“Great stop for a leisurely lunch”

Le Petit Cafe Bakery
Ranked #33 of 446 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We always stop here on our way to visit friends in Arroyo Grande. We have a leisurely lunch, plenty of outstanding food, good service in a relaxing outside eating area by the harbor. We sip our wine, watch the little birds take baths in the fountain or hunt for crumbs, and enjoy the larger birds circling the boats in the harbor.... a nice break from a fairly long drive. When we have finished eating, we stop at the bakery to pick up croissants and danish as part of our hostess gift if we are going north or to take home with us for our next couple breakfasts. One caveat, if we arrive after noon at Le Petit Cafe, the bakery goods may be a bit picked over, but whatever is left is always excellent.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Great patio with excellent service. Topped my recent business trip off with breakfast here and recommend highly.

1  Thank Dfleischer
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is a long overdue positive review for Le Petit Cafe. Recently my husband and I were looking for a place to celebrate a special occasion (our anniversary), and after mulling all the options, we realized we couldn't do better than coming to our fave restaurant (we live about 30 mins away.) First, the setting--it's on the harbor with outdoor seating. Indoors also has a great view. Simple, understated decor and intimate setting. The main attraction is the food. You can't go wrong with standbys like the famous crab cakes, and the always incredible homemade soups. This time we tried the special, catch of the day, which was superb. Everything here is fresh and hand made. We also love coming here for brunch. And yes, the desserts are outrageously good, but even the humble croissant is a masterpiece in the hands of the talented owner/chef Jean Luc. Prices are moderate, and I really love coming here. I could eat the pastries every single day (well, I used to when we lived nearby!). Try it.

1  Thank Joleneonthescene
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I went to Ventura for a weekend. We were wandering around the Harbor and decided to stop in at this bakery for coffee and pastries. They had a nice outside seating area with lovely umbrellas to sit under. IF you were eating, which we thought we were, but I guess not. You are not allowed to sit at those lovely tables unless you are ordering from their "real" food menu. That was our first disappointment here.
The biggest disappointment was the staff. They had a serious attitude problem. They altogether came off as rude, snooty, with an attitude like "we'll help you when we damn well feel like it."
We ordered 3 pastries and 2 cups of coffee for $22. They gave us one fork, one knife, and 4 spoons. They were all filthy. I actually noticed our waiter drop one of the spoons, then go to put it back on the tray until he saw me watching him. Then he put it goodness knows where and brought me another one. We could not get anyone's attention to change out our silverware and get clean ones, my husband had to go up to the counter to get it.
I didn't like the cream puff, but everything else was lovely.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I always have high expectations for French food...especially bakeries. The food was mediocre (including bakery) and prices higher than it deserved.