting the charge back to your account.

We do value your loyalty and hope that you'll give us another chance in the future.

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were in a King room with View of Harbor on 2nd floor, and what a view!!! Never heard other guests when the sliding glass door was closed. Bed was comfy and WiFi worked perfectly. AC worked great when we needed it. Location is perfect. Could walk to all of the harbor businesses, including restaurants, shops and ocean excursion/adventures. I think there were at least 6 restaurants in the plaza. It was worth the walk to sister Hotel (Sheraton) to use beautiful Hot Tub. The workout facility was adequate at Sheraton as well. Room had plenty of space for all of our gear (came for triathlon). Only complaints were: the coffee maker, it only made one cup at a time; and fridge had no freezer...no big deal. Linens/towel clean and loved the shampoo/conditioner. Front desk and house keeping were friendly and professional.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Swimdesertrat,

Thank you very much for your review! I will let the staff know how much you enjoyed staying with us. I know positive reinforcement always helps. We hope to see you again and thank you for stay at the Holiday Inn Express Ventura Harbor.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I booked my stay over the phone for this hotel and they neglected to inform me you have to pay for parking here. I'm not sure how they expect most of their guests to arrive, but I would think a parking space would be included in the price of the room, not an extra charge. I booked this hotel because they assured me I would have a King size bed, after I checked in and got into my room I realized my bed was small version of a queen. When I asked the front desk about this they informed there was a problem with the original room I booked but they had upgraded me to a suite. The suite was very nice and spacious, however it did not have the size bed I requested when I booked my stay. The AC unit also wasn't working when I got into my room and the temperature was in the room was around 85 degrees until maintence was able to get to the roof and reset my AC unit. Once I finally got settled into my room and got into the shower I realized my bathroom was not fully cleaned. The uses soap/shampoo/conditioner from the previous stay were still inthe bathroom.
Only 2 positives were the nice view from my room of the harbor and the size and extra space of the room they upgraded me too. Overall though I would not recommend staying here and never will again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Snu189
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear LightSleeper189,

First off I would to thank you for letting us know how your stay with us went. Needless to say I was very displeased to hear about how your stay with us went. One of the basic expectations for hotels is that your room be the one you booked and that everything be in clean and working order. We have spoken to all of the departments involved to ensure that a situation of this nature doesn't happen again. As for the parking, we have security that patrols the parking lot at night and this is the reason for the charge.

Again, please accept our sincere apologies and I hope that you will give us a second chance in the future.

Thank you.