“Emma Wood Beach”

Emma Wood State Beach
Ranked #18 of 72 things to do in Ventura
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have visited Emma Wood for years. When the kids were young, I had an RV and we would go to Emma Wood for camping. Right on the beach was lots of fun. We would all get up when the tide went out and check out all the rocks, fish, etc. I packed flashlights for everyone and that's the best time we used them. The beach has a beautiful view and just isn't packed and jammed like a Newport Beach is. That's the good part, not having to dig for a place to sit down. Now that I'm older, I stay in a hotel but always make a visit to Emma Wood. Still has that beautiful view. When you pay to get in they have the casey bathrooms, so you don't have to go without. Being on the beach takes my stress and worries away. After I come home, I am refreshed and calm. Wonderful time.

3  Thank Donna B
in 4 reviews
in 2 reviews
in 2 reviews

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went there for camping with a big broup! The camp gound was near the beach and actually you can walk to the beach in a few minutes. The location wasn't really ideal for real camping since it was between 101 and railroald, that will keep the noise
basically all night. The good thing about the camp ground was that no threating animals. And not many bugs....I believe something to do witht the cooler weather. You won't get sweat unless you jog or hikes, very comfortable. But it's cold in the evening and you need to bring a lot of logs for firepit. you can buy it on site, but Vons is 5 minutes away, so you can buy them there at anytime. They only had a outdoor cold shower( like beach shower). So you need to bring bathing suites to take a shower! Or you can use other water in the camp area to only wash your hair..... Restrooms were not that clean ,but while were were there at least, it cleaned twice..., but bring your own toilet paper! It's gone quickly and due to the beach climate, the paper gets wet... Also I recomment to bring hand sanitizer or even spray like Lyzol....that will help you totally! Bring extra blanket and warm jacket for evening. Parking was a bit of problem...if you don't come early enought,close parking to the campsite will be gone...and you have to park in other side parking area. Bring bloom and dust pan... there will be sand all over in your tent....
Bring ear plugs! There will be a lot of noise from 101 fwy and railroal..... dont place your tent close to 101!!! You won't be able to sleep without ear plugs..... Overall, it was fun. Becasus of the cooler weather, no bugs and no animals. When you take tent down, you don't really need to clean bugs on the tent at all. Did not even hear or see mosquitos either! It's a fun place to camp as a big group. We may go back there again!

1  Thank convention2000
Reviewed August 5, 2013

AMazing views, amazing location.. there are no amenities though. must be 100% self contained. no tables, fire rings etc. can't beat the view though. Easy to get into town, you can even ride a bike to town or the pier from here.

1  Thank Robert G
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Very nice beach clean and close to our condo, did not like to pay for parking lots of stuff for kids to do

See more reviews
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Emma Wood is a beautiful state park and beach. It is just on the northern edge of the city of Ventura and Ventura's river bottom a.k.a Hobo Jungle. Ventura has a significant homeless and transient encampment problem in and around the river bottom. Until recently Emma Wood has been free of the transient population and the problems that follow including trash, crime and drugs. The city of Ventura has "cleaned" out the river bottom and the homeless population has migrated into Emma Wood. Emma Wood has beach front camping and nice areas for walking, surfing and biking. Emma Wood also has a wonderful running/biking trail, that on the weekends is busy with running and biking clubs. Until recently I would have considered Emma Wood a family destination, safe for kids to have fun on their own. We use the Bike path every weekend and have started to notice less runners/walkers/bikers and more homeless and transients who seem to be living in the woods on the side of the path. For the first time in years we re starting to see trash, and signs of people living inside the park, Emma Wood no longer feels safe to us. It seems that hobo jungle is slowly migrating into Emma Wood. We go to Emma Wood to be exercise and be outdoors, it is so sad to see it being trashed. I would still recommend Emma Wood for now but be careful, don't walk alone and keep your kids close...but I do hope the city does something to protect the park.

4  Thank Yankeerunner