“Great escargot !!”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Great escargot !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

I can't vouch for the rest of the menu, but I was quite happy with the escargot, some bread and a nice red wine. Service was excellent, a very friendly waitress.

Visited July 2014

Solvang, California
“Yummy and pleasant!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had a most pleasant Friday evening meal here! Convenient parking directly adjacent to the restaurant in the back. Decor very nice. We shared a salad which was fresh and good. I had a shrimp entree which was most savory. Our server was pleasant and helpful. Before we left the proprietor actually came out to greet us which we appreciated. Fun to wander up the street and poke into several shops after dinner. We like downtown Ventura, and 71 Palm was the perfect choice for our meal! One small detail that was bothersome was that to me the restaurant smelled of fresh varnish inside. We were told that they were remodeling and repainting. A manager promptly came over and apologized for this inconvenience. Hopefully by the time you go this will no longer be an issue.

• Visited May 2014
Los Angeles
“Good French Country”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Just off of Main Street in Ventura, 71 Palm is like stepping into a French country restaurant. The menu has a wide selection and the wine list is a good mix of California and French. The Soupe à l’Oignon Gratinée was beautiful to look at and a taste treat. The Ruben sandwich special was juicy and very filling. They also make great pommes frites.

• Visited April 2014
Los Angeles
“Overpriced!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Nothing here would bring us back. $17 for two crab cakes?? Really?!? And cheap plastic chairs if you eat outside on the patio?? The food is good, but not exceptional and NOT worth their absurd prices. We had 2 appetizers, one salad, and one entree. No drinks, and our bill was still $100. Ouch. Service was ok. Food was beautifully presented. Dining area is quite small and you're really jammed in with other patrons.

• Visited April 2014
Santa Barbara, California
“High Price Poor Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

My first visit to 71 Palm in Ventura will definitely be my last. The food is mediocre and very overpriced. The service is poor and downright amateur. The owner/chef doesn't know anything about customer service, as I explain below. The best thing about 71 Palm is the semi-charming old house in which it is located -- not a good enough reason to go there.

We were a group of five and we arrived at precisely 5:00, our dinner reservation time. There were virtually no other customers in the restaurant at the time, since 5:00 is starting time for their dinner service. The hostess (who appeared to be young enough for high school) announced that our table would be upstairs. I pointed out that my 88 year old mother (who was standing there with the help of her walker) may have trouble going up the long & steep staircase. I asked if there is an elevator for my mother to use, and she simply said "No", with no attempt to apologize nor express any kind of sympathy for the inconvenience. The owner/chef was standing right next to the child hostess and he added, "You should have told us about your mother when you made the reservation". I kept my cool, but I thought, "What a jerk." There were plenty of unoccupied tables on the ground floor (where we were standing), so I asked if we could be seated downstairs. He said "No -- all of those tables are reserved", and they insisted that we had to be seated upstairs. No choice. Clearly, they didn't handle the situation with any kind of class, and I blame the owner personally. His game plan for the evening was to seat the upstairs first and he wasn't going to let anything change that. Inflexible and unaccommodating -- strictly amateur hour. If it were just up to me, I would have turned and walked out.

I'll be brief about my remaining observations, because I don't like rambling reviews. The "crab stuffed mushrooms" appetizer ($26) took about 35 minutes to arrive at our table, and it consisted of a single, small mushroom with a small scoop of crab meat, accompanied by a few pieces of lettuce. At virtually the same time, our entrees arrived. It happens to be one of my pet peeves when an appetizer takes more than 10 minutes -- and this unimpressive appetizer took 35 minutes. It's even worse when the appetizer arrives at the same time as the entrees -- but that's what happens when a low-end restaurant is pretending to be upscale. I commented to our server about the poor timing and all she said was, "Yeah, the kitchen is slammed." Naturally I wondered, "Did they find her at a truck stop diner?"

I ordered the filet mignon ($46) and I asked what sides are available to choose with it. The server informed me that it comes with potatoes au gratin and that the chef doesn't allow any substitutions. Again, no flexibility or willingness to try to please the customer. I'm not a big fan of potatoes au gratin, but if I wanted the filet mignon there was no other side option. Even MacDonald's gives you choices of side orders. Not 71 Palm.

The others in my party said their entrees were just okay, but I think they were being polite. We all agreed the service was poor and the prices were out of control, particularly considering the small portions and lack of side options. The owner/chef clearly doesn't subscribe to the old adage, "The customer is king". He thinks we're there to accommodate him. I know I won't ever be spending another dollar at 71 Palm, and I doubt that anyone in my family will either.

I highly recommend you go to Watermark instead, located only a few blocks down the street.

• Visited December 2013