“Boats, boats, and more boats”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
Houston, Texas
“Boats, boats, and more boats”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We came here for a family wedding in town and had a really relaxing time in the hotel. There are lots of boats in the harbor and it is really calming here. Beautiful view. Each night we opened the sliding door and bathroom window instead of using the air conditioning and woke up refreshed. The beds are very comfortable to sleep in. Rooms are very quiet except for those on the floor above. You can hear them walking in their rooms. We had a king rom. There is a lot of space here and lots of storage too.
The rooms come with a continental breakfast. For something fast, it's ok. The eggs, sausage, and bacon need some help. If you want a better breakfast, walk next door to the Four Points, which is owned by the same owner of this hotel.
The staff at this property is very nice and always saying hello to you. Made me feel at home while staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear GoSlow1981,
Thank you for a great review. I am sorry that the breakfast wasn't more pleasant but thank you for recommending Alexander's Restaurant.Our staff members love their job of meeting, and making at home, all our guests. You all come from different areas, states and countries. We learn so much from our guests. We have a lot to share here in our city and are so very happy you enjoyed your stay. Have a wonderful fall and happy traveling.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Holiday Inn Express and Suites Ventura

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I didn't quite get the same Holiday Inn feel with this property-- it's super-remodeled and smells, well, old. Bed was very uncomfortable, and a smell wafted in from outside on a nightly basis. Wifi was good, great desk service (such a friendly night desk man welcomed me with a Priority Goodie Bag!) and the restaurant next door even cut up a watermelon for me that I got from a fruit stand. All in all, not a bad stay, but the oldness of the property really showed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank wandersmuch
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear wandersmuch

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our WI-FI and desk service.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the smell and the uncomfortable bed. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have to stay here for 12 days for business ... I usually stay at a different hotel in Ventura (I come here every 8 weeks or so for the last few years) but that hotel was booked, so my client put me here.

My main complaint is noise: every night my room shakes with music from somewhere. The first couple nights I went out in the hallway: silence. Went outside to see if my upstairs neighbors were blasting from their balcony, and realized the noise was all over the harbor. Tonight when it got much worse (9:30pm on a Wednesday, I'm worried how bad it'll be on the weekend), I called the front desk and was told sorry, there's live music in the marina club nearby and they can't do a thing about it. They only have a few rooms that don't face the harbor and they're booked for the remainder of my trip.

They had nothing else to say, just nope, gotta live with it. The end. How about this Holiday Inn: Better soundproofing in the harbor-facing windows? Or for the short term, to make a an upset guest not so upset ... offer to knock a night or two off your guest's bill? A white noise machine? Free ear plugs? Something? I can't stand it when a business just shrugs its shoulders.

I'm in a kitchenette which is serviceable, except it's a half-size refrigerator (thought it was the dishwasher -- nope no dishwasher) and it's lacking many basics: No dish soap or sponge or towel, no bottle opener or can opener, no toaster, no plastic containers, no steak knives. I had to buy those myself for this 12 day trip.

The TV is bolted to the top of a dresser about 12 feet from the bed and 20 feet from the couch. No Showtime or AMC or Bravo, but they do have HBO. If you're a fan of Mad Men or Nurse Jackie or Dexter, bring a laptop/tablet. They do have excellent free wi-fi.

The housekeeping and engineering staff have been wonderful and welcoming. The front desk people on the other hand seem pretty disconnected, robotic-like. They informed me that there was a $10/day fee for parking without batting an eye. (what the heck ... it's not like there's any public transportation out here. And the parking lot is HUGE, 2/3 empty).

Is there a pool? "In the Sheraton next door, it's our sister property." Is there a workout room? "In the Sheraton." Is there a restaurant? "In the Sheraton." How about breakfast? "Oh yes we do serve a complimentary breakfast." I checked it out, typical Holiday Inn Express breakfast, serviceable. If you're good with cereal and yogurt and defrosted pale yellow omelettes, you'll be happy. Some fresh fruit and milk available. I cooked my own breakfast in the room.

The location next to the harbor is wonderful, it makes for wonderful walks any time of day, gazing out at all the sailboats in the marina. Very clean, well-kept, nice landscaping. They have a few bikes to rent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Amarie0,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and that the festivities in the harbor were disturbing to you. We will be expanding and remodeling our property in the future to include a pool and workout room and that will make a long term stay more comfortable. Our staff do try to help our guests relax and have an uncomplicated stay. We will discuss your review.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Holiday Inn Express and Suites
Halfmoon Bay, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2012

After switching from a hotel next door,this was fantastic! We checked into two adjoining king bed rooms. Each room had a sunken living room with sofa bed,a jacuzzi tub and separate shower.The kitchen has a fridge,microwave and a two burner stove-top.The decor was gorgeous and we were on the first floor, looking right out at the beautiful marina full of sail boats..My family was thrilled..Breakfast was a typical HI Express ..which is always good.The cinnamon buns are to die for!! It was a little pricey but since I walked in and got two rooms adjoining for a pleasant experience, I did not mind too much!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Patty031.
Thank you for your great review. I am so glad that we could accommadate your request for adjoining rooms. Our staff is very focused on making sure our guests are comfortable. The view is the best. Were you able to visit the Harbor Village? Please come and stay again.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Holiday Inn Express and Suites
California
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Second time at this motel because of the price, great location and friendly staff. Enjoyed a large room with balcony view of harbor. Your right next to Ventura Harbor Village which offers shopping,restaurants, boat rentals, etc. You are also minutes away from Ventura Pier and downtown area. Great location to get away for a couple of days to play or just relax. There is a daily $10 parking fee but since wifi is free it evens out and I have paid higher rates for wifi at other motels. If you compare the much higher rates of other motels/hotels that are this close to the coast you will see why I keep returning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Chevynova,
Thank you for your review of our property and your insights. I am so happy you enjoy staying with us. We all love our area and the atmosphere of beach and town. I hope you will stay with us many times. Happy Traveling.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Holiday Inn and Suites
Reviewed July 16, 2012 via mobile

My famili and I chose this hotel because of location. Service was very friendly and the hotel was very clean. However, the breakfast wasn't out of the ordinary. Ibexpected a little more quality for what we paid. My daughter did not want to go back for the continental breakfast the seco d day. But in general we lo ed our room which included a kitchen.

• Stayed July 2012
Catherine S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ventura Harbor, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Dear Achiguamo,
Thank you for your comments on your stay with us. We have made additions to our breakfast choices but I will pass along your suggestions for variety. We do have a lovely setting and I hope you and your family return to enjoy the area again. Happy Traveling.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Holiday Inn and Suites Ventura
Palm Desert, California, United States
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I recently stayed here on two occasions, about a week apart. My first stay was better than the second, when we were put in a room (#354) with a broken bathroom fan, no wireless Internet, and a non-functioned TV remote. The remote was replaced and the Wi-Fi issue was patched together with a loan of a ethernet cable, which took care of the husband's laptop, but not my smartphone. The room also show possible signs of water damage in the bathroom vanity area, and the balcony seemed to creak and "give" when you walked out there, an issue I didn't notice when I was a few doors down the week prior.

Upon check-out I alerted the staff to the broken fan and still non-functioning Wi-Fi, and they expressed some sympathy that I was disappointed but not much else. As my husband put it, if this is how they treat their Priority Club members, what about the rest of their guests?

Last but not least, the parking lot area needed attention. A very flat, dead baby bird was still there a week later as was some guy's cigar butt on a parking lot curb. Don't they have gardeners or maintenance folks who can clean up outside?

Speaking of parking, why did I pay $10 a night for parking, but people who leave their cars there to take the airport connection bus to LAX only have to pay $5 a night? If the only difference was that they had to park further away from the hotel itself, I'll gladly walk the few extra steps.

Now that I've unloaded, it's worth mentioned a couple of positives--most especially the view of the harbor. It's not a bad location for people going to or from the Channel Islands.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Barbara B,
I apologize that your stays with us were not comfortable and pleasant. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I will address the ssues you mentioned with staff. We did do a major renovation in late 2008 and are going to be renovating and expanding the property. I hope you visit us again and we can reclaim your loyalty with Holiday Inn and Suites in Ventura, and you can enjoy the harbor views again.
Catherine Stevens, Guest Services Manager, Holiday Inn and Suites Ventura