“Gluten Free and Amazing”

Taj Cafe Indian Cuisine
Ranked #6 of 431 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Riverside, California
“Gluten Free and Amazing”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a fantastic restaurant offering most entrees gluten free. The waiter was attentive and knowledgeable about gluten issues. He even double checked the ingredients on a product just to clarify if my daughter could eat it. The food is very tasty and fresh. I highly recommend this fine restaurant!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Tammi B

Ventura, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Festival of Flavors”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Honestly, the Taj has to be one of Ventura's best restaurants. My wife and i eat at the Taj often and have always been wonderfully surprised by the festival of flavors delivered to our table, starting with the Garlic Naan Bread, drinking a Mango Lassi, feasting on the Mango Chicken and or a Massala dish....just sooo yummy. The staff is well trained, kind and the atmosphere is just right for a great night on the town.

1 Thank roy c
Ventura, California
“Good experience”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I’d had a bad experience with an Indian restaurant long ago and it stuck with me. A while back, I wanted to give it another try, so I went to the buffet lunch at the Taj on Main Street in Ventura. The nice thing about the buffet was I could take a very small sample from each of several dishes, and there was likely to be at least one dish that I could bear enough to get through the meal. And I liked everything. My problem hadn’t been the food, it was that long ago I’d hit a terrible restaurant. The Indian food at the Taj was very good.
For the last four years, I’ve been going to the Taj lunch buffet about twice a month, and it’s been consistently great and reasonably priced. Good staff, clean, nice décor & rest room.
It’s right in the middle of downtown Ventura, which has improved a lot over the last two years. I park in the free structure on the north side of East Santa Clara St., between California & Chestnut, in the same block as the Taj. After lunch sometimes I spend a little time walking on Main Street; downtown Ventura’s fun to walk.

4 Thank NandRW
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“An Indian not downgraded for those who detest spices”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We've lived in the USA for a while now and we love Indian food, enhanced by a two year period of residence in India ourselves, where almost every truck-stop is a gastronomic delight. However, most of the Indian restaurants in the USA and Canada we've tried serve an insipid watery stew, and when we ask why, the waiter or owner tells us that he is tired of complaints about spicy food, so s/he misses them out (and saves money). So for example, recently in an Indian restaurant in Lancaster, CA, we got a bit of stewed beef cooked in onions with a bit of cumin or soy sauce or something thrown in for colour. We left and had a hamburger nearby.

What a pleasant change to find properly cooked Indian food! I had a spicy lamb madras with nan bread and my wife the lamb in saffron. My wife's lamb was more a reddish concoction of cream and lamb, very mild indeed, but mine was the flavour associated with Indian dishes - an explosion of herbs but not overpowering the lamb, hot enough to sweat but not too hot to swallow.

The nan bread had been baked in a clay oven and was delicious - much better than the usual dished-up supermarket nan that tastes like a limp and chewy flour tortilla.

And to cap it all - some unusual beers like Sam Smith's India Pale Ale to wash it all down. Then finally the price, a very reasonable $58 for two, including several side dishes and beer.

4 Thank morris_minor_travel
“Brilliliant curry”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Went there based on review on TripAdvisor and didn't regret it, food is great and service is really prompt and friendly and great!

5 Thank Matthew B