“San Diego comes to Ventura”
Review of Social Tap

Social Tap
Ranked #11 of 436 Restaurants in Ventura
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: Focusing on fresh, house made food along with specialty craft cocktails and beer. Casual atmosphere with friendly staff. Family friendly.
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

If you happen to find yourself in Ventura and craving the comfortable beach hangout scene of San Diego then you're in luck. Social Tap offers great, though not vast, selection of beer, wine & spirits and a great social scene. Watch out going to early on Friday or else you'll get I tangled with one of the local over-the-hill land sharks. Food was decent and reasonably priced.

If you're on the waiting list watch out! The duo of peroxide blondes took our number down, stating that it would be 25min. After 30min, having heard nothing and upon looking over to the hostess stand they were seating a larger party as they walked through the door who didn't have a reservation. After asking where we were on the list they replied that we were still on the list and as soon as a table opened we would be seated. Little flustered, I had to point out three tables that were empty and cleaned. The beach blond simply giggled and apologize in the form of "Oops!" Before seating us at one of the available tables. Over the place is great but keep an eye on the waiting list.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Long time ventura resident and lived in Pierpont for a number of years. Great selection of beer and this place is very clean with an outside patio that's very nice.

I had ceviche' and chili, and my daughter had the chicken burger. The ceviche had way too much guacamole' and not a lot of ceveche'. The chili was okay, nothing special at all, it was a bit bland. The chicken burger was excellent and huge. She loved it. It came with a large portion of fries which were okay - average.

The service today was extremely slow. It wasn't very busy when we arrived, and it took about 10 minutes before anyone came around to give water. After that it was another 10 minutes before taking our order. The food came out relatively quicker until we ordered a dessert. Then it was another 15 minutes.

After reading all the great reviews on this place I must have had an unusual experience. I'd give it another try and see if service is any better the next time. I think it deserves a second chance.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

This place has taken off and is full of people meeting their friends, watching games, and chillin. Beers and nachos are great. Most like the tacos. Atmosphere, people and music bring us back all the time

1  Thank SweetPeaVentura_CA
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This place is just great. The food is not your standard bar food. I love all of the burgers and the nachos are great to share with a group. There are lots of beers to choose from, too. They do a good job of mixing in local brews to their large tap selection.

They have taken advantage of their prime location by adding in tons of outdoor seating (with heaters for when the marine layer rolls in), as well as roll up doors that make the bar area an indoor/outdoor space. I also really like that they often have live music on Saturday afternoons.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Sunday at the Social Tap-on the beach, a fresh experience. Brrr, enjoyed it even more, once seated inside. Outside too breezy in Spring, even with heaters; patio will be very pleasant this Summer and Fall. Bloody Mary needed a vegetable garnish, but after a couple...I didn't miss it. yes, there was ample vodka in the drink. I liked the rimmed glass with spicy pepper flakes. My companions had mimosas, adeptly served-attentive bar service on the patio, with prompt provision of menu and utensils. This attentiveness is lacking in other Ventura bar/restaurants.Yippee, rum girls with free shots (mini shots, try it out...) Inside, the hostesses were equally attentive. No matter where, there were televisions, all on a different channel. We watched the Lifestyle Lift commercial for a half hour and during the fabulous entertainment by those virtuoso violinists the Shoemaker Bros. peppy funky bluegrass tinged rock, it looked like the Lifestyle lift lady was singing- a bit distracting but hilarious. Perhaps they could tune in actual programming. If I didn't have the Bloodies Mary-I might have made the suggestion! Food: I recommend fish and chips-a flavorful panko crust, tasted like cod but possibly it was swai. Moist, flaky. Three large pieces. We had nachos-good guacamole, small portion. and we had the chips and salsa. To start I had a bowl of vegetable soup with amazing thin spicy, pickled tasting vegetables. You can see the menu was developed by Chef Nieto, now not with Social Tap. His influence is definitely present. Spend a Sunday here-for three of us, drinks included (5 Bloody Mary, two Mimosas, plenty of water without even nudging for refills)- all that food, $70.00.