“Great value for the money!”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Ventura
CA
“Great value for the money!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have stayed at cheaper hotels in Ventura, but you get what you pay for. They were noisy, lacked outlets to charge electronics, had broken window latches, etc......

The Comfort Inn had several little touches that showed attention to details. Double-paned windows block out the sounds of the train, freeway, and nearby traffic and businesses. Power strips were placed in strategic locations for charging phones, computers, e-readers, and other electronic devices. A comfortable chair had a good floor lamp for reading, working, or watching TV. Walls were well insulated, blocking noise from the rooms next door. Coffee maker, microwave, and refrigerator are provided. One reviewer mentioned trouble with the A/C, but mine worked perfectly, cooled the room quickly, and kept it cool all night.

The only negative for me was the bed. The mattress wasn't the best for my back, and the pillows were older, I think, and had been compressed to a smaller square to make them look full. The smaller size didn't work for me.

But these were small things over-all. The front desk is staffed 24 hours, and is the only way into the hotel. Desk staff were very helpful. I felt safe at this hotel, an important detail to a woman travelling alone. The location was convenient, with easy access to the freeway, beaches, and downtown. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
ComfortInnVenturaGM, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
On behalf of our staff members, I would like to say thank you for your thoughtful words! We appreciate that you took the time to leave such a thorough review of our accommodations during your stay with us. Our ultimate goal is to provide our guests with the comforts of home while on their travels. While we are thrilled we were able to provide you with the additional amenities to enhance your stay, we would like to express regret for not providing you with the most appropriate bed and pillows. We understand that each guest has different needs, and we would like to apologize for not meeting yours. We have pillow top mattresses with the exception of a few firmer mattresses to try to provide the best fit for our guests. We would like to extend an invitation to stay with us again to see if we can’t find a better suited bed to provide you with your best night’s sleep. I am glad you felt secure and welcomed by our Front Desk Staff and found our location to be conveniently situated. Each of our guests is very important to us, so our efforts are spent toward providing everyone with a pleasant experience. We look forward to your visit soon when you are in the area!
Comfort Inn Ventura

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We weren't sure about the hotel when we arrived. It is quite small as hotels go. We ended up staying 2 extra days. The service was great and the hotel staff couldn't have been better. We switched to a suite and loved it. If your in the ventura area don't hesitate booking this hotel.
Kudos to the staff. We'll be back. The only reason they didn't get a 5 was the entrance to the hotel is a little hard to manuver around.

Room Tip: If you have a family book the suites. It's only a few dollars more and worth it. Feels like ho...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Phenixldy,
Thank You for taking your personal time to leave us such a rewarding review. Our staff was delighted to hear how we surprised you and exceeded your expectations. It is each of our team member’s top priority to make our guest’s feel comfortable and at home while they are on the road. As a result, travelers will experience a warm welcome, clean rooms, and agents who are attentive and excited to serve your individual needs. We are looking forward to learning more about you on your next visit to Comfort Inn Ventura!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel offers a place to sleep and not much more. The room was clean, a major requirement for me which is why I gave it an average rating, but the hotel is older and could use a good renovation. The air conditioner/heater is adjustable only by a remote control which quit working twice for no apparent reason. The unit emitted a musty, moldy smell when the fan was on. Opening the window helped, but then I had to deal with the traffic noise which is substantial as the hotel is just off the freeway. The walls lack the insulation to muffle sounds - I could hear the person in the next room noisily brushing their teeth. The internet connection was terrible; there were numerous networks listed (Comfort Inn 1a, Comfort Inn 1b, Comfort Inn 2a, Comfort Inn 2b, etc. etc.) so you had to guess which one would work, the passwords are ridiculously long/complex and change every Sunday, almost every time I opened my computer I had to go through the diagnostics to sign on again, the pages often froze if I tried to do too much at once, and it took so long for each page to load I finally just went to Starbucks to use their wi-fi. This was a major inconvenience as I was doing research for work and it took four times as long as it should have, not to mention that trudging to Starbucks several times a day was a pain. The second most inconvenient issue is the parking situation. If the (extremely small) lot is full, you have to park at the In N Out restaurant adjacent to the hotel. Of course, the restaurant is open late so the spaces closest to the hotel were filled up, which meant parking on the opposite side of the restaurant. And heaven forbid that you forget something in your car (as I did) and have to make the trip back to it at 1:00 a.m. The hotel offers a voucher for breakfast at Denny's, but does not offer a discount on the room price if you don't take the voucher. All of the front desk staff were very friendly and welcoming. However, I called the hotel from my cell phone to request an extension of my stay (as I couldn't find a room available elsewhere), and the clerk told me she would check and call me back. I did not receive a call back, but when I returned to the hotel many hours later, the clerk said she had tried calling my room several times to tell me I would not be able to extend my stay. 1. The phone had to show that I was not calling from my room, and 2. My cell number was in their computer - if she couldn't reach me in my room, why would she not then try my cell? I feel the hotel is overpriced, although they may have raised the rates because of the county fair. It was the only hotel in the area with rooms available when I called around. The La Quinta hotel, where I generally stay, offers clean rooms, breakfast on site, fast wi-fi service, a pool, and ample parking at half the cost. This Comfort Inn is not a bad hotel, but doesn't have much to offer other than the great location and the fact that it is clean.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
ComfortInnVenturaGM, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Mary S.,
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you not only for staying with us but for providing us with such an honest critique of your most recent experience at our facilities. Our utmost goal of customer satisfaction and dedicated efforts were clearly misdirected in this particular instance and so we humbly extend our genuine apologies. We furthermore would like to assure you that nothing mentioned within your constructive review will be taken lightly and that this sub-par experience will be shared, reviewed, and discussed with our entire staff so as to prevent such a recurrence in the future. We would lastly like to remind not only yourself but all our readers that we are here to serve you and ultimately create a positively memorable experience. As such, if at any time during your stay we falter to deliver on this promise please bring it to our attention and we pledge to deliver on our promise to you as our very valued consumer. Once again thank you, and we hope you will provide us with another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Warm Regards,
Jose R Preza
Hotel Manager
Glendale, California
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family stayed here one night a month ago as a quick getaway from L.A. Once you check in we were greeted right away and check in was a breeze. Our room was on the second floor and I would have to say the king sized bed was absolutely heaven. I think my whole family slept soundly throughout the night as we had a toddler with us as well. As far as breakfast, you are provided with vouchers for the Denny's which is just across the street. You have 4 items to choose from including eggs, pancakes, oatmeal, fruit, etc. You could also opt to use the voucher as credit towards something else on the menu which was also nice.
We would definitely stay here again. The only drawback was the lack of a pool but otherwise it was a good night's stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ComfortInnVenturaGM, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear JohnV104,
Thank you for sharing such uplifting words about your recent stay at Comfort Inn Ventura. We appreciate you taking a moment to explain how our special breakfast arrangement with Denny’s operates. We are proud to be able to offer our travelers a hot and fresh restaurant quality breakfast to begin their day. Although it is unfortunate that our property does not have a pool, we do have an exceptional location to offer. The ocean is two blocks away and there is a fantastic walking path that parallels the beach we have close access to. Our staff is very pleased to hear that we provided your family with a fun getaway and we would like to invite you return the next time you need a break from the big city!

Respectfully,
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I selected the Comfort Inn based on the previous good experience and the very convenient location (highway access) for an overnight stay when coming from L.A. International Airport and continuing north on Hwy 1. The duty manageress was very helpful explaining all I needed to know about my stay, including wireless internet and the out-of-door breakfast rules. The room was great for a single person; however, the wall to the adjoining room was so thin that I thought I had turned my tv on - it was the neighbor's. Neighborhood has fast-food restaurants only; for a good meal one would have to drive.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Georail
Dear Georail,
Thank you for your review! Our staff is very pleased to hear that you have stayed with us on multiple occasions and enjoy yourself. We look forward to seeing guests on various different stays as it allows us to learn more about you and your personal preferences. Thank you for noting the efficiency of our front desk agent while checking you in. Understanding information such as Wireless Internet passwords, the operations of parking, and our unique breakfast arrangement with Denny’s, is vital to ensuring your satisfaction. We hope that soon we will have the privilege to meet again on your third stay!

Kindly,
Mission Viejo, California, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This particular Comfort Inn is not typical for the usual style. It appears to have been a former hotel - with one entrance through the lobby. The carpeting throughout is old, somewhat musty smelling. The only elevator is a bit creaky. The rooms are clean, the bed comfortable but the walls are very thin, especially if you happen to be in a room with an adjoining door- the conversations from the guests next door was pretty graphic, which made us on guard about what we said and did - not a very comforting or relaxing way to be on vacation! Instead of the usual breakfast provided, they offer a voucher to the Denny's across the street, but you need to pick it up in the morning from the management prior to 9:00 AM. Overall - OK but only for a short stay.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Barbara C
Dear Barbara C,
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay. While we are very glad to hear that you found our beds to be clean and comfortable, it is regretful to learn that you felt uncomfortable in other regards. Our staff wants our guest’s to feel secure and at ease while on the road, therefore, we have adopted a goal to provide the same feeling of comfort a person feels while in their own home. We have shared your experience amongst each of our departments and we look forward to creating a relaxing atmosphere for you on your next visit. Please visit us in Ventura again soon!

San Mateo, California
Reviewed July 24, 2012

On a beach trek with my teen son and two of his buds, we stayed here two non-consecutive nights, and had a pleasant stay. Easy access off freeway, but very quiet at night. Close walk to Seaward beach and local restaurants. Our rooms were comfortable and clean, nice beds. Views from room? NO, we weren't planning to hang out in room, this was a crash and shower pad. We weren't expecting hi-end, and this was MUCH better than bargain basement. The rates were not lowest, but reasonable for what was provided... all considered. Breakfast vouchers for Denny's were kind of a plus... provided many options. Desk was courteous and efficient. We will stay again when passing through Ventura.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of their two room suites, perfect for families.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pleschy
ComfortInnVenturaGM, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay. Thank you for noting that while we may not offer views of the beautiful Ventura Coastline, we are within walking distance to the sands just off of Seaward Ave. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the value in our Denny’s Breakfast Vouchers. We will look forward to having you stay with us again on your next trip into Ventura!

The Comfort Inn Staff