“Local Coffee Place”

Java Joe's Coffee and Espresso
Ranked #9 of 19 Coffee & Tea in Ventura
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Its not in and out fast like Starbucks, but the girl or guy behind the counter will share a nice chat with you and usually knows most of the customers there. And the bakery items are made in house by one of the owners, the chef at Toki, which is in the same complex, nearer the street. The bakery items aren't all sugared up (which is a nice change) and I would recommend the Almond Joy cookie and the little bear claw.

For coffee, they have a huge selection of syrups and they serve them all the time, not just seasonally. And they have one, if not more, that I haven't seen at any other coffee place - lavender syrup. And they use it to make the most incredible drink, a White Mocha Lavender Cappuchino. I order it with 'half of everything' which is what you say when you don't like your drinks too sweet, so they put in only half the mocha and only one pump of the lavender.

And the best part is the stage. Every now and then they have performers, but they rent out the place for a super nominal cost for private jam sessions or parties or just let you use it if you are in need, it seems. My daughter was in a talent show at school and had no where to rehearse. She had never even sang into a mike and the owner let her and her little 6 yr old friends rehearse there for a couple hours after 3 pm, which is when they usually close. For that little bit of time the owner refused to charge me, but I made sure I tipped big on buying the kids cookies and apple juice and me big coffees, I was so appreciative. Staff and owner, needless to say, are very chill. A relaxing place to hang out, and they have Wi-Fi.